Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

14 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

well hell then girl light a match and lets blaze a bowl... :commie:

I've had one going for a while now*... just follow your nose, Sniffer

*It has not helped with answers, but has helped to reign in my competitive spirit.

On 2017. 12. 13. at 6:18 PM, a free shadow said:

I am not, my own Castellan is :ninja:

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

Not no longer.

Well, having a castellan can be a good idea, especially if the castellan is like our Castellan.

34 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Well, having a castellan can be a good idea, especially if the castellan is like our Castellan.

I am not sure about that. II had thought when reading ASOIF that castellan was a cushy job but I did not realise they don't seem to be appointed unless there actually is a war on. I pictured enjoying some Lord's spare castle during peace time.

By the way, for a long time I didn't list my gender so what with being called Castellan I had some highly embarrassing conversations where men called me bro'.

I think our host likes to mess with my mind. She clues us into the fact that there are "some" obscured characters for this round, but is that 1 or 4? I want a clue to be who I think it is (and the character is obscure) but I just cant make up my mind,

On top of that, I only got 3/8 on my prelims, but I am told I can recycle some of my guesses for other clues. Which guesses? which clues? :bang:

There is an extension until tonight (Central European Time) or tomorrow morning (if I fall asleep too early) because the host is busier than she hoped she would be. 

If you go through my words uphthread, you may discover a theme hint... If not, you may try asking a certain lioness ;) for ideas.  Or Cortnay Penrose. 

58 minutes ago, a free shadow said:

My own clue is bad, but I really hate the 7th, because you don't know which of the persons it is :pirate: 

It's the bedmaid.

I will start the counting in about half an hour...

ROUND FIVE ANSWERS

1. Bound northwards, break nearby virtual silver chain.

Answer: The Greatjon Umber

Explanation: This is a reference to the Last Hearth (seat of house Umber), which is the last castle going north (so you should really break there), and it is near the last river (some bad poet could maybe call it 'a silver chain'), and broken silver chains are also on the Umber sigil.  Besides, Jon is in chains at the moment (albeit not in virtual ones), and we all hope that he will break them…

Secret characters: Mors Umber and Hother Umber (Last Hearth)

Other guesses: Jon Snow, Robb Stark

2. Religiously fanatical wife. Rebuffed repeatedly.

Answer: Selyse Baratheon

Explanation: She is a fanatical follower of the Red God, and she is rebuffed several times by Stannis (on and off page) when making various suggestions.

Secret character: Axell Florent (Dragonstone)

Other guesses:  

3. Bride/nurse broke nation. Voluptuous/slender curves?

Answer: Jeyne Westerling

Explanation: She nursed Robb when he was wounded and became his bride. As a result, the Frey alliance was broken and so on. Catelyn and Jaime have radically different opinions about her figure (hips).

Secret character: Rolph Spicer (The Crag)

Other guesses: Lysa Arryn

4.  Rivers flow.  Waters run red.

Answer: Catelyn Stark.

Explanation: Reference to Riverrun, the Red Wedding and Catelyn’s red hair in the river into which she was thrown after being killed. (I thought this clue was kind of poetic.)

Secret character: Brynden Tully (Riverrun)

Other guesses: Hoster Tully, Roslyn Frey

5. Brave northerner butchered. Noxious validation: "suitable chastening".

Answer: Jory Cassel

Explanation: He was butchered in the streets of King’s Landing because Jaime wanted to “chasten” Ned Stark. We know he was brave because he returned to help Ned after breaking free.

Secret character: Rodrik Cassel (Winterfell)

Other guesses: Smalljon, Qhorin, Rickard Karstark, Ned Stark, Robb Stark

6. "Revenge" fulfilled whereas revenge robbed.

Answer: Rickard Karstark

Explanation: He is robbed of his revenge when Jaime Lannister, who killed his sons in battle, is released by Cat. To fulfil his revenge somehow, he kills captive Lannister boys.

Secret character: Arnolf Karstark (Karhold)

Other guesses: Arya, Theon, Catelyn

7. Bedmaid notoriously bedded. (Nuptials vitiated.) Storm coming.

Answer: Delena Florent.

