Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

35 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Thanks to the one who had the good taste to vote for my clue. And kudos to the other with good taste that voted as I did for the brilliant Shireen clue. And fair play to the one who voted for the Jojen clue, which was also very good.

My author guesses had Castellan and Raisin' Bran the wrong way round. I had them right initially and changed them last minute for an erroneous reason I will keep to myself.

For the record I'm not a great fan of the bonus points system for the one to get everything right first. I feel I can say that at this point because it cannot seem like sour grapes if I got the points. We all will have different times at which we can properly focus on the clues during the  timeframe of the round.

Good round, good theme, great clues. Looking forward to the next.

that would be me...i laughed at the "pruned apples" especially when i thought it meant chopping heads...= pruning adam's apples but even more funny with double meaning...i knew it was edd...but i had to abandon him in favor of arya as the only answer for #2... ;)

16 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

that would be me...i laughed at the "pruned apples" especially when i thought it meant chopping heads...= pruning adam's apples but even more funny with double meaning...i knew it was edd...but i had to abandon him in favor of arya as the only answer for #2... ;)

I have to disagree with you about clue 2. I considered many maidens, including Arya, but when I finally considered Shireen and discovered its meaning I knew it was definitely her. I actually think it fits Brienne better than Arya, with eventide referencing Evenfall Hall and the rest referencing the horrible wager on taking her maidenhood. But every alternative interpretation is tenuous compared with the true meaning.

Thanks for the vote though :cheers:

On 11/14/2017 at 1:08 PM, a free shadow said:

My guess was Tyrion, who is a 'royal screwup', for being from the royal family and for being screwed up so very much and for screwing up so very much, and who had to get into rum (pickled) to make it onto the pig (oinked) for the first (early) mock-joust (melee) and then fell on his nose to get injured and laughed at (oinked), every word is accounted for with this guess, even 'whoopsie', while with Robert, not so much, including the word 'early', how does 'early' work for him?

Tyrion is screwed up but he rarely screwed up (imo). Pickled and oink work well. A joust is distinguished from a melee. Wrong tourney. (I'm stretching some, but it's a valid distinction in this series) I suppose you can argue whoopsie works. Early is a significant stretch. That should have tipped you off to the wrongness.

Robert beggared the realm, drank and whored his way into his own assisted murder and basically did nothing right, ever. He was terrible. His presence early in the book (and not present thereafter) defines it and sets the entire stage of the series. He overestimated (whoopsie, that hurt) his drunken ability to fight a boar.

Tyrion isn't a bad answer. But he's the worse one.

I'm sure you're persuaded.

8 hours ago, Julia H. said:

and jezzie_bell recognized the general direction of the exit

...like every single time I go to Ikea.

Congrats to Gabe and Castellan, and well done everyone.  That was an extremely difficult round. :cheers:

and a thanks to whomever voted for my Jojen clue :blush:

This is very much a tangent but considering that I couldn't even come up with Jojen despite that it was obvious, I finally began another reread... however I'm starting in Feast for Crows ... and this is very much not the place for my musing but I'm going to put it here anyway.

I found it kind of interesting that Sam mentioned he likes Ulmer's stories and I think someone should put them in a book. Is this perhaps one of the prequels that we have been hearing about under development by HBO?

I got SNAs clue using the extra information but after I did it reminded me of something else - his wedding night and every night of sex with Cersei since. His whoopsie was saying Lyanna, it was no doubt a pickled melee, a royal screw up that oinked, and the earliest of those. 

I want to tell you that you can have two preliminary theme guesses in this round as well.

A warning: The wiki probably won't be much help with the theme. Still, because I don't want to leave you totally in the dark (I know the dungeon is dark enough, but even there you can see some torches on the wall), I will tell you what you are looking for is, at least, not a small thing. I hope this will  make it easier for you to find it. 

Your characters for next round will soon send you their raven messages.

New characters have volunteered to help you in Round Three. They have sent you raven messages. You can accept your character's help by creating a clue for the character.

Your acronyms: TRE, ICPIOPLAS

Your deadline: Tuesday, November 21st, 8 p.m. Central European Time

On 11/17/2017 at 9:57 AM, Ser Not Appearing said:

This is very much a tangent but considering that I couldn't even come up with Jojen despite that it was obvious, I finally began another reread... however I'm starting in Feast for Crows ... and this is very much not the place for my musing but I'm going to put it here anyway.

I found it kind of interesting that Sam mentioned he likes Ulmer's stories and I think someone should put them in a book. Is this perhaps one of the prequels that we have been hearing about under development by HBO?

interesting question...answer, like many of y'alls clues, is not known...by me...

and i blew off jojen as well but instead went for meera the paste maker...ah well

An enchanted castle is a weird thing, What's happening now, for example? Patchface :dunce:  didn't sign up to help anyone this round, yet the fool has suddenly appeared in the dungeon, and now he is dancing and singing here, in the middle of our quest!

Hey, Patchface, Patchface, what are you doing? Be quiet! Someone will hear! :ninja:

(We don't want the garrison to discover us, do we? :bang:

No correct theme guess so far... Yet, the theme is right there with you in the dungeon. Just grab one of those torches and take a good look around... 

At last, Patchface stopped singing (in the middle of a song). :cool4:

(But perhaps you heard some of it.) :ninja:

Your characters have agreed to come to the rescue for a second time this round and cast light on something you want to know. The general conditions are the same as  the first time. 

19 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

That is the sort of thing that makes people wish you burned in the seven hells simultaneously.

That's not right...

you forgot the eighth one that we reserve for people like Al Franken and George Takei  #ettubrute

I hope when I discover the meaning of some of these clues I will be satisfied that they make sense. These are about characters in A Song of Ice and Fire right? Right???

This could be a bigger fall than rocksniffer's in the previous game! Careful, sniffer, rock bottom could yet be mine!

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I hope when I discover the meaning of some of these clues I will be satisfied that they make sense. These are about characters in A Song of Ice and Fire right? Right???

This could be a bigger fall than rocksniffer's in the previous game! Careful, sniffer, rock bottom could yet be mine!

I have no doubt they are ASOIF characters - I just had 3 or 4 characters that would fit some clues. O f course that usually means theres a 4th or 5th that fits better.

Archived