U.S. Politics 2017: Yes Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Speaking of voting means and methods: this is an unpopular stance but it has seemed to me that early, mail-in voting is a bad idea.  For instance the Cyrus Vance, Jr. revelations happened after the primary, but only about or even less than three weeks before the election.  He was running unopposed (which is another election problem in itself). Early voters who would very likely be appalled by the revelations had already voted for him, instead of writing in someone else.

8 hours ago, r'hllor's redrum lobster said:

lol, considering this whole thing started with a foot stamping, someone-crashed-my-sweet-16 tantrum, you're gonna have to specify who you mean by "whining wing"

No, the whole thing started with you cheering a temper tantrum that was thrown at your own candidate's victory speech. LOL!

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I had a glass of Dalwhinnie myself.

I don’t think I’ve tried that one before. Been trying to branch out lately and try some of the better stuff. And by a glass you better have meant 10.

:angry2:

57 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I don't know what this means for tax reform, because I could see a) The GOP ramming something through (or try to) just to show they have done something with their supermajority and b ) The GOP being gun-shy on pushing anything that will anger the populace further. Of course, Trump isn't helping much by being hands off, and their proposed bill was above healthcare bill in popularity but still not high enough. 

There’s an option c). too. They could decide that they need to do something, but not want to risk passing an unpopular bill, so they could either pass a much more limited bill or, heaven forbid, work with Democrats to come up with something that would actually be a positive piece of legislation.

4 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Well, looks like us New Jerseyans are screwed, Phil Murphy is gonna run this state into the ground, guess the misses and I need to seriously look at getting outta here

Hard to imagine that anyone could be worse than Christie. Statistically speaking, he’s the most unpopular governor in the history of polling.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I look forward to the coming NYTimes think pieces about going on safari to locate and understand the forgotten voters of Loudon and Fairfax counties in VA.

I really hope they actually do; it's the kind of thing that'll lead the Washington Post to doing snarky articles about the forgotten voters of Staten Island.

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Looking at the results from last night, was there anything that went against Democrats? Kind feels like they dropped a Big Gin hand.

The Pennsylvania statewide judicial races weren't perfect. Democrats lost a state supreme court seat. OTOH, judicial races can be funky and Democrats did pick up a bunch of local seats in Trump counties, so it's not evidence of continued rightward movement in the state either.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hard to imagine that anyone could be worse than Christie. Statistically speaking, he’s the most unpopular governor in the history of polling.

How to be worse than Christie if you live in NJ and are not rich:  raise taxes.  

And Murphy will definitely raise taxes all around.  There is a reason why so many blue areas are a few rich people and lots of poor people...because the middle class can't afford the taxes and other feels.  

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Christie was a bust mostly because he got sucked into the dirty politics of NJ and had a bullseye on him from the unions, which is ironic since he contributedid more to their pensions through his 8 years than any other governor.  He put the 2% property tax cap in place, which Murphy won't keep, property taxes will go through the roof, he'll be outta here in 4yrs.  But hey, we'll have legal pot

18 minutes ago, Fez said:

The Pennsylvania statewide judicial races weren't perfect. Democrats lost a state supreme court seat. OTOH, judicial races can be funky and Democrats did pick up a bunch of local seats in Trump counties, so it's not evidence of continued rightward movement in the state either.

Seems like you have to dig around the bottom of the barrel to find anything that isn’t positive news, so I’d say it was an overwhelmingly positive night for Democrats, and it’s somewhat reminiscent of the victories in 2005. Hopefully we’ll be as successful in 2018 as we were in 2006.

20 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

And Murphy will definitely raise taxes all around.  There is a reason why so many blue areas are a few rich people and lots of poor people...because the middle class can't afford the taxes and other feels.  

If you’re worried about taxes needing to be raised, try joining the party that wants to raise them for people who can most afford them and not the party that wants to tax the poor and the middle class to pay for sweeping tax cuts for the wealthy, particularly the top .2%.

Just a thought……

21 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Would love to see your source of this little tidbit of 'facts'.

Almost any area will be a few rich people and lots of poor people because of the pyramid nature of wealth accretion in this country and every other country in existence (except maybe North Korea).

We'd probably need substantially more analysis and a bit more refined take on exact distributions before commenting.

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There’s an option c). too. They could decide that they need to do something, but not want to risk passing an unpopular bill, so they could either pass a much more limited bill or, heaven forbid, work with Democrats to come up with something that would actually be a positive piece of legislation.

I was hoping bringing offshore money back to the US could have bipartisan support (especially in light of the Papers); but lowering the corporate tax isn't the way to go.

4 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Did you actually read these?  What quotes support your stance?  I ask because the Washington Post article states that there is no relationship.

It is kinda rude to ask other people to do your research and divine your point for you.

I provided the links.  It isn't rude to provide links that supports one's position.  

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I provided the links.  It isn't rude to provide links that supports one's position.  

True, but it's generally considered good form to provide context to those links in the form of quotes, summary or commentary.

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

But do they support your position? They suggest an increased wage gap yes, but that's not the same as being "a few rich people and lots of poor people" since there are multiple explanations for that phenomenon. Nor does showing an increased wage gap prove your reasoning for why there might be "a few rich people and lots of poor people".

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

True, but it's generally considered good form to provide context to those links in the form of quotes, summary or commentary.

Exactly and one of the links doesn't even support your point, just a random one I read.  So, context would help, or it us just scattershot of information that you are asking someone else to clean-up.

Leaving a mess for someone else to clean-up is rude...

Archived