What are you listening to Ventiquattro - Dont let Life pass you by.

DireWolfSpirit

In Old Man Mode I often lament how there haven't been nearly enough iconic rock voices since that Alt explosion in the early 90s gave us Vedder, Cobain, Cornell, Yorke, Corgan and Staley. Since then only maybe Jack White is in their league on that score (and I say that not as a hater of what rock came hence - in fact as a pretty big fan of "new" rock bands like The Mars Volta, The Strokes, The Hives, Arctic Monkeys and Queens of the Stone Age).

Speaking of The Mars Volta, I was such a big fan of the Antemasque project from TMV's Cedric and Omar a few years back that when they released new At The Drive In this year I was initially underwhelmed by what felt a little too much like a backwards step at the time, but after a few months I came back to it, expectations in check, and then it sunk its teeth in real nice.

Brace yourself my darling ... brace yourself for a flood

• 3 weeks later...

Going through another retro-binge, mainly Van Morrison, one of my favourites. He’s such a contradiction, by all accounts a surly, caustic borderline misanthrope to work with, but Astral Weeks in general and Madame George in particular might be the most empathetic album/song I’ve ever heard. And not in a sacrine way, in a very deep, darkly rooted and bare naked examination of what love is when the who changes. 

How can the guy you hear about as, according to his own manager, ‘unbearable off stage’ be the guy who demanded of himself and by extension his listeners either empathy for an aging transvestite from 60’s Belfast, or if not a long look in the mirror about what love and humanity means to you? I know, never confuse the artists with their art, but this is...it seems a gun shooting in opposite direction. 

And as with any mention of Astral Weeks, I will HIGHLY RECOMMEND reading Lester Bang’s review, simply the greatest piece of rock journalism ever written. 

https://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/murray.wood/astral.html

Thank me later. 

Edit: I realize there are posters here who were alive when Astral Weeks hit, though in the ‘critics were agog/listeners wondered where Brown-Eyed Girl had gone’ way. Does anyone here remember anything about it in it’s own time, like the late sixties/early 70’s?

On 29/12/2017 at 8:53 PM, Triskele said:

Old thread had died.

Eddie Vedder seriously might have one of the best voices of all time.  It's an illusion because the myriad bad copy-cats in the 90's colored people's thoughts of Vedder himself which should never have happened.  It's like blaming Thom Yorke for Matt Bellamy.  

Check out this version of The Waiting with Petty and the Heartbreakers.  

I remember reading something years ago which compared Eddie Vedders voice and style to Anthony Kiedis’ which really amused me at the time, being as Eddie Vedder an awesome voice, and Anthony Kiedis doesn’t at all.

On 29/12/2017 at 10:14 PM, Davrum said:

In Old Man Mode I often lament how there haven't been nearly enough iconic rock voices since that Alt explosion in the early 90s gave us Vedder, Cobain, Cornell, Yorke, Corgan and Staley. Since then only maybe Jack White is in their league on that score (and I say that not as a hater of what rock came hence - in fact as a pretty big fan of "new" rock bands like The Mars Volta, The Strokes, The Hives, Arctic Monkeys and Queens of the Stone Age).

Speaking of The Mars Volta, I was such a big fan of the Antemasque project from TMV's Cedric and Omar a few years back that when they released new At The Drive In this year I was initially underwhelmed by what felt a little too much like a backwards step at the time, but after a few months I came back to it, expectations in check, and then it sunk its teeth in real nice.

Brace yourself my darling ... brace yourself for a flood

Corgan always seems to have polarising views to me, lots of people can’t stand his voice, personally I really like it, I’d not say he was a ‘good’ singer but his voice is certainly iconic and really suits SP.

Listened to The Cribs Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever the last couple times I went to the gym. Been years since I've given it a listen. Good shit. Ignore the ignorant is good, too. Looks like they've had a couple albums since then. Need to give them a shot.

Archived