Damnation... USA Network (Spoilers)

Martini Sigil

A really good premiere... While thus far, the USA network has mostly middling to blah shows (Queen of the South and Falling Water are not bad, but not great either... Shooter and Colony are hackneyed as hell... Mr. Robot is exceptionally good)... this one seems to have potential... it's set in depression era Iowa... its really gritty, and the pilot was devoid of stupidity... it stars --among others-- Christopher Heyerdahl (the Swede from Hell on Wheels)... Logan Marshall-Green (Quarry) ... Sarah Jones (Polly from Sons of Anarchy) ... and Killian Scott (Ripper Street)

I know its early, but it's got potential to be more like Mr. Robot, and less like the new Kojack

That's where I recognized Creeley from. I just couldn't place him. Reminds me a bit of Tom Hardy in his mannerisms and delivery of lines. I'm still upset Quarry wasn't renewed.

I've enjoyed the first two episodes. Enough intrigue and action to keep me watching. The setting is interesting as well, but it wouldn't really work were it not set during the Great Depression.

I actually like all of the characters as well. Connie Nunn is a bit ridiculous, but a fun ridiculous. Had to gleefully roll my eyes during her encounter with leaders of the labor movement in Kentucky. I never saw Bessie's reveal coming, but it actually creates a ton of potential for her character as well as another and the show.

My only real issue is actually with USA. The commercial breaks are too heavily back-loaded. I was getting annoyed having to ff so often the last half hour.

Decent episode. Good to see to some vulnerability in the brothers, instead of them just kicking ass. I'm becoming more interested in Seth's past, but I suppose that is the big tease in the series. Him and his brother's.

Next week's episode looks like fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Of all the stupid things I've seen networks do.... changing this show from Tuesday to Thursday nights between episodes 4 and 5 is right up there...  I found out by dumb luck... I am sure that a lot of people think they're on break for the holidays... and they'll bail.... out of sight, out of mind.

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Of all the stupid things I've seen networks do.... changing this show from Tuesday to Thursday nights between episodes 4 and 5 is right up there...  I found out by dumb luck... I am sure that a lot of people think they're on break for the holidays... and they'll bail.... out of sight, out of mind.

Yeah, I was wondering what the hell they were thinking. I prefer the Thursday slot simply because nothing else I watch airs then, but USA never even gave a heads up to viewers that I'm aware of. Luckily I rescheduled the series on my dvr for Thursday before missing any episodes.

Thursday's episode was decent. I liked Creeley finding the bodies at Seth's place and using them to blackmail hi out of Holden. The addition of Lew was unnecessary except for the hitman shooting him instead of Seth. How long before Connie makes it to Holden?

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Thursday's episode was decent. I liked Creeley finding the bodies at Seth's place and using them to blackmail hi out of Holden. The addition of Lew was unnecessary except for the hitman shooting him instead of Seth. How long before Connie makes it to Holden?

It's a 12 episode season... so I'm sure that Connie will run up against either Creeley or Seth somewhere along the line... I wouldn't be surprised if the brothers find a common enemy in the Pinkertons, and team up eventually.... 

I agree that Lew looks like a throw-away character... I'd be sur[rised if he stuck around... although it was interesting to see that D.L. is a crack-shot... totally wan't expecting that.... so he might play a bigger part in whatever upcoming violence is most certain to happen....

To me, Bessie is the most interesting character.... especially after the reveal.... the scenes with her and Don are awkward as hell... and

great...

I agree with you on Bessie. She seems the deepest of all the characters. The rest are a bit too one-dimensional. Seth actually bores me the most. I find Bessie's father interesting in a bizarre way. He's clearly a piece of shit, but I get the feeling he truly cares about his daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Charles Vane!

Fun episode. The elites pulling the threads in this show are so comically over-the-top, but it somehow works for me. It's at least entertaining. Looks like we finally have our convergence of characters. Next weeks episode looks great.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Captain Charles Vane!

Fun episode. The elites pulling the threads in this show are so comically over-the-top, but it somehow works for me. It's at least entertaining. Looks like we finally have our convergence of characters. Next weeks episode looks great.

Right? Seeing Zach McGowen was a pleasant surprise.... and that invention of his was hilarious...

good Creely episode... excellent fight... and although he's not as educated, he is just as smart as the people on that balcony

I really dug the reveal that the guy running against Berryman for Sheriff ... and I'm glad that Bessie got away

the flashbacks really work... and for once,  Nunn's presence wasn't absurd...

Totally agree about the Black Legion being under-utilized this season... especially now that they have that big gun...lol

One the things that has made this such a good watch is how Seth and Creely appear so much younger --both physically and emotionally-- in the flashbacks... and its not effects... its the actors... the flashback versions have entirely different postures, and demeanor's... they're both un-confident, and unsure... the complete opposite of who they become... it would be really easy to get wrong... but to the credit of whomever cast them both, they are both excellent...

.... and their father is a class A prick.... hahahahahaha

Connie's change of heart after Seth's revelation was a bit too quick for me. I also was a bit surprised by DL's fate. It just seemed a bit sudden to me. Like the episode overall. The best parts were probably Bessie and Don's scenes together.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Connie's change of heart after Seth's revelation was a bit too quick for me. I also was a bit surprised by DL's fate. It just seemed a bit sudden to me. Like the episode overall. The best parts were probably Bessie and Don's scenes together.

Yeah... at least DL went out like a champ... the Bessie and Don scenes were great... agreed... The Connie thing didn't bother me though... really that was the impetus for everything she was doing... when she found out she had the wrong man... I get the mini- breakdown... and her ensuing bad-assery.....lol... Melvin needs a bullet

After being slightly irked that the various characters were coming together too conveniently to face a common foe, the ending was really well done. I love how the writers so quickly untied that and put everyone back into conflict again. Every character's season ending was handled well: Creeley accepting Duval's proposition,Bessie and Creeley's listening to Memphis Pearl, Connie's reversion and confrontation with Amelia and its cliffhanger,. Seth finally seeming to find redemption until that cliffhanger. My favorite scene, by far, was Don's line about being a father and handling of Stubbs. I loved that.

I'm hoping this gets renewed for a second season. The writers definitely set the show up well for another. I fear it may not get the viewership, though. Hopefully we aren't the only two watching it @Martini Sigil:) 

39 minutes ago, Astromech said:

After being slightly irked that the various characters were coming together too conveniently to face a common foe, the ending was really well done. I love how the writers so quickly untied that and put everyone back into conflict again. Every character's season ending was handled well: Creeley accepting Duval's proposition,Bessie and Creeley's listening to Memphis Pearl, Connie's reversion and confrontation with Amelia and its cliffhanger,. Seth finally seeming to find redemption until that cliffhanger. My favorite scene, by far, was Don's line about being a father and handling of Stubbs. I loved that.

I'm hoping this gets renewed for a second season. The writers definitely set the show up well for another. I fear it may not get the viewership, though. Hopefully we aren't the only two watching it @Martini Sigil:) 

Ha!.... I think we may have been.... I really liked it... it wasn't Breaking Bad... but it was more than competent...  I hope ii comes back for a 2nd season....

really good cliffhanger, too... they wrapped up almost everything, and then... blood on the bible...

• 1 month later...

Archived