Football: Just Slaven Away

Nas!

I missed our game against Stoke.Was reading that Mignolet was captain..whaaaaaa??? Klopp seriously trolling us now! :P

Very happy with the result though.3 goals (2 from Salah,our new goal machine!), a clean sheet and most importantly 3 points.

Next game against Brighton.How is their home record by the way?

28 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Did Wenger not say he didn’t see either of them leaving in January unless something extrodinary happens? That doesn’t completely rule it out. Wenger also has a habit of saying players won’t leave in certain windows then for the player to leave. RVP, Nasri, Fabregas to name a couple.

I guess if someone comes in with 40-50 million (or more) bids then those would be considered. Clubs would have to be seriously desperate though to pay that sort of money when they could just enter into negotiations on a pre-contract agreement with the players including big, fat signing on bonuses. All those players you mention left during the summer window, right? The January window is a different story. I don't see either player leaving short of some desperate fools willing to pay huge transfer fees for players with only 6 months to run on their contracts. And even then you would think that any transfer would hinge on Arsenal being able to sign a replacement.

5 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah no way they leave when Arsenal are in a fight for top four imo. Who knows if they finish top four they could maybe convince one or both to stay. 

I doubt they’re that fussed. I’m sure they’re both going to get moves to teams the Champions League. If they want to leave now I doubt just getting into the top 4 is going to change their minds.

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I guess if someone comes in with 40-50 million (or more) bids then those would be considered. Clubs would have to be seriously desperate though to pay that sort of money when they could just enter into negotiations on a pre-contract agreement with the players including big, fat signing on bonuses. All those players you mention left during the summer window, right? The January window is a different story. I don't see either player leaving short of some desperate fools willing to pay huge transfer fees for players with only 6 months to run on their contracts. And even then you would think that any transfer would hinge on Arsenal being able to sign a replacement.

Ha, I wouldn't bet on it. We have a long and gloried history of selling our best players then failing to replace them.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Ha, I wouldn't bet on it. We have a long and gloried history of selling our best players then failing to replace them.

I'm just thinking of the Sanchez situation where a verbal agreement was reached with City but it was dependent on Arsenal signing a replacement. The transfer fell through after Lemar (reportedly) rejected moving to Arsenal even though a fee was agreed with Monaco.

Wenger maintained all through the summer that Alexis wouldn’t be sold, then for a fee and a verbal agreement with Man City to be reached, only for it to fall through due to Lemar staying put. So even though in the end Wenger was right all along and Alexis stayed, it wasn’t because Arsenal stood firm and rejected any approach for him, but because they couldn’t sell him as they couldn’t sign a replacement.

I don’t think either will leave Arsenal in the January transfer window, but I still wouldn’t be surprised if they did. I guess it will hinge on whether the players want to leave that badly they can’t hold out to the summer and whether Arsenal would rather take some kind of transfer fee for them over letting them go for nothing at all in the summer.

Alexis would be the one I’d sooner expect to push a January move through than Ozil. Especially if Man City put in a bid and are still flying in the league. You’d suspect he’d want to get in on the chance to pick up a PL medal. 

7 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

But no one really wants to just hand it to Citeh just yet. I’d be happy if any team gave them a chase, even if it was Man United. Less so if it was Tottenham but still would be better than watching Pep’s boys run away with it.

Oh sure. I was just pulling your leg. I don't really mind if you get after chasing City, as long as we do too.

4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I missed our game against Stoke.Was reading that Mignolet was captain..whaaaaaa??? Klopp seriously trolling us now! :P

Migs should’ve been sent off too. Got really lucky. He’s not good enough. Not sure Karius is either but I kinda wish Klopp would just start him :lol: 

There’s been a lot written over the past few days about the way Guardiola spoke to Redmond after the game. Redmond has come out and said that Guardiola was complimentary and the FA have written to Guardiola asking for his thoughts on his animated actions.

What’s the general concensus from you guys?

He has a strange manner, Guardiola. Some things he says and does smacks of arrogance, like he’s the oracle in the room. I can see why people might not appreciate what he did with Redmond, but I think it’s quite refreshing to see someone display such a passion for the game that they had to confront an opposition player to praise him. However, I can see why it would potentially upset Pellegrino, as it looks like Guardiola is telling one of Pelegrino’s players that his coach is stifling his attacking ability. 

If I was Pellegrino, I certainly would read it as a «how bad are you at coaching?»-statement. Is that okay? I’m not really sure. It could certainly be read as an attempt to disrupt another squad, or turn the head of a player (if Redmond moves to City, this will look worse). 

OTOH, it is also possible to read it benevolently as a «you guys are really good! Great game you gave us»-statement. I’m guessing that one’s preconcieved notions of Guardiola will win through in interpreting the statement. 

Unless you’re Pellegrino, that is. I would guess he sees it as a barb.

27 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Argentina's group was the hardest, Russia shockingly got lucky.

Argentina's group?

I think Spain, Portugal and Morocco (Group B ) might want to object here, that's by far the hardest Group in my opinion.

But there are quite a few challenging groups.

Group G with England, Belgium and Tunisia isn't a walk in the park either I think.

Group F with Germany, Mexico, Sweden and South Korea is also a bit tricky.

Group E with Brazil, Suitzerland, Serbia and Costa Rica looks quite difficult.

Group C with France, Denmark and Peru is also far from easy.

And yes, Group D with Argentina is also anything but easy.

And of course Group A (Russia) and to a lesser degree group H look easy in comparission.

On 11/30/2017 at 0:13 PM, polishgenius said:

Oh sure. I was just pulling your leg. I don't really mind if you get after chasing City, as long as we do too.

Pls lose this weekend. Though now with Lacazette out, we're probably not going to do well

41 minutes ago, Raja said:

Pls lose this weekend. Though now with Lacazette out, we're probably not going to do well

I'll arrange it if you make sure youse lot sell Ozil to us for five mil in January.

We'll probably be missing Matic, which will be an issue if Herrera doesn't start recovering his form.

Archived