Weinstein/Hollywood Sex Scandal Continues To Produce Headlines

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ok I hope nothing bad happens around Louis CK as it will really put a nasty edge to his comedy.

Having said that, the report that he ASKED some women if he could masturbate in front of them, when he wasn't exactly rich or famous, held no position of power over them, well that doesn't really come close to the other stories we are hearing about. 

1 minute ago, Eggegg said:

Ok I hope nothing bad happens around Louis CK as it will really put a nasty edge to his comedy.

Having said that, the report he ASKED some women if he could masturbate in front of them, when he wasn't exactly rich or famous, held no position of power over them, well that doesn't really come close to the other stories we are hearing about. 

Yeah, it's not to the Weinstein level of things, but it is still really weird and inappropriate. The point many comics have made regarding this is any headliner really does have clout in the world of stand-up. They take smaller comics out on the road to open for them, they often put together showcases for producers and agents, and guys like Louis actually produce and direct their own shows and are often involved in the casting of these shows. So in a lot of ways he's kind of like a smaller version of Weinstein.

I don't know, I love the guys work, so I don't want to believe it, but I'm not going to defend him.

It sounds like Kevin Spacey might be looking at some serious jail time. I thought there would be some fallout after the Weinstein revelations and that some people would be outed as predators, but I didn't think it would be this many this quickly. And for those of you who don't follow the U.S. politics thread, a candidate for the Senate who was almost a sure lock just got outed as being a pedophile. I doubt that the woman (or women) would have come forward to tell their story/ies if Weinstein hadn't been busted.

Also, how the hell does Trump still get a pass on all of this?

10 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, it's not to the Weinstein level of things, but it is still really weird and inappropriate. The point many comics have made regarding this is any headliner really does have clout in the world of stand-up. They take smaller comics out on the road to open for them, they often put together showcases for producers and agents, and guys like Louis actually produce and direct their own shows and are often involved in the casting of these shows. So in a lot of ways he's kind of like a smaller version of Weinstein.

I don't know, I love the guys work, so I don't want to believe it, but I'm not going to defend him.

I think CK has always owned up to being a bit of a sad lonely pervert, and so I'm not sure this will ruin his career or anything. Most of these stories make me simply feel sorry for him , but then his comedy always did that anyway, that was part of his honesty. That he might be some sort of sexual deviant is not really that surprising. 

21 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Having said that, the report that he ASKED some women if he could masturbate in front of them, when he wasn't exactly rich or famous, held no position of power over them, well that doesn't really come close to the other stories we are hearing about. 

That's not accurate. Reportedly it continued and, frankly, became worse where power dynamics became intrinsic to the harassment/ abuse.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/9/16629400/louis-ck-allegations-masturbation

I've also been a huge fan of Louis CK's for a long time - so it's a particularly frustrating, disappointing, and disgusting story.

6 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

I think CK has always owned up to being a bit of a sad lonely pervert, and so I'm not sure this will ruin his career or anything. Most of these stories make me simply feel sorry for him , but then his comedy always did that anyway, that was part of his honesty. That he might be some sort of sexual deviant is not really that surprising. 

Eh, it might not kill his career, but it is certainly going to hurt it pretty badly. As you say, he's worked that lonely pervert/sexual honesty into his act really effectively. The bit he does on rape is genius, and he's one of an extremely small set of stand-ups that can get away with making these kinds of jokes. This will hurt his material even if it doesn't stick, methinks.

4 minutes ago, Week said:

That's not accurate. Reportedly it continued and, frankly, became worse where power dynamics became intrinsic to the harassment/ abuse.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/9/16629400/louis-ck-allegations-masturbation

I've also been a huge fan of Louis CK's for a long time - so it's a particularly frustrating, disappointing, and disgusting story.

Yeah, this one hits home for me as well. It's not as bad as Cosby certainly, but it kills me when a guy whose talent I really admire taints themselves like this. So disappointing.

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh, I think CK's career might be kaput.

I'd be surprised if this sinks him completely. He's one of those guys who have such a rare combination of drive and talent and is so multi-faceted (writer/director/producer/editor, etc) that he's not reliant on a 3rd party really. He has his own studio and production company. He kind of pioneered selling his own specials digitally, he has a massive fan base, etc. 

Maybe it should, but I'd be surprised if it does.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, not to politicize the topic AGAIN, but Trump did win the election, so who the hell knows anyway.

What were we talking about before the last topic went FUBAR? I can't even recall.

Mother Cocanuts wanted to know how we could categorize grabbing someones pussy as being sexual assault.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Say it ain't so, Louie. Say it ain't so. 

Just now, KingintheNorth4 said:

Say it ain't so, Louie. Say it ain't so. 

Creepy fucker that jokes about rape and cumming on women turns out to actually not be joking that much, enjoys assault and cumming on women. 

Shouldn't be that surprising.

44 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Mother Cocanuts wanted to know how we could categorize grabbing someones pussy as being sexual assault.

[mod] Let's not revisit that topic, or anything else that Mother Cocanuts said in that thread, please. I'd like to keep this discussion constructive. Thank you. [/mod]

53 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'd be surprised if this sinks him completely. He's one of those guys who have such a rare combination of drive and talent and is so multi-faceted (writer/director/producer/editor, etc) that he's not reliant on a 3rd party really. He has his own studio and production company. He kind of pioneered selling his own specials digitally, he has a massive fan base, etc. 

Maybe it should, but I'd be surprised if it does.

Thing is though that I'm fairly sure a large part of his fanbase is from the liberal side of things, which as has been noted means they're more likely to turn on him for this sort of thing.

50 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Creepy fucker that jokes about rape and cumming on women turns out to actually not be joking that much, enjoys assault and cumming on women. 

Shouldn't be that surprising.

Not really family with CK but that brings to mind the recent Sheen allegations, which surprise me not at all.

Depending upon how we all react to it, Louis CK may be the one who can humanize the problem and bring both sides together.  I've heard the bit in his act where he describes the sense of being a slave to his animal sexual urges.  He speaks to the duality of the human experience--Good Me, Bad Me.  Some of his bits are specifically disputes between Good Me/Bad Me although he characterizes them as disputes between two different people.

I can't help but relate that to our culture's attitude toward female sexuality and the madonna/whore complex.  Many years ago, on this very forum (although it was in ezboard days) I questioned a fellow boarder who was stuck between love and respect for his SO and the dirty stuff he wanted to do sexually.  The upshot was that the sexual acts needed to be taboo in order for them to be powerful but that if his loved and respected girlfriend engaged in these acts, he could no longer respect her.

Whomever the hell started all this, men and women are both trapped. Progressives want women to be free from sexual power plays and free to be sexual but the message gets confused.  In this article, a woman says " She was in her early 20s and went along with his request, but later questioned his behavior. "  I've got no problem with that.  Is she a victim?  I can't say, only she can say.  Where is the line between 'he is powerful and can benefit me or destroy me' and 'sure, I'd like to see your cock'?

My point here is that whichever way the political winds may blow, we need to have compassion for both sides.  No one should have to endure unwanted sexual behavior from their superiors and no one should feel alone and despised because of their human nature.

Because LCK honestly relates his struggles with his own duality, he makes a better candidate for compassion than others.  I don't excuse him because based on his work, I don't think he excuses himself.  If he can have the courage to acknowledge his misconduct and open the dialog he could have a great impact for the good.

Or maybe he will submit to his handlers and go the tried-and-true route of disparaging women.  I watch with interest.

Archived