Real world sightings in the books?

Sigella

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I never even made the connection the first time I read the books. I saw it as a nod to the Faith of the Seven. 

I did but I also thought GRRM was hitting us over the head with Renly's sexuality where a lot of people didn't see it at first. The stuff from AGoT could go either way, even the cressen description. Stannis' quip and asking Loras to pray with him pretty put the nail(s) in the coffin.

Just posting the SSM to back up what's already been said:

The Rainbow Guard isn't meant to symbolize Renly's sexuality. It was more of a culmination of several unrelated things, such as the fact that he'd already used white for the Kingsguard and black for the Night's Watch. A rainbow is seven colors combined together in one object - he compared it to a shamrock being a Irish Catholic symbol of the Holy Trinity, three parts which make up one thing. Plus it has seven colors and is tied to the Seven, plus worshipers of the Seven use prism rainbows in their temples.

-SSM 1316, MAY 06, 2005

6 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

I did but I also thought GRRM was hitting us over the head with Renly's sexuality where a lot of people didn't see it at first. The stuff from AGoT could go either way, even the cressen description. Stannis' quip and asking Loras to pray with him pretty put the nail(s) in the coffin.

I knew the dude was gay, I just didn't make the rainbow connection.  

Another cool thing is each member of the Rainbow Guard had their own color like a Power Ranger..However Loras never had a color and it always bugged the crap out of me. I guess he didn't want to be the indigo Knight. Although being the Lord Commander you'd think he'd get dibs on which ever color out of the seven he wanted.  Maybe it was for the best their was no indigo Ranger as everyone would think he was a secret Targaryen or Dayne.

18 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

It's a reference to the rainbow being a sacred symbol in the Faith of the Seven...

I also don't see the correlation between the title of the thread and the OP...

15 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I agree. With both.

11 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

I don't understand how the title fits with the OP. 

Well, since the rainbow is a real world symbol of gay-pride, I think it's a real world sighting within the books. Unintentional maybe, but still there.

6 hours ago, ChuckPunch said:

Honestly GRRM's claim that the gay pride flag wasn't a factor at all in his creating the Rainbow Guard is horse hockey. Sure, it wasn't a huge factor or even a significant one. But he HAD to be aware of it when writing this.

You've got to remember, he would have been writing Clash about twenty years ago, the rainbow flag has become a lot better known since then. I was going for a drink with my dad a few years ago and he suggested a bar with a giant rainbow flag over the entrance. He genuinely had no idea what it meant, and he's younger than GRRM. He's probably less worldly wise than GRRM, but still, it's very possible for someone that age not to make the immediate connection.

13 hours ago, mankytoes said:

You've got to remember, he would have been writing Clash about twenty years ago, the rainbow flag has become a lot better known since then. I was going for a drink with my dad a few years ago and he suggested a bar with a giant rainbow flag over the entrance. He genuinely had no idea what it meant, and he's younger than GRRM. He's probably less worldly wise than GRRM, but still, it's very possible for someone that age not to make the immediate connection.

I know... I mean even the University of Hawaii wasn't even thinking about changing the name of the Rainbow Warriors back then. 

Archived