US politics: Just another Mueller Monday

IheartIheartTesla

Surprise surprise. Donna Brazile creates shit storm over Clinton control that didn't even happen

From early June 2015 until mid-September of that year, the Democratic National Committee operated without a communications director.

In normal years, this would have been a problematic, perhaps embarrassing, staffing failure—and nothing more. But the timing of this particular vacancy made it operationally catastrophic. Just as the presidential campaign was heating up, the party’s main political arm was understaffed in a key department.

When the committee finally filled the void, it settled on Luis Miranda.

Miranda had served in the Obama administration’s communications shop and was well liked among his peers. One thing he was not, however, was the first, second, or even third choice of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

In fact, he hadn’t really been on the campaign’s radar at all. Clinton’s team had sent the DNC several other options for the post, top among them Jess McIntosh, who had been serving at the time as the communications director of Emily's List. But according to half a dozen sources, their requests were ultimately set aside by then Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who was won over by Miranda’s pitch to emphasize her as the election year ramped up.

“Out of the blue they give it to Luis and it is all because he promised her [DWS] more TV time,” said a Democratic source familiar with how the post was filled. “This was September 15th. The number one priority wasn’t taken out the Republicans in Iowa. It was getting the chair more time on TV.”

25 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Bull-fucking-shit. I suppose it's just miraculous coincidence that Miranda was announced as Comms Director within one week of the timetable imposed by the Clinton camp in the memo.

Just more ass-covering by the Clinton faction. I guess they think if they just keep shoveling enough manure, the left won't notice that Democrats are neck-deep in horseshit.

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Bull-fucking-shit. I suppose it's just miraculous coincidence that Miranda was announced as Comms Director within one week of the timetable imposed by the Clinton camp in the memo.

Just more ass-covering by the Clinton faction. I guess they think if they just keep shoveling enough manure, the left won't suddenly notice that Democrats are neck-deep in horseshit.

It's not going away. 

6 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Just more ass-covering by the Clinton faction. I guess they think if they just keep shoveling enough manure, the left won't suddenly notice that Democrats are neck-deep in horseshit.

Donna Brazile also said this weekend that she saw no evidence that the primary was rigged. But I'm sure that she's covering for Clinton too now.

8 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

What coincidence? No one is disputing the fact the Clinton campaign wanted there to be a Communication's Director in the middle of primary season given the role had been unfilled for months. What the article is disputing is that Miranda was their choice. If you're going to disregard everything as a cover up but provide no discussion of the operational relevance of the Memo, then that's your choice. Given Brazile's own comments and how clearly she has misrepresented the story to her own ends, hard for me to disregard this as readily as you do.

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Donna Brazile also said this weekend that she saw no evidence that the primary was rigged. But I'm sure that she's covering for Clinton too now.

Yeah, just keep fucking that "rigged" primary chicken when I've already said on 3 occasions that it wasn't rigged in the sense of guaranteeing a Clinton victory.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

What coincidence? No one is disputing the fact the Clinton campaign wanted there to be a Communication's Director in the middle of primary season given the role had been unfilled for months. What the article is disputing is that Miranda was their choice. If you're going to disregard everything as a cover up but provide no discussion of the operational relevance of the Memo, then that's your choice. Given Brazile's own comments and how clearly she has misrepresented the story to her own ends, hard for me to disregard this as readily as you do.

I've already discussed the operational relevance of the memo, and that Brazile is a self-serving hack complicit in the destruction of the DNC who is just trying to get out in front of this thing by pretending to be an outsider, which you've chosen to ignore on several occasions.

But, I suppose it's just happenstance that the article relies entirely on sources from the Clinton campaign, who are the same saintly, unbiased group who self-sacrificingly signed a memo that single-handedly saved the DNC with no benefit whatsoever to the campaign. 

Oh, wait, that's not what happened? Color me fucking shocked.

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Yeah, just keep fucking that "rigged" primary chicken when I've already said on 3 occasions that it wasn't rigged in the sense of guaranteeing a Clinton victory.

Sorry, are you mistaking me for Donna Brazile? She used it in the same wrong way that you do. But hey,  instead of someone's actual statements being shown to be either misleading or flat-out incorrect and then using them as evidence, perhaps you could...not do that?

Because ignoring evidence and stating that everything that doesn't meet your viewpoint is a cover-up sounds suspiciously like what you accused me of doing. 

You still haven't gotten back to me on how half the Democrats were against Clinton and refused to vote for her.

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I've already discussed the operational relevance of the memo, and that Brazile is a self-serving hack complicit in the destruction of the DNC who is just trying to get out in front of this thing by pretending to be an outsider, which you've chosen to ignore on several occasions.

But, I suppose it's just happenstance that the article relies entirely on sources from the Clinton campaign, who are the same saintly, unbiased group who self-sacrificingly signed a memo that single-handedly saved the DNC with no benefit whatsoever to the campaign. 

Oh, wait, that's not what happened? Color me fucking shocked.

