US politics: Just another Mueller Monday

IheartIheartTesla

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Fake Robocalls in Virginia Telling Voters There Polling Station has Changed.

http://wtkr.com/2017/11/07/aclu-fake-calls-from-gloucester-number-telling-voters-their-polling-place-has-changed/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/We are now entering the Banana Republic Zone.

African Americans would tell you that we've been there for a while - they've been dealing with this kind of shit for a century or more. Now Democrats get to understand what minorities have felt like. 

It sucks.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Fake Robocalls in Virginia Telling Voters There Polling Station has Changed.

http://wtkr.com/2017/11/07/aclu-fake-calls-from-gloucester-number-telling-voters-their-polling-place-has-changed/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/We are now entering the Banana Republic Zone.

I think you've missed many a road sign, my friend. 

34 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

African Americans would tell you that we've been there for a while - they've been dealing with this kind of shit for a century or more. Now Democrats get to understand what minorities have felt like. 

It sucks.

32 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I think you've missed many a road sign, my friend. 

Yeah, you're both right. We've come way too far down this road, no doubt.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

No need to register in Michigan. If you want to be a member of the Democratic party, then you pay $10 dues per year. At any rate, my bumper stickers on my car already tell people who I vote for.

Looking at Virginia, the strong(ish) polling numbers make me feel a little better. I think Northam will still pull this out, but it will be a long night as the big urban areas always report last.

I think Gillespie pulls it out in a nail biter.  And that is depressing.

8 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I think Gillespie pulls it out in a nail biter.  And that is depressing.

A Gillespie win will give an extremely frightening road-map to victory for Republicans in 2018 races.

It is hard for me to believe that Virginia Democrats could elect a sleazy politician like McAullife in 2013 (a much worse year for Democrats) and then fail to show up for a bland inoffensive guy like Northam. 

But what do I know?  Polling is close; I'll make no predictions. 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

I haven't seen so many people on the streets with the I VOTED sticker on their coats since the Presidential last year.

You know, if this sentence was NOT true, something would be gravely wrong. :)

On 11/5/2017 at 1:31 AM, Rorshach said:

Since I’m not American, I’m wondering about what coverage this gets. 

Mostly because I’m not at all surprised that Mugabe has rather strange laws made. After all, that has been his MO for years, if not decades. And ms. O’Donovan isn’t the first person to be charged with insulting Mugabe and plotting to overthrow the government, even if she is the first Twitter user to be charged. 

What is the political issue here, as you see it?

An American citizen has been detained over patently tyrannical anti-free speech laws in a state run by a thug. This is well worth sanctions and even armed intervention. 

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It is hard for me to believe that Virginia Democrats could elect a sleazy politician like McAullife in 2013 (a much worse year for Democrats) and then fail to show up for a bland inoffensive guy like Northam. 

But what do I know?  Polling is close; I'll make no predictions. 

Are you high, Maith? Northam is far from inoffensive. He's pro-life, pro big business, and has said healthcare is not a right. He's also publicly flirted with changing parties.

Sure, he's far from a Trumpet. But he's a DINO if anything. ;) 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, you're both right. We've come way too far down this road, no doubt.

That particular dirty political trick is old hat. I'm pretty sure I've been hearing stories about it since at least 2004. It probably goes further back, but that's the first presidential election year where I was paying more or less full attention. (Somehow it didn't demand as much of my time when I was 16 [96] or had just turned 20 [2000] and was unsuccessfully trying to avoid becoming homeless.)

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think that happened by and large because Sanders supporters have always suspected that there wasn’t a level playing field during the primaries and Clinton supporters have always mocked them to some degree for believing so, and now in their eyes they have proof that they were right. Again, I think it would go a long ways if Clinton supporters would extend them some measure of sympathy, but to this point I’ve yet to ever see it.

I sincerely doubt that Sanders will run again, and even if he does, he doesn’t have to win. The primary winner, and their supporters, just have to be less condescending towards the Sanders crowd, and thankfully I suspect that Harris will be the winner, so that won’t be a problem because I’m sure they can gravitate to her.

