The dragon bond - inherited memories?

Lord_Pepsi_Cupps

There’s been speculation that the dragon bond/link is similar to skinchanging, and might even mirror it - the connection between human and animal, the way the death of one affects the other, etc.

Just wondering: could it be that a dragon retains an ‘imprint’ of its dead riders, which a new rider might either have access to, or at least have some connection with, after they bond with the dragon?

These may not be clear memories, or a separate personality, but maybe certain parts of previous riders survive in the dragon. More than that, if the riders could have a second life in their dragons, which might go on to bond with a new human. In fact, i bet every dragon rider would, if they could, jump inside their dragon right before they die - why wouldn’t you??

Bran can feel a long-dead CotF inside a raven, if i’m not mistaken. Same principle - a new “rider” senses an old one, at least in some way. Maybe with practice he could get more access to the imprint.

Imagine bonding with Balerion, omg. May be part of why Maegor insisited on bonding with him, to get access to ‘Aegon’. And although it’s not said anywhere, i assume Visenya shaped Maegor’s ambitions and plans, and that kween knew things.

It's a great idea, and touches on one of the biggest mysteries in the book: i.e. what happens when you die.

No evidence yet, but there's a good chance that one or more dragon riders will die in the coming books.

12 hours ago, Lord_Pepsi_Cupps said:

Bran can feel a long-dead CotF inside a raven, if i’m not mistaken. Same principle - a new “rider” senses an old one, at least in some way. Maybe with practice he could get more access to the imprint.

I don't know. Varamyr sensed Orrell in the eagle, but there was no communication between them, and no sense that the eagle had a human intelligence. It was Orrell's hatred of Jon Snow that lived on strongly.

On 05/11/2017 at 0:22 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

We have no evidence that dragons can be warged or skinchanged.  That's cheating.  There would be no need to ride them if they can be skinchanged. 

it comes down to how you interpret the ‘magic’ that in Westeros/North is referred to as skinchanging. You wouldn’t ride a wolf, a squirrel or a raven because you couldn’t ride them (for obvious reasons), but Varamyr does ride the bear he skinchanges, because it’s large enough to carry him.

If you *could* skinchange a dragon, you would still ride it (I would think!) - the two aren’t mutually exclusive. “No need to ride them” isn’t the same as “wouldn’t ride them” - who would say no to flying around on a virtual unstoppable nuclear weapon, even if they could control it from a distance instead? Also, the connection between human and animal may compel behaviours that would seem unnecessary to us (the whole thing about how the human starts taking on the animal’s traits).

This is based on assumptions of course, but so is saying that the dragon-link is different to skinchanging - so it’s about which assumption is more sensible to make. If we’re given a detailed explanation of the nature of a human-animal bond (skinchanging) doesn’t it make sense to assume that the most important human-animal bond of all (dragon/dragonrider) would work on the same principles?

Archived