Why didn’t the other valerian families bring over dragons?

Frey Kings

Because they were betrayed by the Targaryens...

We hear a vague story in Braavos about the First Faceless Man answering the prayers of the slaves in Valyria's mines, presumably leading to the Doom.

But there is no reason to believe this first Faceless man was a slave himself... in fact it probably makes more sense if he was a Valyrian himself.

As you point out, the Targaryens being the only ones to escape with dragons is highly suspicious, with or without a "prophesy".

1 hour ago, maudisdottir said:

Because none of them were from the forty dragonlord families of Valyria.

They were in charge of their vast empire before the doom? Any mention of them being the sole families to have dragons? Valerians held other occupations as demonstrated in the history books: Slavers, soldiers, merchants, scorery/magic, explorers, architects 

dragonriding was just a perk of being valryian? 

Is House Sunglass Valyrian? Isn't it stated fairly clearly in The World of Ice and Fire that the Targaryens were the only dragon riding house in Westeros? Obviously, not everyone could have a access to dragons. It would lead to anarchy! The 40 families mentioned above would obviously keep heavy security around their dragons and dragon eggs. There are probably examples of other families or even lone theives attempting to steal dragons, perhaps even successfully (becoming some sort of pirate dragon lord), but eventually they were probably brought to justice. Hell perhaps the 40 families decend from a group of 40 that overthrew the old government with dragons. Who knows? All we do know is that only 40 families had access to dragons before the Doom, and only one afterwords, House Targaryen. 

On a side note, I was wondering : when were House Celtigar and House Velaryon established? They seem to have been in Westeros well before the Targaryens, but I could be wrong. 

Not every Valyrian family was dragon-riding.  Of the 40 families that were, the Targaryans were in low esteem (compared to their counterparts), and looked at as fools for their westward migration.  The Valyrian families that accompanied the Targaryans were well-rewarded for their loyalty, but were inconsequential in the Valyrian Freehold.

Every Valyrian dragon belonged to one of the 40 families. Whether there were more, wild dragons out in the world somewhere, that we don't know. Cannibal might be one such, for example. But it would seem that all wild Valyrian dragons were bonded to the 40 families by the time of the Doom.

Dragons that occurred in the rest of the world prior to the Long Night, including in Westeros during the Age of Heroes, were not Valyrian dragons. But after the Long Night it appears that the only known remaining dragons were in Valyria. My personal view is that there may have been a small remnant that survived on Dragonstone too (unrelated to the Valyrians), and that Cannibal was descended from this separate remnant. Hence his animosity to the Valyrian dragons that arrived later with the Targaryens.

15 hours ago, Nittanian said:

Because their sigil depicts seven stars, I would be surprised if they are not Andal. 

Yes, that was what I thought, too. I was responding to the OP, as he/she had included them as Valyrian.

1 hour ago, Jaak said:

At Conquest, Velaryons were not a dragonlord family, but eventually they were. With qualifications, so were Royces and possibly Farmans.

I understand you calling the Velaryons as such, as Addam Velaryon was a dragonrider...but Farman and Royce?

2 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I understand you calling the Velaryons as such, as Addam Velaryon was a dragonrider...but Farman and Royce?

Laenor Velaryon. Laena Velaryon. Rhaenys "Velaryon". Rhaenyra "Velaryon". Jacaerys Velaryon. Lucerys Velaryon. Joffrey Velaryon. And yes, Addam.

Royce? Depends on what surname Bronze Bitch's househusband went by.

And Farman... there is that "more than fond of" Androw Farman. We do not hear what happened next.

Archived