Here's the real question, will we find out that Clinton did exactly the same shit in 2008 and this is the real reason she stayed in (not the super delegates, or at least her buying the dnc was why she expected to get the super delegate votes) but obama was able to overcome her capture of the DNC with actual votes in actual contests.

i still find it amazing that obama defeated Clinton by running up the margin in confederate states and Clinton defeated sanders with the exact same tactic.

2 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Are you high, Maith? Northam is far from inoffensive. He's pro-life, pro big business, and has said healthcare is not a right. He's also publicly flirted with changing parties.

Sure, he's far from a Trumpet. But he's a DINO if anything. ;) 

Northam policies certainly aren't pro-life.  His voting record is pro-choice, he's endorsed by Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood, and his website is explicitly pro-choice.  I don't know what you're going on there, has he said something pro-life at some point in his life?  If so, I don't care if he has.

Pro big business?  Uh, he's a democrat, that's pretty standard. 

Healthcare is not a right?  I don't know what quote you're referring to.  His policies on healthcare are very mainstream Democrat.

DINO?  Please.  There's more to Democrats than the far left, and Virginia is not California.  There's a reason Northam won so comfortably over the Sanders-endorsed Perriello.

8 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

That particular dirty political trick is old hat. I'm pretty sure I've been hearing stories about it since at least 2004. It probably goes further back, but that's the first presidential election year where I was paying more or less full attention. (Somehow it didn't demand as much of my time when I was 16 [96] or had just turned 20 [2000] and was unsuccessfully trying to avoid becoming homeless.)

Yeah, apparently these were a thing during the General...

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2016%2F11%2Fscreen-shot-2016-11-03-at-11-32-31-am.png&w=700&q=85

https://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/screen-shot-2016-11-03-at-11-05-02-am.png

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/nintchdbpict000280090408.jpg?w=960

/Vote by Text! Lulz. I suppose if you fall for that you probably shouldn't be voting. Still, generating these sorts of ads/texts should be punishable by law.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Northam policies certainly aren't pro-life.  His voting record is pro-choice, he's endorsed by Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood, and his website is explicitly pro-choice.  I don't know what you're going on there, has he said something pro-life at some point in his life?  If so, I don't care if he has.

Pro big business?  Uh, he's a democrat, that's pretty standard. 

Healthcare is not a right?  I don't know what quote you're referring to.  His policies on healthcare are very mainstream Democrat.

DINO?  Please.  There's more to Democrats than the far left, and Virginia is not California.  There's a reason Northam won so comfortably over the Sanders-endorsed Perriello.

I was trying to do a nudge nudge thing. I did read those little factoids about him recently though, I'll try to find them before I go out tonight. 

He just looks like republican lite to me, but again I'll get back to you as soon as I can. 

24 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Here's the real question, will we find out that Clinton did exactly the same shit in 2008 and this is the real reason she stayed in (not the super delegates, or at least her buying the dnc was why she expected to get the super delegate votes) but obama was able to overcome her capture of the DNC with actual votes in actual contests.

i still find it amazing that obama defeated Clinton by running up the margin in confederate states and Clinton defeated sanders with the exact same tactic.

I don't think it matters, and I really don't care to know if she did or not. Not sure why relitigating 2008 would be beneficial when it's not even clear if relitigating 2016 is.

And it's not surprising, a lot of Obama people helped Clinton in 2016. Politics, like sports, heavily relies on copycatting other people's successes. 

23 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, people keep overlooking this. You have to run candidates who can win, not pass a purity test. 

On a side note, I'm starting to lean more and more on the idea that charisma matters more than where they fall on the liberal spectrum when it comes to winning nation wide and in purple states.

Also on a totally different note, I just got a push notice that the Senate GOP tax blueprint is looking very different from the House GOP's plan. That's an interesting development. 

4 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Positive news of the minute: Apparently Fairfax (and Falls?) have already exceeded 2013's vote count with 1½ hours to go ...

Any reporting on how the lines are looking at the polling stations? 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Any reporting on how the lines are looking at the polling stations? 

Haven't seen anything. I'm just seeing millennial vote seems to be higher in high millennial counties (also Dem). Turnout is still down compared to a presidential year but it looks up from 2013 in places Dems need it to be up.

Archived