Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:25 PM, a free shadow said:

That is a good clue!

Well I'll be Mark Mullendore's monkey's uncle... a compliment.

But, yeah, I was just referencing the game of pretending to be a boy in order to study at the Citadel.

... with "past" not referring to inferiority so much as serving to indicate a negative on the lass front.

12 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Can you elaborate on the semi-canon sources?

From a storytelling POV it makes no sense at all for it to be Howland.

i just reread entire wiki and then went to world book which was cited and i freely admit i misunderstood. the source confirms crannogman was howland but stops short of naming him as knight...luckily i only needed knight as answer or you would have beaten me more soundly ;)

and for the record i almost had a better score but of course i abandoned rattleshirt in favor of night king...with abolutely no reasoning whatsoever...and of course i went with Egg for the one who when a youth had not wanted to marry or be a scholar, but to be a knight...i think i was hung up on the historical bloodraven clue which of course turned out to be the one i thought i had right from the beginning, but was not so...ramsay snow was a bastard who caused murder as a disguised person when he convinced theon to kill kids and he planned lure and slaughter of northmen and ironborn...he fit theme and clue...in my worthless opinion...

37 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

i just reread entire wiki and then went to world book which was cited and i freely admit i misunderstood. the source confirms crannogman was howland but stops short of naming him as knight...luckily i only needed knight as answer or you would have beaten me more soundly ;)

and for the record i almost had a better score but of course i abandoned rattleshirt in favor of night king...with abolutely no reasoning whatsoever...and of course i went with Egg for the one who when a youth had not wanted to marry or be a scholar, but to be a knight...i think i was hung up on the historical bloodraven clue which of course turned out to be the one i thought i had right from the beginning, but was not so...ramsay snow was a bastard who caused murder as a disguised person when he convinced theon to kill kids and he planned lure and slaughter of northmen and ironborn...he fit theme and clue...in my worthless opinion...

I also had Ramsay.  I thought "illegitimate cawing" referred to the bastard letter, which resulted in the mutiny at Castle Black, whereas the intention was to lure Jon to Winterfell for slaughter.  It made so much sense in my little head.   

I was convinced the Bloodraven clue was about Dareon's death, with illegitimate cawing beautifully referencing his singing at the Happy Port, directly leading to his killing, which was a planned lure and slaughter.

It was only after carefully going through my prelims (3 wrong, two of which I could tell were wrong so I focused on those first) that I started to question whether it might be referring to something else. I loved it as a clue about Dareon's death!

The Bloodraven clue I felt I had written well enough (of course I feel that way, I wrote it :P). I felt the "cawing" had to refer to a crow or raven as the subject, who in turn, "precipitated" the "illegal offing". The kill was considered illegal because there were actual consequences for the action (Ser Brynden Rivers was sent off to the NW). I did not think that Ramsay fit that mold despite him sending a letter to Jon Snow to lure him to his death.

Dareon, of course, was a crow who deserted. I felt that "planned" referred again to the subject and not the target. I will need to be more careful about that in the future.

59 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

The Bloodraven clue I felt I had written well enough (of course I feel that way, I wrote it :P). I felt the "cawing" had to refer to a crow or raven as the subject, who in turn, "precipitated" the "illegal offing". The kill was considered illegal because there were actual consequences for the action (Ser Brynden Rivers was sent off to the NW). I did not think that Ramsay fit that mold despite him sending a letter to Jon Snow to lure him to his death.

Dareon, of course, was a crow who deserted. I felt that "planned" referred again to the subject and not the target. I will need to be more careful about that in the future.

To be fair, it was a good clue. It was just unfortunate that it could be read very solidly in ways unintended. Clue-making can be a minefield.

I need to add a few things to my last post to really start the round:

You can ask your character for help twice, as in Round Three. 

One preliminary round.

Deadline: Wednesday, December 6th, 9 p.m. Central European Time. 

7 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

hey the cawing should have been the difference maker ...it was a good tip-off...however i was blinded because i just knew it had to be ramsay since he also fit theme, and no small addition was that i thought i had figured out historical clue that was not referenced in books, but character was...

all the signs were there...i voted for it as my fav before i knew if i had gotten it right...or wrong that is ;)

18 hours ago, a free shadow said:

House Other is now represented by its Castellan. On purpose :ninja:

Hm... ^_^

Several of you are doing quite well solving the clues and the theme, though the bonus five points are still up for grabs.

As a reward, I will tell you that it is possible to pair up the characters of this round from a certain point of view. (It does not mean that they necessarily are partners in any way in the novels, it is more about how they relate to the theme.)

The characters of Round Five have signed up to help you and sent you their raven messages. 

Your acronyms:

RFWRR

BNBNVSC

The deadline: Wednesday, December 6th (9 p.m., Central European Time).

As you are sitting quietly in that tower, you accidentally overhear part of a conversation through the door. Someone has apparently refused an offer. The voice somehow rings a bell with you, and you think you may have an acquaintance somewhere here, who may help you get a step closer to the solution.

Archived