Football: Just Slaven Away

Nas!

17 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I’d say he is out on his own as the best. Does any goalkeeper win as many points for his team as DDG? I doubt Neuer comes close.

The bolded is a little unfair. I think we also have to look at the respective teams over the past few years; Bayern were strolling the league and dominating virtually every game whereas United were struggling to rebuild post Fergie, barely competing for 4th place. Neuer generally has much less to do than DDG due to Bayern being simply a better team than United. Whenever Neuer is called upon, he consistently does the business and rarely makes any mistakes both at club and international level. At the end of the day, I'd have them at the same level - the two best keepers in the world.

Everyone keeps saying we have a huge game against Spartak midweek.  But we only need a win to be sure to top the group.  If we just avoid losing to Spartak by four or more goals then we'll still be runner-up and progress.  If we do fall to the runner-up spot, then our opponents in the next round would be one of PSG, Barca or Besiktas.  If we win our group, possible opponents are Real, Bayern, Roma, Juve, Basel, Shakhtar or Porto.  

I'm not sure that our odds are all that much different either way. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Everyone keeps saying we have a huge game against Spartak midweek.  But we only need a win to be sure to top the group.  If we just avoid losing to Spartak by four or more goals then we'll still be runner-up and progress.  If we do fall to the runner-up spot, then our opponents in the next round would be one of PSG, Barca or Besiktas.  If we win our group, possible opponents are Real, Bayern, Roma, Juve, Basel, Shakhtar or Porto.  

I'm not sure that our odds are all that much different either way. 

Sorry to interrupt. But isn't it head-to-head results the first tie breaker?

So if Moscow wins at Anfield (doesn't matter whether it's 5-0 or just 1-0), and Sevilla wins their match against Maribor, then it would be EL and not CL for Liverpool, I think.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

Sorry to interrupt. But isn't it head-to-head results the first tie breaker?

So if Moscow wins at Anfield (doesn't matter whether it's 5-0 or just 1-0), and Sevilla wins their match against Maribor, then it would be EL and not CL for Liverpool, I think.

You're right, I forgot that.  So we need to beat Spartak or else get a low-score draw (0-0 or 1-1 would do).  I'm not worried about them as opponents but I guess we can't just send out the kids and rest all the senior players. 

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

You're right, I forgot that.  So we need to beat Spartak or else get a low-score draw (0-0 or 1-1 would do).  I'm not worried about them as opponents but I guess we can't just send out the kids and rest all the senior players. 

No, it's not quite that dramatic. Any draw is enough to secure 2nd place in the group for Liverpool. A win clinches group. They simply should avoid a loss, as that would be quite costly (assuming Sevilla doesn't stumble against Maribor), as the tie breaker would favour Moscow then.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'd say that at this stage DDG is pretty definitely a better shotstopper than anyone, but if he played for Bayern they couldn't play the way they often do with the high line in the utter confidence that he'll sweep up.

Nobody even comes close to Neuer at playing the sweeper keeper role. Remember that WC game against Algeria? Any keeper other than Neuer and Germany would have been knocked out.

Neuer is without doubt a unique goalkeeper and offers more than what’s traditionally required of a goalkeeper, while still making some sublime saves. But, personally, I still don’t think anyone comes close to DDG. Some of the saves he made yesterday and has made for Manchester United in the past I wouldn’t expect any other goalkeeper in the world to make. In terms of the art of pure goalkeeping - keeping the ball out of the net - he is out on his own, for me.

33 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Beneveto grab their first ever Serie A point with their keeper scoring a last minute equaliser against Milan. Unbelievable.

Just seen it there now, incredible scenes. Of course, after 14 straight defeats, it would be AC Milan that give Benevento their first point of the season.

Pretty resigned to Man City winning the league, so the only thing I can hang onto is them not breaking Chelsea records during it. That’s the 13 game consequative win record within a single season that Chelsea share with Arsenal now equalled by Man City.

Come on, Jose, don’t let them break it next week.

17 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Of fucking course. 

What do you care?

I’ve decided to make the effort not to like City, with their owners being evil despots and all, but it’s not like Liverpool would be the ones to catch them if they slipped up. The alternative’s United, maybe Chelsea, winning the title. 

I don’t really hate City. I enjoy watching them as much as anyone as a neutral. 

Would just rather it be competitive at the top tbh. The fight for the 2-4 spots should be fun and all but nothing like a good title race at the end of the season. Boring as fuck when leagues are wrapped up with weeks/months left. 

In a way it’s quite funny how the Premier League has prided itself upon its fabled ‘top 6’, anyone of which can apparently win the title. Yet last season Chelsea won the title by 7 points and Man City are already 8 clear. Even Leicester won it by 10.

It’s impressive in the sense that we don’t always have the same team winning the league like in Germany, France (minus last year) and Italy, as the last team to defend the title was Man U in ‘09, but we never really have an actual closely contested title race. The last exciting one was 13/14. At least the title race in Italy is looking like it could go into a three, maybe four horse race. La Liga has the potential to turn into a close race, too. Already the title race in the PL is as boring as Germany and France in that respect. 

Archived