Football: Just Slaven Away

Nas!

Valencia have spent the 1st half against Barca chasing shadows. They've set up to counter but are struggling to string passes together so it has not been good. Barca should be a goal up after a howler by Neto but thanks to no goal line technology it wasn't given even though the ball had clearly crossed the line.

Vincenzo Montella has been sacked from AC Milan. It’s been coming, really. That’s the danger when you’re in charge of a team that’s spent a lot of money in the summer and end up looking no better, maybe even worse than the season before. Ronald Koeman can testify to that.

Club legend Genaro Gattuso takes over in the interim. Something very Everton-like about all this...

Gattuso was always one of those "you can outplay me, but you can't outwork me" players. I didn't like him that much while he was playing but have learned to appreciate such players over time.

If he's anything like that as a manager, I'm guessing Milan squad is in for a lot of running and trying hard, at least.

Surely Gattuso isn’t a long term plan? I thought AC Milan would have learned - and Gattuso would have learned - that being a successful recently retired AC Milan legend doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to succeed there as a manager. 

Ancelotti would surely be the dream, but again, Mancini was highly successful as manager at Inter in his first spell but when he went back it wasn’t the same team and Juve were back in business.

Yeah, shipping five at home to midtable Atalanta and then four against the normally toothless Southampton has surely set alarm bells ringing. Think the "too good to go down" no longer applies after those two results and Everton are in serious danger here. Might as well give Big Sam a contract until the end of the season and hope he can keep the club up. The Everton hierarchy have not covered themselves in glory either - it's been around 5 weeks since Koeman was sacked and they are still scrambling for a manager. That reeks of poor planning.

12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, shipping five at home to midtable Atalanta and then four against the normally toothless Southampton has surely set alarm bells ringing. Think the "too good to go down" no longer applies after those two results and Everton are in serious danger here. Might as well give Big Sam a contract until the end of the season and hope he can keep the club up. The Everton hierarchy have not covered themselves in glory either - it's been around 5 weeks since Koeman was sacked and they are still scrambling for a manager. That reeks of poor planning.

Their defence was shambolic against Southampton, nobody seems to know what they are supposed to be doing and nobody appears to be organising them either. Their players were in the least compact shape I can imagine almost every time they lost the ball and never tried to get back into a proper shape. 

Big Sam or Big Tony would be able to sort out that mess quickly and would cover themselves in glory I'm sure, avoiding relegation.

The real issue was that Everton seemed to want to get in Silva, despite the fact he'd only just moved clubs. I don't know why people don't use common sense when approaching managers.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Wasn't Gattuso coaching Milan's youth team before this appointment?

I mean, it is very unlikely he'd be a long-term solution but it's not as if Milan board just pulled him out of thin air.

Yeah he was and he’s likely just gonna fill in till the end of the year. Think Confe would be the dream appointment for Milan since he’s constantly rumored to not be settled in at Chels but Ancelotti would be cool too.

1 hour ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Big Sam gets a lot of hate, but he clearly has a formula that works for teams struggling, on the short term at least. Who knows - maybe if he ended up at a team like Everton, who are well positioned financially, then maybe he could show he’s more than just a fire fighter.

Like when he managed Newcastle, you mean? 

Arsenal making some big moves behind the scenes. I wonder if this means Wenger is really ready to let go. They just hired Raul Sanllehi from Barcelona as the new Head of Football Relations and he will be responsible for player negotiations. This follows the hiring of Sven Mislintat from Dortmund as head of player recruitment. Not sure if Arsenal of just cleaning up an area where they've had issues of late or if they're preparing for Wenger to move on but either way, I like both the hires.

7 hours ago, mormont said:

Like when he managed Newcastle, you mean? 

His most expensive signing at Newcastle was Jose Enrique at £6.3million. Do tell me how Newcastle in the 07/08 season were similar to the current Everton when it comes to giving the manager a lot of money to spend?

Archived