Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

ok here is my 2 cents...first i voted..and there was a clear yet cunning clue which deserved it, in my not so humble opinion.

that being said i thought it, #3, was the perfect clue for dany...she avoids getting burned because the words about the eggs was wrong and her decision was corroberated when she not only lived, though her clothes burned, but the eggs hatched in dragon...the ultimate gargantuan...however once i knew that was wrong, i knew the hound and/or the mountain were the only other characters that could credibly be described with that word. then it was easy.

i have an issue with a different clue...and without naming it, i will just say i thought theories and forum speculation were not to be included in our clues. i think and will be glad to be proven wrong, that a part of this particular clue was based not on the text but on a fan theory.

ah well...

:smoking:

14 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

... i thought theories and forum speculation were not to be included in our clues. i think and will be glad to be proven wrong, that a part of this particular clue was based not on the text but on a fan theory.

It's a blurred line. We've had clues, I think, that refer to Sandor as the grave digger. We've had clues, I think, about Jon as a secret Targ. These are pretty well accepted and widely known even if you're in the minority. These are almost accepted, almost factual.

A clue about the High Sparrow that relies on a belief that he's part of the GNC, though? Bad idea.

19 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

It's a blurred line. We've had clues, I think, that refer to Sandor as the grave digger. We've had clues, I think, about Jon as a secret Targ. These are pretty well accepted and widely known even if you're in the minority. These are almost accepted, almost factual.

A clue about the High Sparrow that relies on a belief that he's part of the GNC, though? Bad idea.

yes i think i remember grave digger, and of course the cursed r+l=j...however in this clue the part in question is only mentioned in a foot note as a fan theory...and when googled all info is based on fan theory from places like reddit and here on forum up in book section...

but hey no worries i got more right this round than last so i guess i can't complain...

...except to say it is getting awfully crowded down here at the bottom...some of you people need to get off my lawn

:smoking:

10 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Can't I visit my cursed brother now and again? ;)

sure why not,,,,just remember this dungeon is BYOB... :cheers:

10 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I hear he and Ser Pounce make a real splash when they get together

:leaving:

:lmao:

10 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Ser Puddles is the nickname people gave to the White Walker Sam melted/killed...

ahhhh i see... :mellow:

ROUND TWO AUTHORS AND SCORES

1. The special(?) powers of the foxy roaster, Melisandre, served Raisin' Bran in this round.

2. Samwell Tarly tried (I mean really tried) to help (in his own way) Ser Not Appearing.  

3. Sandor Clegane, like a faithful dog, was ready to serve and protect jezzie-bell all through this round.  

4. Tyrion Lannister did his best to support a free shadow.

5. Varys served on Castellan's Small Council in this round.

6. The clue about Jon Snow (and his kin) was prepared by Julia H.   

7. Davos Seaworth served as Dolorous Gabe's Hand for a whole round.

8. Illyrio Mopatis partied in a cave full of torches and shadows with rocksniffer, and they both had a great time.

Name / Score

Guessing points

Theme points

Bonus points

Favourite clue points

Total

Raisin’ Bran

7+13=20

Ser Not Appearing

6+3=9

jezzie_bell

22+19=41

A Free Shadow

18+21=39

Castellan

16+25=41

Dolorous Gabe

9+31=40

rocksniffer

16+8=24

STANDINGS

1-2. Castellan: 41 and jezzie_bell: 41

3. Dolorous Gabe: 40

4. A free shadow: 39

5. rocksniffer: 24

6. Raisin’ Bran: 20

7. Ser Not Appearing: 9

The winner of this round is newbie jezzie_bell, who solved almost all the clues (with the exception of only one) and guessed the theme almost perfectly. She now takes the lead in the quest for the Book of Ancient Knowledge, together with Castellan, who was the only one to perfectly guess the theme. After breaking the door down, Dolorous Gabe left behind his theme points for this round, but, as the maker of the most popular clue, he runs so fast that he is only one step further away from the Book than jezzie_bell and Castellan. He is closely shadowed by a free shadow, who submitted the second-best set of guesses of the round.    

Please, check your scores.

17 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Almost voted for Castellan's clue, fwiw.

Oh its worth something! I voted for DG because I thought it was a nice classic clue.

Great guessing, Jezzie Bell.

Yes, well played Jez (apart from the clue. An anomaly though, I think, and I still rate your clue-making highly).

Thanks to those who voted for mine. I think it was a decent clue of 4 words but a better round of clue-making would certainly not have seen it gather the most votes. I voted for Sniffer's, which was also a decent clue even though I have a slight issue with it and I failed to get it.

I think we're seeing the value of the author points system. An advantage can be gained by making a clue too difficult.

ROUND THREE CLUES

So now you are in the castle proper and can start looking for the Book of Ancient Knowledge. The problem is that you don't know exactly where to find the book; besides, the castle is full of people. Since some of you made a lot of noise breaking down the door and running from the guards, it is probably a known fact now that there are intruders in the building.

Just a few minutes ago, you almost bumped into a group of servants hurrying busily down a corridor. Fortunately, in the last moment, you managed to jump behind a door and hide in a room that resembles a storeroom. You hope to be able to sneak out soon; however, this particular corridor turns out to be especially crowded. Servants come and go every minute. Are they making preparations for a special event? Or are they looking for somebody? (Is it you??? :eek: Or one of the other players?) You wait for a while but then you get bored (besides, you have a quest to complete). You are starting to wonder how you will get out. As it happens, there are two other doors in the room, but both of them are locked. Truly locked (not magically). Worse even, you don't know what is behind those doors. So what can you do to be able to continue your quest? :dunno:

You pick up a small book that lies among the things scattered all over the room, open it and take a glance at a random page, where your attention is caught by a list of riddles (or clues). :read: You start thinking about them, not even suspecting yet, that solving this puzzle may provide you with the solution to your present problem. 