Explanation: She was bedded by Robert in Stannis and Selyse’s wedding bed, which spoilt their nuptials, and she became pregnant with Edric Storm. (I’m sorry to see that the subject of the clue was ambiguous. I really thought the “bedmaid” was the most obvious subject, as it is also the subject of the sentence, and the pregnancy also happened to Delena. The points will be awarded to everyone who guessed the situation.)

Secret character: Axell Florent (Dragonstone)

Other guesses: Robert, Edric Storm

8. Rabbits for wolves! Reply refused.

Answer: Benfred Tallhart

Explanation: Reference to the “Wild Hares”, a group of lances led by Benfred, young fans and supporters of the Young Wolf. When Benfred was captured by the Ironborn, he refused to answer any questions.

Secret character: Leobald Tallhart (Torrhen’s Square)

Other guesses: Gilly

9. Between nuptials, bedtime - nincompoop very suckily captured.

Answer: Edmure Tully

Explanation: Reference to the Red Wedding, where Edmure was captured after bedding his bride. The author apparently dislikes this character.

Secret character: Brynden Tully (Riverrun)

Other guesses: Jaime Lannister

Theme: Nephews and nieces of castellans.

The secret character was always the castellan uncle, and their secret help was the name of the castle they were castellans of. It was meant to be a theme hint, but also help with the actual characters, as they usually had something to do with the castle themselves.

I also tried to hint at the idea of castellan on the thread in various ways.

Please, vote for your favourite clue before 8 p.m. (Central European Time) on Sunday December 17th. (Do not vote for clues #7 and #8.)

If you have a guess for the super theme, feel free to send it to me. (You can change that guess any time you decide to.)

If you want to, you can also try to guess the winner of this round. ^_^

I haven't sent you your characters for the last but one round. I will do so today. There are two more rounds, but please, tell me if and when you want a holiday season break.  

The characters volunteering to help out in Round Six have sent their raven messages to you. To really secure your character's help, you need to create a clue for him / her. 

Your acronyms:

OSEM, LIEPPLIP

Deadline: Monday, December 18th, 8 p.m. (Central European Time).

the catelyn clue was slightly ambiguous to me...i wanted waters run red to = red fork and rivers flowing around riverrun...get it rivers run...so the obvious answer was hoster tully...until i got theme...though my first guess was rhaegar...trident flows and red ruby ford...and just as an fyi arya is a niece of the blackfish, as well and of course her revenge is fullfilled by the deaths of people on her list, but her personal revenge is ROBBed because she could not do it herself...

ah well this game is kicking my ass

and even though i can't vote for it benfred clue was my favorite

:smoking:

2 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

the catelyn clue was slightly ambiguous to me...i wanted waters run red to = red fork and rivers flowing around riverrun...get it rivers run...so the obvious answer was hoster tully...until i got theme...though my first guess was rhaegar...trident flows and red ruby ford...and just as an fyi arya is a niece of the blackfish, as well and of course her revenge is fullfilled by the deaths of people on her list, but her personal revenge is ROBBed because she could not do it herself...

ah well this game is kicking my ass

and even though i can't vote for it benfred clue was my favorite

:smoking:

I think the Catelyn clue could only be solved by knowing the theme and by process of elimination of other candidates, although it does fit in the end because its plural rivers which rules out people who died at the Twins at least. My first answer was Raynalf Westerling (or Raynard I can never remember his name). I liked him for it because he was actually bleeding when entering the river (they traced his footsteps). I used all my questions and secret help to get #1 and #4. 

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

I think the Catelyn clue could only be solved by knowing the theme and by process of elimination of other candidates, although it does fit in the end because its plural rivers which rules out people who died at the Twins at least. My first answer was Raynalf Westerling (or Raynard I can never remember his name). I liked him for it because he was actually bleeding when entering the river (they traced his footsteps). I used all my questions and secret help to get #1 and #4. 

yes i only got cat after i got theme...and i used all my questions and help and still missed 1 and 6...and my missed answers did fit theme...

i feel like the n00b this game...

:dunce:

Archived