You've discussed the operational relevance by giving ideas on how Clinton could've used the JFA to gain some advantage. You have yet to show me an example of where she did (she could get mass mailers from candidates early but did she? She could veto or have the DNC hire from her list but did she?). This article clearly says she didn't get a chance to use it in one of the clearest elements of the agreement that you have harped on multiple times.

It could be all Clinton cronies and 100% bullshit as they cover their ass. I don't know. I just know it undercuts your argument and Brazile's if true. 

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Both sides are just covering themselves in shit at this point. It's high time the DNC and Hillary kissed and made up. Figure out how to best use her in an elder statesperson sort of role and come up with a cogent strategy for the mid-terms.  

I'd rather they stop harping on the past, let Clinton go into the night, hope that Perez fixes this shit and look to 2017/2018. So tired of this infighting and shit throwing from all sides.

People need to stop getting hung up on the term “rigid.” No, the outcome was not predetermined in the sense that Clinton was guaranteed a win, but the process was also shady and unfair, and worse, it’s going to undermine the legitimacy of the victorious primary candidate for cycles to come.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Both sides are just covering themselves in shit at this point. It's high time the DNC and Hillary kissed and made up. Figure out how to best use her in an elder statesperson sort of role and come up with a cogent strategy for the mid-terms.  

I'd prefer they simply shut up and enjoy a quiet retirement.  There is nothing the Clinton's can do to help the cause at this point, they can only harm it.  Time to set the bruised ego's aside, reflect on their decades of public service, and just go the fuck away already.  Dwelling on 2016 is not a good strategy for Dems winning in 2018 or 2020.  

2 minutes ago, S John said:

I'd prefer they simply shut up and enjoy a quiet retirement.  There is nothing the Clinton's can do to help the cause at this point, they can only harm it.  Time to set the bruised ego's aside, reflect on their decades of public service, and just go the fuck away already.  Dwelling on 2016 is not a good strategy for Dems winning in 2018 or 2020.  

I'm cool with that too.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

People need to stop getting hung up on the term “rigid.”

I don't think anyone is hung up on 'rigid'. Tumescent perhaps, but not rigid. Also, possibly 'hung'.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, the outcome was not predetermined in the sense that Clinton was guaranteed a win, but the process was also shady and unfair, and worse, it’s going to undermine the legitimacy of the victorious primary candidate for cycles to come.

Sanders has already poisoned that well for anyone not named Sanders. 

"Rigged" is a meaningless term in this discussion as there is no agreed upon definition. Further, it started to be used after Trump, falsely, began claiming that the vote might be "rigged' against him. By continuing to use it we not only do ourselves a disservice by using a moronic word brought to popular discourse by a Cheeto Kakistocrat with a "good brain" but also giving credence to the bullshit that he is constantly spewing.

11 minutes ago, S John said:

Yeah, this is more less where I’m at too. They should still make appearances at major party events and do some quiet fundraising, but I don’t see what value they add beyond that going forward.

Also, Bill’s presence could be rather problematic going forward considering the fallout of the Weinstein scandal.

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I don't think anyone is hung up on 'rigid'. Tumescent perhaps, but not rigid. Also, possibly 'hung'.

Sanders has already poisoned that well for anyone not named Sanders. 

Ha, that's a pretty funny typo.And I don’t see any value in isolating Sanders. It seems like just about everyone involved owns some share of the blame.

21 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Some of the stuff being breathlessly reported isn't exactly that shocking.  (Yeah, people invest through Cayman and Bermuda vehicles.  It's often for tax reasons. Color me surprised).  The scope of the data breach here is really scary though.  Appleby is a real law firm - pretty reputable.  This would be on par with Cravath or S&C (or *gulp* my firm) getting hacked.  I mean, there is a whole bunch of privileged information that is now available for everyone.  Data privacy is a huge concern for law firms and this is exactly why.  And frankly, to the extent that any of this has to do with any privileged advice given in context of a white collar defense/investigation, it should be disturbing to everyone.   

Maybe, maybe not. One of the Trump's cabinet's members business ties to Russia however has a politicial dimension. As he should divested from those businesses.

From a European perspective, there is also quite a bit in it. That the Isle of Man is a new tax haven just outside mainland Europe, is not a scandal itself. However, some of the stuff going on there is outrageous. E.g. the big producer for slot machines in Germany, who is also actively advertising with responsible gambling (and not exploiting compulsive gamblers). He is violating German gambling laws. In Germany running those virtual slot machines on the internet is forbidden (under German law). Yet, through some legal constructs, he is circumventing those. The bit with the responsible gambling. If you sit in front of those things in the real world they shut down after an hour, as some sort of protection for the players (German law and stuff). Their virtual counterpart do not do that.

The German tax authorities would probably also like to have another talk to the Engelhorn family and collect roughly 300mil in taxes.

So there's quite a bit in it, apart from Lewis Hamilton not paying taxes for his jet.

Archived