1. Is constancy paramount? I overcame pledge, loved, attacked, sang. 

2. I can provide information.... Or perhaps, lavender after-shave?

3. Trainee recites, evermore. 

4. In certain play, I opt past lass and study.

5. Illegitimate cawing precipitated illegal offing. Planned lure and slaughter.

6. In change, piously, iron offerer promised learning at separation.

7. In cold pursuit, incurred one pyre, lost adjacent skulls.

8. Issued challenges. Plant image of playful laughter atop shield. 

Theme: ???

A warning: It may be necessary once or twice to venture into theory territory. I don't think you need to go too deep into this quagmire or to very unfamiliar ground though, and I can promise that hitting on the right theory will have its rewards. In addition, for one of the characters / clues a little bit of historical knowledge will be useful. It is relatively recent history, and it's all in the wiki. 

Deadline: Tuesday, November 28th, 6 p.m. Central European Time

2 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Yes, well played Jez (apart from the clue. An anomaly though, I think, and I still rate your clue-making highly).

Thanks to those who voted for mine. I think it was a decent clue of 4 words but a better round of clue-making would certainly not have seen it gather the most votes. I voted for Sniffer's, which was also a decent clue even though I have a slight issue with it and I failed to get it.

I think we're seeing the value of the author points system. An advantage can be gained by making a clue too difficult.

i voted for you because i enjoyed the double meaning of alight...the fires being lit and him alighting on the rocky spears... i had him from the beginning ...a clever and yet cunning clue perfect for davos :cheers:

i shall add my congrats to @jezzie_bell for a great round...and i must say to all that clue three was clearly the hound...it was the first one i got after prelim fiasco...however i must still take issue with varys' royal connection...that is clearly a fan theory, and completely made that clue all about fake aegon...and/or tyrion...but hey what do i know... i must submit to the castellan for her consistent ability to dominate this game... ;)

and to our host... @Julia H. with your story telling skills, you would make a hellofa dungeon and dragons dungeon master... :bowdown:

9 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

i voted for you because i enjoyed the double meaning of alight...the fires being lit and him alighting on the rocky spears... i had him from the beginning ...a clever and yet cunning clue perfect for davos :cheers:

Thank you :cheers:

I liked it for the double meanings. "rocked" also had a double meaning.

But if that clue had been in R1, I would say at least 4 clues would have beaten it.

I'm interested to see how my R3 clue plays out.

10 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

. i must submit to the castellan for her consistent ability to dominate this game... ;)

if coming right in the middle or a little lower nearly every single game means dominate....I am a DOMINATRIX!!!! Who knew? 

I admit I forgot all about the fan theory rule but I would say the Blackfyre idea is pretty ingrained in the forum ... an alternate clue was ended "royal children??" which was based on the rationale he gave Kevan ... I guess you'd have liked that better. I never try to make my clues hard, and definitely not misleading, I just try to get one done. 

3 hours ago, Castellan said:

if coming right in the middle or a little lower nearly every single game means dominate....I am a DOMINATRIX!!!! Who knew? 

I suspect there is a confession hidden in this self-deprecating joke :P

3 hours ago, Castellan said:

I never try to make my clues hard, and definitely not misleading, I just try to get one done. 

I have to admit, "royal connection?" threw me off completely too.

But then, Sniffer's clue had "King's boy", which was inaccurate.

That said, those were two of the better clues of the round.

I think we should all accept responsibility for a bad round of clue-making, as Ser suggested.

I'd like to add a few things to my previous post. (It was too late at night for me to include everything when I posted the new clues.)

I said you might have to venture into theory territory (just for this round - I'll try to avoid this in the future). However, it does not mean you need to choose between competing fan theories (like who Jon Snow's mother was). Please, remember that none of the clues will require you to do that.

Now about the help you can receive: There seemed to be a bit of confusion about that last round. There have been three different types of help offered to you by your characters so far. In this round you can ask for help twice. 

Each time your character will appear magically and will let you choose what kind of help you ask for. It can be 

either

1. the answer to a yes-no question about anything but the super theme

or

2. a random piece of information about the subject of a chosen clue

or

3. sending your character on a spying mission.

You can choose any two of these options, or you can use one of these options twice.  

For the time being, I think there will be only one prelims round both for the clues and the theme (which is probably easier this time than in the first two rounds).

Let me remind you of the super theme guesses...

The characters for Round Four have sent you their raven messages. Read them carefully. 

The acronyms for the new clues: MUEF, WIPINDCM.

The deadline: Tuesday, November 28th, 6 p.m. Central European Time.

On 11/23/2017 at 9:15 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Thank you :cheers:

I liked it for the double meanings. "rocked" also had a double meaning.

But if that clue had been in R1, I would say at least 4 clues would have beaten it.

I'm interested to see how my R3 clue plays out.

yes your double meanings were on target...

18 hours ago, Castellan said:

I admit I forgot all about the fan theory rule but I would say the Blackfyre idea is pretty ingrained in the forum ... an alternate clue was ended "royal children??" which was based on the rationale he gave Kevan ... I guess you'd have liked that better. I never try to make my clues hard, and definitely not misleading, I just try to get one done. 

dominatrix...my kinda girl...

15 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I suspect there is a confession hidden in this self-deprecating joke :P

I have to admit, "royal connection?" threw me off completely too.

But then, Sniffer's clue had "King's boy", which was inaccurate.

That said, those were two of the better clues of the round.

I think we should all accept responsibility for a bad round of clue-making, as Ser suggested.

viserys was a king's boy what is inaccurate about that my brother....

Archived