[S7] What would you have done differently?

Beardy the Wildling

In answer to a question above, Aegon I was indeed crowned in Oldtown (the Starry Sept), according to WOIAF. So far as I know, nothing on the show contradicts that.

Speaking of septs, if Cersei burnt down the sept, Daenerys could use this to her advantage by restoring the Faith and authorising a new election. (Pity Lancel's dead.)

18 hours ago, Faera said:

Maybe "Snowstark" or just "Whitewolf" after his kingly moniker. Point being, GRRM probably would have Jon found a new cadet family.

(I doubt the book will go down this exact route though because they have Robb's will floating around. If Rickon is dead and Bran remains MIA, its contents still stand. So, Jon really would just be "Jon Stark".)

I have a feeling the show will settle the matter next season. I suppose they chose to deal with all at once, when the north learns about Jon bending the knee.

3 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

I have a feeling the show will settle the matter next season. I suppose they chose to deal with all at once, when the north learns about Jon bending the knee.

Yes, it probably will be unavoidable with the bending the knee aspect. I wonder if the Northern lords are going to be as fickle as they have been over the last two or so seasons.

4 hours ago, Faera said:

Yes, it probably will be unavoidable with the bending the knee aspect. I wonder if the Northern lords are going to be as fickle as they have been over the last two or so seasons.

I don't see the northern lords accepting Dany's authority that easily. If Jon marries Dany, that may make the prospect of a targaryen monarch more palatable. It'll be interesting to see how the knowledge that dany is Jon's aunt affects the narrative.

On 3-12-2017 at 11:38 PM, Faera said:

Maybe "Snowstark" or just "Whitewolf" after his kingly moniker. Point being, GRRM probably would have Jon found a new cadet family.

(I doubt the book will go down this exact route though because they have Robb's will floating around. If Rickon is dead and Bran remains MIA, its contents still stand. So, Jon really would just be "Jon Stark".)

Stargaryen

13 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

I don't see the northern lords accepting Dany's authority that easily. If Jon marries Dany, that may make the prospect of a targaryen monarch more palatable. It'll be interesting to see how the knowledge that dany is Jon's aunt affects the narrative.

I cannot imagine that helps things. 

If Jon was truly Ned’s son than the narrative is clean. The KItN who is a Stark bent the knee and that is that. We have to respect that especially since this new queen is fulfilling her feudal obligation to come to our aid in our moment of need and Ned’s Starks son would do what he felt was right. 

Jon being both romantically involved with her and a Targaryen makes it very easy to paint him bending the knee as something driven by ulterior motives. Of course that targaryen sold out our kingdom! He conspired with his aunt to betray the north! These Targaryens are coming to defeat the walkers but when the walkers are gone they will never leave! ... the attack ads almost write themselves. 

6 hours ago, jcmontea said:

I cannot imagine that helps things. 

If Jon was truly Ned’s son than the narrative is clean. The KItN who is a Stark bent the knee and that is that. We have to respect that especially since this new queen is fulfilling her feudal obligation to come to our aid in our moment of need and Ned’s Starks son would do what he felt was right. 

Jon being both romantically involved with her and a Targaryen makes it very easy to paint him bending the knee as something driven by ulterior motives. Of course that targaryen sold out our kingdom! He conspired with his aunt to betray the north! These Targaryens are coming to defeat the walkers but when the walkers are gone they will never leave! ... the attack ads almost write themselves. 

Hah!

I don't see the northern lords accepting a targarygen that easily. But a pact by marriage could sweeten the deal. Better a king thats one of our own than just a queen who's foreign. And yes, Jon will likely be accused of selling out. But if the Starks maintain a united front and deal with PR well enough, things could resolve. Of course Jon would need to learn to be politically savvy.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:40 PM, Apoplexy said:

Hah!

I don't see the northern lords accepting a targarygen that easily. But a pact by marriage could sweeten the deal. Better a king thats one of our own than just a queen who's foreign. And yes, Jon will likely be accused of selling out. But if the Starks maintain a united front and deal with PR well enough, things could resolve. Of course Jon would need to learn to be politically savvy.

Perhaps Sansa could lend a hand?...

Archived