Football: Just Slaven Away

Nas!

5 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

There’s been a lot written over the past few days about the way Guardiola spoke to Redmond after the game. Redmond has come out and said that Guardiola was complimentary and the FA have written to Guardiola asking for his thoughts on his animated actions.

What’s the general concensus from you guys?

He has a strange manner, Guardiola. Some things he says and does smacks of arrogance, like he’s the oracle in the room. I can see why people might not appreciate what he did with Redmond, but I think it’s quite refreshing to see someone display such a passion for the game that they had to confront an opposition player to praise him. However, I can see why it would potentially upset Pellegrino, as it looks like Guardiola is telling one of Pelegrino’s players that his coach is stifling his attacking ability. 

It's just Guardiola's style. If he likes you expect to be shouted at angrily and if he doesn't rate you then you'll just get empty compliments. If Redmond was okay with it there is no problem - at worst it is a little insensitive to Pelligrino.

The seeding has worked in the World Cup draw. The top two seeds look favourites in every group which is a little surprising given that it is based on the rather shaky FIFA rankings. Whilst the weakest in terms of top teams, Group H looks the most intriguing as all four are pretty decent. I'd put Japan below the others, but Senegal, Colombia and Poland look evenly matched and more talent in attacking than defensive areas.

What has happened to St Pauli of late, @Notone? They seem to be getting hammered every time I see their results recently.

17 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

It's just Guardiola's style. If he likes you expect to be shouted at angrily and if he doesn't rate you then you'll just get empty compliments. If Redmond was okay with it there is no problem - at worst it is a little insensitive to Pelligrino.

The seeding has worked in the World Cup draw. The top two seeds look favourites in every group which is a little surprising given that it is based on the rather shaky FIFA rankings. Whilst the weakest in terms of top teams, Group H looks the most intriguing as all four are pretty decent. I'd put Japan below the others, but Senegal, Colombia and Poland look evenly matched and more talent in attacking than defensive areas.

What has happened to St Pauli of late, @Notone? They seem to be getting hammered every time I see their results recently.

Happens, when you play with that kind of attitude, and total lack of motivation to do the basics. No matter on which level you play, you can't win games, if you don't go into battles for the ball, and shy away from any form of physical play. Then there are some absurd individual errors, and a lack of any penetration whatsoever on the attack. You mix that together, and you get this.

That was essentially what also happened during the last home game, in which the team offered nothing during the first 30 minutes. They got their act together after being two nothing down, and got reminded that's not actually acceptable by "Wake up!" screams from the terraces, and salavged a 2:2 in the end. But the last couple of away games they apparently lacked a homestadium to tell them to get their act together. Anyway, that's basically what it looks like, when a team really wants to get rid of the manager. And I think Janßen will be out of the job by the end of the year. Let's see if Lienen moves back from the office to the touchline. Anyway, (under normal circumstances) the squad has enough quality to finish top 5 and possibly challenge for promotion. And that's the really infuriating bit, it's really just the attitude, lack of motivation/desire.

Another good display from Chelsea. 

A good performance from Danny Drinkwater in the midfield. He gets up and down the pitch really well and finds himself in some great positions inside the box. I don’t remember him being such an attacking midfielder while at Leicester, but so far, I’m pleased with what I have seen from him. We definitely look better with Drinkwater in the midfielder over Bakayoko, who I think will need quite a while to adapt to the pace of the Premier League. Bakayoko would take two or three touches where Drinkwater only needs one.

Having Victor Moses back is another positive. Back in the starting 11 and bags an assist and wins the penalty. I think he frightens defenders more than Zappacosta does, as he’s quick and able to cut inside and outside, whereas Zappacosta isn’t quite as fast and seems to run in straight lines up and down the flank. 

We are putting together a decent run of results now, so it’s a shame we had such a bad start.

Samuele continuing Rhino’s decision to start Lennon. 

I have literally no idea why. He offers ... 

well, there’s ... 

or, rather ... 

perhaps we have ...

Nah, he’s useless. The fact he’s starting time and again speaks volumes. 

13 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Emre Can starting at CB. Klopps decision to not go after any VVD alternatives in the Summer continues to haunt. 

Knowing Liverpool's luck, VVD/alternative would've been injured/ill/suspended/or something!

Gomez has a virus, Matip is injured, Klavan is still sick (but well enough for bench....). That is some seriously shitty luck :bang:

Liverpool finished strongly despite looking tired in the second half and only one sub before our 5th goal.  Aside from a soft penalty, our defensive play may have caused our fans some stress but didn't allow very much. 

Lots of rotation again, much of it enforced by illness and injury, but Klopp is routinely rotating 5-6 players per game.  Well done Robertson to play well after Moreno kept him out for a long time.  

Our midfield makes me so excited for Keita's arrival.  It's a good situation to make him a hero from day one. 

Didn’t see the first 30 minutes today, but what I saw was a team looking much more solid defensively. Or, rather, we kept the solidity from last game. 

Holgate has come back with a bang. He looks confident, he’s got speed, he is comfortable on the ball and he’s been winning headers lately. We really should keep him in there. Kenny minimizes the way we miss Coleman. He doesn’t have Coleman’s attacking contributions - yet - but he puts in a better cross. 

Pickford shows control in his area when people aren’t running all over us, Sigurdsson has started to contribute and even DCL got a goal today - thanks to a deflection, but they all count. 

I hope we have seen the last of Lennon, but I guess not. Ah, well, next match isn’t going to be an easy clean sheet.

Archived