Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

ROUND THREE ANSWERS

1. Is constancy paramount? I overcame pledge, loved, attacked, sang. 

Answer: Mance Rayder, who was glamoured to look like Rattleshirt.

Other guesses: Tom of Sevenstreams / Sevenstrings, Petyr Baelish.

Explanation: Turncloak, singer, lover, warrior…

2. I can provide information.... Or perhaps, lavender after-shave?

Answer: Varys, who can apparently alter his appearance at will. (Is it magic or just great acting?)

Other guesses: None.

Explanation: Do we need it???

3. Trainee recites, evermore. 

Answer: Arya Stark, who has learnt how to put on a completely new face.

Other guesses: (There was one somewhere, maybe Theon.)

Explanation: She’s a trainee Faceless Woman, and she keeps reciting the names on her list.

4. In certain play, I opt past lass and study.

Answer: Sarella Sand / Alleras, a girl disguised as a boy, according to a strong theory at least.

Other guesses: Tyrion Lannister, Jayne Poole, Myrcella

Explanation: Sarella gives up a regular girl’s life and plays at being a student at the Citadel.

5. Illegitimate cawing precipitated illegal offing. Planned lure and slaughter.

Answer: Bloodraven, who was rumoured to be able to magically change his face, and indeed

Spoiler

there seems to be proof that he used glamour in The Mystery Knight to appear as Maynard Plumm.

Other guesses: Dareon, Jon Snow, Ramsay, Arya, Arnolf Karstark, Janos Slynt.

Explanation: Bloodraven invited the last Blackfyre (would be) pretender to take part in the Great Council, promising safe conduct, but had him arrested and killed as soon as he got there. Bloodraven was (originally) illegitimate, and cawing because he was (later) a crow / man of the Night’s Watch.

6. In change, piously, iron offerer promised learning at separation.

Answer: Jaqen H’ghar, the Faceless Man who can radically change his face / whole appearance.

Other guesses: Aeron Greyjoy, Victarion.

Explanation: It's all about his scene parting from Arya. He changes his face in the manner of the religious order of FM, with "change" also referencing the "iron" coin he offers her.

7. In cold pursuit, incurred one pyre, lost adjacent skulls.

Answer: Rattleshirt, who was glamoured to look like Mance.

Other guesses: Bran, Ned, Qhorin, Mance, Bannen, Dywen… (and half the population of the North).

Explanation: Rattleshirt pursued Qhorin and his team in the cold North. The pyre may refer to Qhorin’s pyre or to the fire that burnt Rattleshirt. He lost both his own skull and the one he had been using as a helmet.

8. Issued challenges. Plant image of playful laughter atop shield. 

Answer: The Knight of the Laughing Tree (Lyanna Stark and Howland Reed were also accepted as fully correct answers), who covered his / her face with a helmet and pretended to be a knight, which he / she probably wasn’t. (I had one more reason to include this character, as a super theme hint, which I will explain only at the end of the game.)

Other guesses: None.

Explanation: Self-explanatory.

Theme: Characters who had their appearance changed (magically or otherwise) in order to look like someone else.

11 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Answer: Sarella Sand / Alleras, a girl disguised as a boy, according to a strong theory at least.

Could somebody explain the language of the clue? (This is not a complaint and I think I could wait to ask this question, but i do not want to) :ninja:

1 hour ago, a free shadow said:

Could somebody explain the language of the clue? (This is not a complaint and I think I could wait to ask this question, but i do not want to) :ninja:

Being Alleras may be a game for Sarella. This is what Doran says to Areo about Sarella: "Leave her to her ... game."

The rest I understood as "Sarella opts for something better than being just a girl and she studies" (but it's a game for her). The author may give a better explanation later.

12 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Being Alleras may be a game for Sarella. This what Doran says to Areo about Sarella: "Leave her to her ... game."

The rest I understood as "Sarella opts for something better than being just a girl and she studies" (but it's a game for her). The author may give a better explanation later.

That is a good clue!

So, now you know what to do in order to safely get out of the storeroom in the castle: Look around, perhaps you can find some nice disguise in which you can look like one of the castle personnel (or simply use your magical abilities and glamour yourself) - it may give you a chance to search the castle unobtrusively. 

In the meantime, keep working on your new clue (if necessary) and don't forget to vote (the KotLT clue is not eligible).

Deadline: Wednesday, November 29th (tomorrow) 9 p.m. Central European Time. 

Also, if you have a super theme idea, you may as well share it with me. :)

10 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I gott three right. I am not somebody to compare to, ever, but three. I am not upset about it, but maybe it might make you less :ninja:

You are very kind.  And it does make me feel a bit better. :D

But it is not the score, it is the puzzle... I did not follow my intuition and it came from behind and bit me in the bum. :(  I may have become too emotionally invested.

