Football: Just Slaven Away

Nas!

1 hour ago, mormont said:

It's entertaining to me that after all the moaning about how young, up-and-coming English managers are overlooked for fancy foreign names, three of the last four appointments in the EPL are Hodgson, Pardew and Moyes, with Allardyce likely to follow. 

I'm not even sure who these up and coming English managers supposedly even are. Eddie Howe? Gary Monk? Gary Rowett? Of those I think the jury is still out on Howe, initially loved by everyone but then having a bit of a poor year after what I think was a bad transfer window. Gary Monk didn't cover himself in glory at Swansea and neither he nor Rowett at Derby are in the promotion place in the Champo. 

You could make an argument for giving these managers a good go at a bigger club, but I think the way the Premier league works is that it tries to suck up worldwide talent as much as it can, and you need to have proven abilities to get a job. Big sam and his ilk have results of safety on their CV and so are lower risks. You can get a coach from abroad who has won actual trophies, like say De Boer and it can still not work. 

Really I think that for a younger British manager to get a bigger job he has to massively overachieve with his club or look like some sort of visionary tactically. Massive over achievement is very difficult in the premier league where in most cases its about the amount of money the club has.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

It's entertaining to me that after all the moaning about how young, up-and-coming English managers are overlooked for fancy foreign names, three of the last four appointments in the EPL are Hodgson, Pardew and Moyes, with Allardyce likely to follow. 

Seriously. Same dudes just kept getting rotated. Kinda boring

Let's be honest, that's the case with pretty much every other job. It's not limited to football managers.

No one is going to hire someone straight out of school for a position that requires a lot of experience in the field.

Younger manager needs to make a name for himself either by working with big club's Youth team/reserve side or to really impress in lower leagues. I mean, it's not as if foreign managers that are coming into the Premier league are low quality and are bringing the quality level down. I mean, among the top 6 teams in the league at the moment (all 6 foreign managers, by the way) you have 5 managers that have at least once either won the Champions League or reached the finals, with the "odd man out" being Pochettino who has more than proven himself at Southampton and has improved Tottenham immensely.

4 minutes ago, baxus said:

Let's be honest, that's the case with pretty much every other job. It's not limited to football managers.

No one is going to hire someone straight out of school for a position that requires a lot of experience in the field.

Younger manager needs to make a name for himself either by working with big club's Youth team/reserve side or to really impress in lower leagues. I mean, it's not as if foreign managers that are coming into the Premier league are low quality and are bringing the quality level down. I mean, among the top 6 teams in the league at the moment (all 6 foreign managers, by the way) you have 5 managers that have at least once either won the Champions League or reached the finals, with the "odd man out" being Pochettino who has more than proven himself at Southampton and has improved Tottenham immensely.

Yeah agree, I do think it is quite difficult to break into a top 6 side as a manager however. To do so means either getting your own team into or close to the top 6, playing good quality football or do well as an assistant manager. When clubs can choose between a brit who has managed mid table mediocrity or a foreign coach who has numerous league titles and cups under his belt then you can see which seems the safer option.

One issue is that British managers don't go abroad to coach very often. Ok Moyes tried and failed miserably, but Schteeve Mclaren did well in Holland and increased his broken rep. More brits should try it. Its unlikely though.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

I think it shows that England has a problem with producing high quality coaches and managers, which exceeds and even contributes too the more frequently discussed problem with producing high quality players.  The development system needs some work.  A few coaching badges and time spent as a player is not sufficient preparation.  Just like being a junior employee and doing a couple of quick certificate training courses does not prepare you to be a CEO. 

6 hours ago, Eggegg said:

I'm not even sure who these up and coming English managers supposedly even are. Eddie Howe? Gary Monk? Gary Rowett? Of those I think the jury is still out on Howe, initially loved by everyone but then having a bit of a poor year after what I think was a bad transfer window. Gary Monk didn't cover himself in glory at Swansea and neither he nor Rowett at Derby are in the promotion place in the Champo.

Bournemouth can go 9th with a good win against Burnley tonight - pretty decent for a bad year for Howe.

Monk did a good job with Swansea and was only sacked when results matched the squad's quality for a period. Since he left they have gone from a mid-table to relegation battling side. After that he had a tremendous spell with Leeds and is about where he should be with Boro. Likewise, Rowett has stabilised Derby for the first time in years and is finally getting them to perform at their level.

As well as those three there is Paul Heckingbottom (probably needs a time at a bigger Championship side before stepping up to the Premier League), Lee Johnson and Graham Potter. The latter especially should be in the reckoning. His time at Östersunds has looked more like someone's Football Manager save than real life.

A few observations on the topic of "British" managers in the Premier League, young and old:

- 9 (45%) of the 20 clubs in the PL are managed by English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh men.

- Of those 9, 7 occupy the lowest league positions.

- The average age of foreign managers in the PL is 50.5 years.

- The average age of domestic managers in the PL is 51.8 years (although, if Allardyce replaces Unsworth that will change to 53.9 years).

- The youngest manager in the PL is Eddie Howe, who is 39 years old, and 3 of the youngest 4 managers in the league are domestic (although this, again, will change if Allardyce replaces Unsworth as expected).

We're 3-0 in the 87th minute and I have to shut down internet connection any minute now as my flight takes off.

Do I dare relax and assume we'll win?

Salah and Mane -- for the first time in a very long time, our biggest signings of two consecutive seasons turn out to be great successes and relative bargains.  That doesn't sound like us at all. 

Archived