Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IheartIheartTesla

US politics: Just another Mueller Monday

410 posts in this topic

Virginia looking red tonight. 

Nearly half the precincts are reporting in Loudon County. Although Gillespie didn’t need to win it in order to win statewide, he needed to be competitive. He’s down 18 points.

Let's do this.

3 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Virginia looking red tonight. 

Huh? Northam is running +6 based on current returns and estimated votes per county.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Huh? Northam is running +6 based on current returns and estimated votes per county.

Aah, CNN is way behind. I've switched over to fivethirtyeight now

1 minute ago, WinterFox said:

Lol

Ben Tribbett, who is kind of a semi-respectable commentator, has called it already. (For the good guys.)

And Wasserman from 538 too.

Wow, this is a fucking knock-out.

Edited by denstorebog

Yeah, 538 is actually thinking of calling it for Northam at this point, which seems a smidgen premature. 

Looks like turnout among white liberals was way up relative to other gubernatorial elections.

At this point 30% of the precincts are in, Northam is ahead by almost 15K votes, and the Democratic strongholds should be the ones to come in late in the evening.

It's by no means a sure thing, but it looks encouraging so far.

Edited by Paladin of Ice

Are you guys telling me to hope again?

Oh no, don't do that. Not any more.

I think we're in for a pretty exciting night, and not exciting in a "is democracy going to die" way as much as "exactly HOW much are we going to win" way.

EDIT: Fuck, wait, disregard that. No, don't start hoping for anything again, ever.

Edited by denstorebog

I thought you didn't hope for DINOs anyway. (Sorry, couldn't resist the chance for a little light teasing.)

ETA: Virginia's elections website now has 35% of districts in, and Northam's lead has jumped to around 27K. Some of the tightness is going out of my chest.

Edited by Paladin of Ice

Also, seems legit that we're getting our first ever transgender delegate tonight.

Huh. Maybe a truly good day amidst all the darkness. I'm down! :) 

2 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I thought you didn't hope for DINOs anyway. (Sorry, couldn't resist the chance for a little light teasing.)

Hey, fair game. I couldn't find that article I was reading either, I think I found it through Yahoo. 

On 11/7/2017 at 7:50 PM, WinterFox said:

Well, I certainly wouldn't advise you to strut around an aircraft carrier saying "Mission Accomplished", but perhaps a bit of cautious optimism is in order.
Of course, to be honest, I'm a bit of worrier, and won't be relieved until it's over.

Looks like Democrat strongholds finally are turning out

God, I came here in a panic since I had looked at CNN a while ago. Keeping my fingers crossed for y'all!

Well, as good as the results are in Virginia for Dems (and they do appear to be good) the governor race is basically treading water; the real interesting thing is the state house race, which appears against all odds to possibly be switching or at least heavily leaning towards dems. The first transgender delegate looks to be in, a bunch of other races that dems barely looked at appear to be going for Dem, etc. 

That's interesting, and points to a possible swing back - especially for gerrymandering. That might give hope.

Also, I encourage all of you to volunteer as an election observer if at all possible. It's amazingly fascinating stuff, and I am really bought into the Washington state system of voting now after seeing it. Everyone should do vote-by-mail the way Washington does. It's simple, fast, has an absurd amount of transparency and everything is built around making sure that your vote counts. If there is a better system to do voting, I don't know it.