u.s. media: lmao you thought politics was bad

all swedes are racist

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, unpaid comintern said:

somebody please pack bari weiss and the entire nyt op-ed board into a space ship and launch it towards the oort cloud

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/opinion/were-all-fascists-now.html

lmao jfc
https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/971549937862397952

On 3/7/2018 at 6:14 PM, unpaid comintern said:

somebody please pack bari weiss and the entire nyt op-ed board into a space ship and launch it towards the oort cloud

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/opinion/were-all-fascists-now.html

See this political cartoon, it pretty much says everything that needs to be said about the state of far too many op-ed pages.

When this op-ed issue first emerged I admit I though it was kinda silly.  I grew up having to wade through George Will and Charles Krauthammer's ridiculous thoughts in WaPo every week.  As long as the new guys' shit is fact-checked and edited (which, yes, I realize the failing starts there), who gives a shit?  But, thinking about it, I'm now totally on board.  If the NYT and WaPo can set an example that "both sides" is fundamentally a flawed a concept, it's their job to do so.  They do still have that influence on the rest of (legitimate) political media, and it's their responsibility to send that message.  Now, I just have to think about how I frame this message in my Media & Politics prep.

23 hours ago, Squab said:

In 1984, to be a true liberal one must be willing to show someone what freedom is by stopping them from speaking.

I don't think this is something unique to any political side, just to awful people. You're Australian like me, yeah?

Well the Abbott/Turnbull governments have made it illegal for anyone to publicise in any form whatsoever what goes on in the refugees camps on Manus Island. Doctors, social workers and teachers are prohibited from visiting at all because mandatory reporting laws mandate that they must report child abuse when it is suspected.

It's nothing to do with being a liberal, as Abbott and Turnbull are not. It's just people in power don't like contrary opinions, or to have their flaws exposed.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:52 PM, Squab said:

In 1984, to be a true liberal one must be willing to show someone what freedom is by stopping them from speaking.

In 2018, to be a true human being one must be willing to say that your attempt at social criticism is pathetically juvenile.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:40 PM, Yukle said:

I don't think this is something unique to any political side, just to awful people. You're Australian like me, yeah?

Well the Abbott/Turnbull governments have made it illegal for anyone to publicise in any form whatsoever what goes on in the refugees camps on Manus Island. Doctors, social workers and teachers are prohibited from visiting at all because mandatory reporting laws mandate that they must report child abuse when it is suspected.

It's nothing to do with being a liberal, as Abbott and Turnbull are not. It's just people in power don't like contrary opinions, or to have their flaws exposed.

An authoritarian regime 

1 hour ago, GAROVORKIN said:

An authoritarian regime 

Hmm... Not really. Authoritarian tendencies in that one respect, but not in others. Authoritarian regimes are significantly worse than that, as they are restrictive and do not allow any outside participation or sharing of power.

I think it's typical of governments to cover-up their worst sides. Even open and democratic societies will not expose absolutely everything that goes on. I wish they wouldn't, but at least it's only some things.

My original intention for the post was to point out that it's ridiculous to say that suppressing dissenting views is a "liberal" thing to do.

20 hours ago, Yukle said:

My original intention for the post was to point out that it's ridiculous to say that suppressing dissenting views is a "liberal" thing to do.

Its Orwellian to shut down someone talking and call yourself "liberal" or "Liberal".

3 minutes ago, Squab said:

Its Orwellian to shut down someone talking and call yourself "liberal" or "Liberal".

... I am not sure I follow. I re-read the thread so far and can’t find anyone saying you can’t have your views. Disagreement, sure, but no attempt to say you should be barred from a voice.

6 minutes ago, Squab said:

Since when?

"Don't catcall" is a pretty standard left-wing position these days and is very much about shutting down someone talking.

Archived