GRRM’s missed opportunity with the Dunk & Egg series

Canon Claude

Why the hell didn’t it take place during the first Blackfyre Rebellion?

i know the ages don’t work out in the current timeline. My point is that they should have. I want to see Dunk and Egg get caught up in the midst of a rebellion which ACTUALLY is a threat to the Targaryen dynasty. As far as I’m concerned, Daemon Blackfyre’s Rebellion is one of the most interesting events that we don’t get to see unfold, and I’d have gladly bought every book on it, especially with such a dynamic pair of characters as Dunk and Egg in the middle of it. We’d get Bittersteel in his prime, Bloodraven and his Raven’s Teeth, Baelor and Maekar being the equivalent of Robert and Stannis actually working together on the battlefield, Fireball and half the knights in Westeros rampaging around, with Daemon Blackfyre at the forefront of their ranks. Instead we get the pitiful Second Rebellion and a random river dispute? I like the series but come on. We could have gotten something truly epic!

I love the setting for these books, it's like the reconstruction period in the USA. I think the simmering tensions and questionable loyalties make a more interesting narrative for the series that just an all out war. After all, we already have Westeros in wartime in the main series. We don't need any more "the village was burned, the women raped, the crops destroyed".

Stories are told from a viewpoint of a very liminal hedge knight who slowly rises up to positions of power. Having him tackling the I Blackfyre Rebellion in the first book would have interrupted this flow.

Dunk is yet to adress Summerhall, Lyonel Baratheon's rebellion and the reign of Aegon V. Many interesting things to come. I doubt he will take a part in Peake's uprising. We may hear from it from a participant, as in the first book Osgrey was our context builder.

I actually think that the D & E stories are very well built. After asoiaf's dust settles, Im sure it will be considered one of George's finest works in the repertoire.

The Blackfyre Rebellion is like Robert's Rebellion: frequently talked about, never experienced directly, which gives it a layer of mystique and awe. It's actually why I don't want a story about either event because then they'd be dragged down and the aura would be gone. It might be exciting, but it wouldn't live up to the hype it's gotten over the years.

7 hours ago, James Steller said:

The Blackfyre Rebellion is like Robert's Rebellion: frequently talked about, never experienced directly, which gives it a layer of mystique and awe. It's actually why I don't want a story about either event because then they'd be dragged down and the aura would be gone. It might be exciting, but it wouldn't live up to the hype it's gotten over the years.

It has nothing to do with the mystique, it’s to do with the fact that a lot of action and drama happened. Yes, GRRM cloaks his wars in a mist of legend, but you know what else he does? He does a great job with the battles that occur in the books. The Blackwater, the Wall, Whispering Wood, even the Deepwood Motte battle was captivating. And I would have loved to see what he could do with the First Blackfyre Rebellion. 

3 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

There are enough battles and epic things in the main series (and even more to come), so I prefer it the way it is. I found the random river dispute very interesting and refreshing.

So? Daemon Blackfyre and Bittersteel and Bloodraven and Baelor Breakspear have all been built up so much that I want to see them all face off.

I think you are dismissing that Dunk took part in the death of a Targaryen crowned prince, got a first hand experience in a Blackfyre rebellion, met Daemon II, met the grandmother of Tywin Lannister in that petty river dispute. And is, as I stated earlier, yet to be the Kingsguard Lord Commander and defeat the Storm King in single combat. 

George writes up from a viewpoints' perspective. You won't get Fireball charging valiantly in battle, with all the shiny knights Osgrey told us about at his back. There's really no way to put Dunk into the First Rebellion and write a decent story about it. 

1 hour ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

I think you are dismissing that Dunk took part in the death of a Targaryen crowned prince, got a first hand experience in a Blackfyre rebellion, met Daemon II, met the grandmother of Tywin Lannister in that petty river dispute. And is, as I stated earlier, yet to be the Kingsguard Lord Commander and defeat the Storm King in single combat. 

George writes up from a viewpoints' perspective. You won't get Fireball charging valiantly in battle, with all the shiny knights Osgrey told us about at his back. There's really no way to put Dunk into the First Rebellion and write a decent story about it. 

Don’t get me wrong, putting Dunk and Egg in the Blackfyre Rebellion would require a complete rewrite of his life and also a rewriting of the whole timeline. I’m just lamenting that it won’t happen because the only interesting conflict in the history of the Blackfyre Rebellions is the first one because it’s the only one that actually stood a chance of succeeding.

From a practical standpoint Egg would not be allowed to run around the continent looking for adventure if there was a war of succession going on. He is in the line succession and would be confined to Red keep or if let out guarded by a few hundred soldiers. Hardly allows for much of a odd couple adventuring/coming of age story line. I think GRRM knew what he was doing starting the series out with Egg to young to fight and not in the middle of a war.

13 minutes ago, jthurman14 said:

From a practical standpoint Egg would not be allowed to run around the continent looking for adventure if there was a war of succession going on. He is in the line succession and would be confined to Red keep or if let out guarded by a few hundred soldiers. Hardly allows for much of a odd couple adventuring/coming of age story line. I think GRRM knew what he was doing starting the series out with Egg to young to fight and not in the middle of a war.

Unless Egg ran away without anyone’s knowledge (which happened) and was presumed missing (which happened), and so long as he kept his head shaved he would be free to wander the Seven Kingdoms with Dunk. Nobody would know he was a Targaryen, which means that he and Dunk could be on either side of the Rebellion, given that Dunk is a hedge knight and they weren’t known for their loyalty to a cause. We could have a story of battle and adventure, but also intrigue when Egg uses his shaved head and Dunk’s fighting skills to infiltrate the Blackfyre Rebellion for information and then desert for the royal forces just in time for Redgrass. And we’d still get access to the smallfolk and their plight during this period of rampant warfare and gives Dunk a disgust for the war hungry Blackfyres while Egg urges him into a plan of treachery for the good of the realm. 

Yes, I’ve been thinking a lot about this. 

19 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Why the hell didn’t it take place during the first Blackfyre Rebellion?

i know the ages don’t work out in the current timeline. My point is that they should have. I want to see Dunk and Egg get caught up in the midst of a rebellion which ACTUALLY is a threat to the Targaryen dynasty. As far as I’m concerned, Daemon Blackfyre’s Rebellion is one of the most interesting events that we don’t get to see unfold, and I’d have gladly bought every book on it, especially with such a dynamic pair of characters as Dunk and Egg in the middle of it. We’d get Bittersteel in his prime, Bloodraven and his Raven’s Teeth, Baelor and Maekar being the equivalent of Robert and Stannis actually working together on the battlefield, Fireball and half the knights in Westeros rampaging around, with Daemon Blackfyre at the forefront of their ranks. Instead we get the pitiful Second Rebellion and a random river dispute? I like the series but come on. We could have gotten something truly epic!

Yes, and I don't think GRRM was after "truly epic" when conceiving D&E. We already have one of those: the main series and the War of the Five Kings. (Also, the Dance of the Dragons in TPATQ, if one is truly desperate). D&E are something different. A local feud between an old knight and a young widow, a rebellion that ended with a whimper. And History (with capital H) we learn mostly second-hand.

I think it was one of GRRM's better notions, to have prequels follow a different formula.

Archived