Football: Just Slaven Away

Nas!

Hmmm.  Well, Bilic clearly had to go, so at least West Ham got that part of it right (finally).  They didn't sack themselves, which would have been ideal, but then Sullivan probably would have promoted his children to the board, so maybe we dodged a bullet there.

I'm trying to stay positive about the impending hiring of David Moyes.  He certainly wouldn't have been my choice to do the job at this point in his career, but he may have enough to keep us up if the players bother to follow his instructions.  He is certainly a manager who has something to prove.  Those 11 (mostly good) seasons at Everton are starting to fade in the collective memory and, if he goes down with another Premier League club I'd say his career as a top flight manager is probably done for good.

So, all in all...fun times ahead for West Ham fans?

3 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

this appointment will thrill him.  he thrives to be cynical and dour towards his team.  that covers moyes perfectly.

Fortune's always hiding!

7 hours ago, Rorshach said:

I just hope we don’t end up with Allardici while you get the Moyesiah. Would be sad (SAD!) for all parties involved.

The key difference is that Big Sam has a (quite extraordinary) record of keeping struggling teams in the PL.  I'd have preferred him by a long shot. 

Not confident that Northern Ireland can get a result tonight, but here’s hoping.

ETA: Incredibly harsh penalty gives Switzerland a 1-0 lead going into the second leg. Switzerland were definitely the better team, but still hard to take when a poor decision from the referee is what ends up separating the two teams.

3 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Not confident that Northern Ireland can get a result tonight, but here’s hoping.

ETA: Incredibly harsh penalty gives Switzerland a 1-0 lead going into the second leg. Switzerland were definitely the better team, but still hard to take when a poor decision from the referee is what ends up separating the two teams.

Yeah that was rough. Looked like it hit his back/shoulder blade.

So...

Italy knocked out by Sweden. And even though Italy were better today, they rarely threatened. On this basis, they won’t be missed. 

Those are strange words to write.

More along normal lines: I’ve seen it reported that Silva will turn down or has turned down an approach from Everton. Well, he does seem competent.

So, Italy managed to get themselves out of the World Cup. Tragic for Buffon, who would be the first player called up to six World Cups.

Amazingly, Ventura managed to not play Insigne in this match for some reason. It's incredible to believe that the country that probably has more top managers than any other had this guy as it's manager.

At least the other big sides to miss out were either a total mess or up against high-quality opposition. Italy's absence seems to just be Ventura's incompetence. Sweden will bring little to the World Cup next summer - they are Forsberg and little else.

I only saw the first half of Italy V Sweden, but Sweden had two hand ball penalty shouts shot down from the ref that very easily could have been given, yet NI ended up knocked out for a ‘hand ball’ penalty that was nowhere near as strong of a claim as either of Sweden’s. The inconsistency in refereeing at the highest level is a disgrace.

Anyway... with NI missing out and Italy not qualifying tonight, I guess I’ll be cheering on England and Spain in Russia.

Archived