The Marriage Game

Corvo the Crow

2 hours ago, Pikachu101 said:

Seems to me that the tradition was to marry your children to vassals within your region, looking at the Stark family tree Catelyn seems to be the only Southern bride but that’s because Rickard was part of the Southern ambitions so went against what was the norm. 

I personally think arranged marriages are better than love marriages in Westeros.  

The Starks have married with the Royces and the Blackwoods before, but that's about it

17 minutes ago, Livesundersink said:

The Starks have married with the Royces and the Blackwoods before, but that's about it

Don't know about Lorra, but Alysanne Blackwood married Cregan in exchange for the pardon of Corlys Velaryon so that's an exception to the norm

• 3 weeks later...

While not relevant to the idea of the thread, there's also something that got me thinking; what determines whether the wedding would take place in the bride's family seat or the groom's?

For some examples

Eddard and Jon Arryn married in Riverrun, though we know it was for convenience reasons, Brandon was also supposed to marry there, as seen with him staying around.

Edmure marries in Twins, but let's also rule that out as this was an "apology" of sorts.

Though we don't know where Lyanna and Robert was going to married, I'm fairly certain it was not in Winterfell as Robert never goes there before the books.

Torrhen's daughter marries in the Vale, with her brothers not going to the Wedding.

Robert and Cersei marries in King's Landing.

Rhaegar and Elia marries in King's Landing.

Lysa and Petyr's marriagae takes place in the Eyrie

Redfort-Royce marriage happens in Runestone if I'm not mistaken.

• 4 months later...

Since I have a lot of spare time at the moment, I have decided to revive this thread, will update the first post soon I hope!

Will include marriages that were planned as well as that happened.

Here are some planned marriages

Men               Women

Lannister        Tully     (Jaime and Lysa)

Baratheon      Stark   (Robert and Lyanna, Joffrey and Sansa)

Stark              Frey.   (Robb and any Frey girl)

Frey.              Stark   (Arya and Elmar)

Tully              Redwyne (Bryndan and Bethany)

Tully             Bracken  (Brynden and unknown)

Tully             Frey      (Brynden and unknown)

So if Jon Arryn hadn’t been poisoned, would Robert have suggested marrying Joffrey to Sansa? 

I’m actually of the opinion that Hoster should have tried for a match between Brynden and Genna Lannister. Tytos really botched that one.

5 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

So if Jon Arryn hadn’t been poisoned, would Robert have suggested marrying Joffrey to Sansa? 

I’m actually of the opinion that Hoster should have tried for a match between Brynden and Genna Lannister. Tytos really botched that one.

Possibly not. They weren't in much contact with each other.

Genna was already married when Hoster became a lord though, it happened even before the ninepennies.

On 12/8/2017 at 0:20 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

While not relevant to the idea of the thread, there's also something that got me thinking; what determines whether the wedding would take place in the bride's family seat or the groom's?

[snip]

Seems like, while not a hard and fast rule, weddings are generally at the bride's home, unless there is a an obvious reason why it wouldn't be, like that it's a royal wedding, which would pretty much be an event held in the capital if at all possible (or if the bride is a hostage of the crown being wed into the extended royal family).

On 5/2/2018 at 5:53 AM, Angel Eyes said:

Yup, if anything Tytos should have married Genna to the heir of the Twins. The Freys maybe a relatively young House but they are rich and their castle holds strategic importance with it's locations. I could see Tywin not having a problem with Genna marrying a Frey as long as he had some sort of guarantee Genna's children would be the heirs to the Twins. 

On 02/05/2018 at 2:03 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Possibly not. They weren't in much contact with each other.

Genna was already married when Hoster became a lord though, it happened even before the ninepennies..

