Football: Just Slaven Away

Nas!

29 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

We did improve as the game went on and although the goal was a proper fluke, huge deflection off a corner we should never have had, it wasn't undeserved from the pressure we were putting on at that stage.
But the lack of creativity and mobility in the final third is a huge issue. When Pogba's around we can keep the pressure going and play some real nice buildup stuff, but it speaks volumes that a lot of the time he was playing more incisive passes from 30/40 yards than Mata and co round the edge of the box. We really need a change in the creative department. Seems fairly likely that Mkhi's on his way out, and we're probably gonna go for Forsberg to offer a bit of true width, but it needs more than that.

Yeah, personnel additions would help a bit but I wonder just how much work on attacking play is being put in on the training field. It doesn't look like we actually have an attacking system and instead rely on improvisation. There's very little off the ball movement and we just don't look like a cohesive unit going forward.

I don't think Forsberg will make much of a difference to us except maybe to push Martial out of the team. I'd rather we go for someone like Goretzka who can play on the right as well as centrally.

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think Forsberg will make much of a difference to us except maybe to push Martial out of the team.

I think the main thing he'll do, if that goes through, is keep it out wide and stretch the game. And hopefully he'll provide a bit more consistent threat than Martial, who really needs to be offered the space to work. He's not my ideal signing by any means, but it looks like who we're after.

I really want us to get Pulisic. He's not the finished product by any means, he does tend to drift in and out of games, but he's a massive talent.

You're probably right that we're not really training attacking, just taking control of things and then improvising from there. I mean, it's worked well enough often this season but when things get tough there is no plan and Jose has no answers.

Gladbach currently 2-1 up against Bayern. Thorgen Hazard has been playing out of his skin defensively, which isn't entirely what I was expecting when I turned over to this.

Gah!  Held to a draw by a flukey goal.  Chelsea had us under pressure but the actual goal was almost as fortunate as Utd's winner. 

A win today would have brought us level on points with Chelsea. 

Not that we were great today but galling to go close and see it slip away. 

I thought Liverpool had a better overall game. Chelsea showed offensive prowess in flashes, but not consistent enough. Mo Salah really shined. Bakayoko is a frustrating player to watch. He's still raw, clumsy with the ball, and that goal could've been prevented if he'd show a little more control. Happy we salvaged a point but every game we drop any points at all feels like an impossible feat to catch City.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think the main thing he'll do, if that goes through, is keep it out wide and stretch the game. And hopefully he'll provide a bit more consistent threat than Martial, who really needs to be offered the space to work. He's not my ideal signing by any means, but it looks like who we're after.

What I find surprising is that we don't seem interested in bringing in a quality LB. That would solve the width issue. Ashley Young being our best LB says it all really.

Just now, Consigliere said:

What I find surprising is that we don't seem interested in bringing in a quality LB. That would solve the width issue. Ashley Young being our best LB says it all really.

I really appreciate how hard Young has worked to improve himself as a left-back (it's very notable this season that he has been practising on his left foot, he's far more able to go down the line and cut it back than he used to be) but yeah.

Too many people seem to be giving Burnley no chance but Arsenal away are a different team to at home and Burnley have been pretty good so far and I think I could see them beating Arsenal and it would be fun to see them in the top 4

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Gah!  Held to a draw by a flukey goal.  Chelsea had us under pressure but the actual goal was almost as fortunate as Utd's winner. 

Look, Willian said it was a shot so obviously it was a shot...

Decent performance from Chelsea away from home. Thought we played well to a man, minus Bakayoko who was sloppy in possession, lacked the intelligence to break up play and practically assisted Salah’s goal.

It is nice, though, to have a manager  at Chelsea who goes away from home against a big team and actually tries to win the game.

Rhino was a defender back in the day. Real fighting defender.

So just how he has transferred our defense from bad to Roberto-Martinez-would-be-embarrassed-levels is beyond me. But f*ck me, if he’s not back in the U23s by Monday, we’re in deep sh*t.

Sure, Liverpool did drop the lead, but there are some good things to take away from that performance.

Despite conceding the fluke goal, our defense looked much better than in most of the current season. I don't know if that has to do with Lovren being dropped from the lineup or if Klopp finally managed to write that book about defending he's been talking about earlier in the season or what, but that defensive display has been a significant improvement.

Archived