ROUND THREE AUTHORS AND SCORES

1. Is constancy paramount? I overcame pledge, loved, attacked, sang. 

Mance Rayder sang for Castellan in this round (or perhaps Castellan sang for him).

2. I can provide information.... Or perhaps, lavender after-shave?

Varys gave advice to jezzie_bell on the choice of perfume and the art of finding out information.

3. Trainee recites, evermore. 

Arya Stark danced with rocksniffer (and rocksniffer danced with her).

Sarella, or perhaps Alleras, invited Ser Not Appearing to the Citadel (and kept him there as a fellow novice).

5. Illegitimate cawing precipitated illegal offing. Planned lure and slaughter.

Bloodraven whispered secrets to Raisin’ Bran through the weirwood.

6. In change, piously, iron offerer promised learning at separation.

Jaqen instructed Dolorous Gabe in the use of magic.

7. In cold pursuit, incurred one pyre, lost adjacent skulls.

Rattleshirt noisily shadowed a free shadow wherever she went (so she is probably happy to get rid of him at last).

8. Issued challenges. Plant image of playful laughter atop shield. 

The clue for The Knight of the Laughing Tree was laughingly prepared by Julia H.

Name / Score

Guessing points

Theme points

Bonus points

Favourite clue points

Total

Castellan

25+41=66

jezzie_bell

19+41=60

rocksniffer

17+24=41

Ser Not Appearing

(1)

0+9=9

Raisin’ Bran

20+20=40

Dolorous Gabe

31+40=71

A Free Shadow

18+39=57

STANDINGS

1. Dolorous Gabe: 71

2. Castellan: 66

3. jezzie_bell: 60

4. a free shadow: 57

5. rocksniffer: 41

6. Raisin’ Bran: 40

7. Ser Not Appearing: 9

The winner of Round Three is Dolorous Gabe, who was the first to solve all the clues and the theme, and received a favourite vote as well. At the moment, he is the player closest to the Book of Ancient Knowledge. Another perfect set of solutions was submitted by Castellan, who is also looking for the Book with great determination, and is nearly as close to it as Gabe. Raisin’ Bran, jezzie_bell, a free shadow (author of the most popular clue) and rocksniffer all made significant progress in the quest this round, and Ser Not Appearing remained true to his name.

Please, check your scores.

Well, almost all of you realized that you needed some useful disguise in order to appear to be someone else (while Ser Not Appearing simply disappeared from the storeroom). So now you are walking down a long corridor, dressed as one of the servants, carrying a large plate full of delicious food and drink. You stop in dark corners, where no one can see you, and sample the food and the drink. After all, you have seen other servants do the same (although they may have been your fellow-players in disguise). 

Anyway... you don't really want to spend too much time serving food, so you decide to slip away quietly. When you notice a "Do Not Enter" sign, your heart starts beating faster. Perhaps this is the way to the Book! Of course, you enter... and find yourself face to face with the most frightening giant bear / lion / mammoth/ wolf / kraken / dragon / spider (you choose) you have ever seen. There is no time to think - you drop the plate and RUN! Down the corridor, up the stairs, through a door and up the stairs again. Finally, the beast seems to have given up chasing you, and you can look around to see where you are. Well, it's a tower, with a good view of the neighbourhood (swamp). There is no way you will go back the way you have come - the beast might still be there! So once again, you need to find an alternative way to go... There must be a key word somewhere.... 

ROUND FOUR CLUES

1. Warrior incognito. Positively infected. Now dyed. Company man.

2. Wailed illustrations prompt insight: "Nephew’s dumbness caused misunderstanding!"

3. Watcher in principality: I'm nonnative, dutiful, capable, modest.

4. Wise input pointedly ignored; no dinner call merited.

5. Man unto egg fry.

6. Woman's incidents prevaricated, intimidating neobatrachia desiring courtship. Mom?

7. Witless iambic prose invokes necromantic dancing.  Curiously mantic.

8. Well, I'm penniless (ironically). Naive, deferential, credulous me.

Theme (key word): ???

5 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Of course, you enter... and find yourself face to face with the most frightening giant bear / lion / mammoth/ wolf / kraken / dragon / spider (you choose) you have ever seen.

It's definitely a bear. There's always a bear.

6 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

5. Man unto egg fry.

You can take this as my favourite, even if I find it makes no sense.

On 11/28/2017 at 6:32 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Do some really think Howland was the Knight of the Laughing Tree? It was clearly Lyanna! :P

semi canon sources support howland....however i also want it to be lyanna...

and i will also probably choose #5 because it forced me to blaze 2 bowls just to be sure i had copied it right...and then i went into the kitchen and fried me a couple of eggs....sadly no insight resulted...but hunger was abated

:smoking:

Archived