Agreed. I think Jon Arryn's death probably got Robert in a sentimental mood. Odds are on Joffrey would have married someone else. Given that Cersei was already slating Robert to be killed because she was frightened of him putting her aside for another woman (Margaery seems to have been the pick as far as Renly was concerned), it is unlikely that Robert would have had a chance to put the match to Ned before he died. Moreover I have a feeling Ned had thought about matches for his kids even if nothing was official (Even Jon's possible matches probably crossed his mind) and from the offset he didn't seem to want Sansa to marry Joffrey. I reckon Ned was probably looking to the traditional allies of the Starks - Blackwood and Royce - for any marriages outside of the North. Perhaps even one of the girls had been slated for Sweetrobin somewhere in his head.

Also agree that Tytos should have asked Walder Grey specifically for his heir or his hero's direct line to be Genna's husband and no less. Truth is, as the Lord Paramount in the Westerlands, Genna should have married either one of her father's principle bannermen or the son of some other Lord Paramount.

2 hours ago, Bitterblooms said:

Sansa and Joffrey are actually a pretty sensible match for Jon Arryn to suggest if Joffrey wasn't a monster. After all both fathers were his wards at one time. 

On paper, yes. But Robert apparently didn't cotton on to Joffrey being a muenster after knocking his teeth out after the cat business.

So what’s in a successful, loving marriage if spouses don’t choose each other? How is a marriage like Ned’s and Catelyn’s relatively successful with mutual affection while Robert’s and Cersei’s crashes and burns, filled with infidelity, wine and bile? What separates Catelyn, a woman who hates her husband’s bastard yet allows him to stay at their castle, from Cersei, who organized mass murder of her husband’s bastards?

44 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

So what’s in a successful, loving marriage if spouses don’t choose each other? How is a marriage like Ned’s and Catelyn’s relatively successful with mutual affection while Robert’s and Cersei’s crashes and burns, filled with infidelity, wine and bile? What separates Catelyn, a woman who hates her husband’s bastard yet allows him to stay at their castle, from Cersei, who organized mass murder of her husband’s bastards?

I think you kind of answered your own question. :P I assume it was rhetorical?

On 09/11/2017 at 1:57 AM, Angel Eyes said:

That would explain the controversy when Tytos Lannister arranged a marriage for Genna to Emmon Frey. I think that someone can marry into the lesser houses of their kingdom. Tytos Lannister married Jeyne Marbrand, while Ned’s paternal grandmother is a Locke

I always thought  Tywin disliked this match so much because of who Genna was marrying , not where they were from. 

On 11/20/2017 at 2:52 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

The Stark-Baratheon union Robert always wanted; A Lyanna look alike marrying a Robert look alike! We only need a Ned(or Brandon) look alike to marry a Catelyn look alike and it would look like the original southron ambitions would be fullfilled.

I think that's one of the reasons why people ship Jon and Sansa, particularly if Rhaegar is Jon's father.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 5:41 PM, Faera said:

Hoster Tully wanted advantageous marriages for his children.

So, he would have likely wanted a daughter from a Great House or a prolific family that would benefit his house and the Riverlands. He married Catelyn to a Stark (The North) and Lysa was supposed to marry Jaime Lannister (The Westerlands) before he was called to the Kingsguard, and eventually married Jon Arryn (The Vale of Arryn). These are all Great Lords of Great Houses in kingdoms that border the Riverlands. Thus, he would likely have sought a daughter of a Great House from either the Westerlands or the Reach. As others have suggested, if Mace wasn't so deadset on seeing Margaery as Queen she would make a worthy match for Edmure. We know that Hoster wanted Brynden to marry a Redwyne, so he certainly had some aspirations for closer relations with the Reach.

If he wanted to keep things at home, he would have chosen someone from one of the more prolific bannermen of the Riverlands who could better reinforce the Tully family's place as Lords Paramount.

True, though I doubt he knew what Viserys was like seeing as the arrangement was made when Arianne and Viserys were children.

Historically the lord paramount have mostly married within their own region. Marrying outside ones region is more of a expetion than a rule.

Archived