Weinstein/Hollywood Sex Scandal Continues To Produce Headlines

Manhole Eunuchsbane

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

The thing is, as has been noticed here, but evidently not on the larger media, that much older guys effing much younger girls, underage girls by the laws of the land, is actually a thing among many of these types found in Alabama and across the south, particularly within a lot of church affiliations. 14 year old girls are SUPPOSED to be pregnant, preferably by metaphorical ME, because that's how god likes it, wants it, and that's their function, the sooner the better.  Which explains a whole lot of missing outrage.  This is how things are supposed to be and they believe it.

Yes.  I have spent a LOT of time down there, alas, among these groups -- though fortunately among a lot of other groups as well, whom I like a lot!

Yep its pretty backwards. But only by todays western standards. At pretty much any other time and place in history it would be more than normal, and it made a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sizemore wouldn't surprise me at all, the guy seems to be a total mess, and god knows what drugs and mental states he was in.

8 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

I wish so many dudes weren't so enthused to just play 'internet'and argue for the sake of debate and instead would just shut their fucking mouths and listen. 

This might amaze you, but sometimes men actually have opinions on things as well, and aren't just arguing for the sake of debate.

Still no one has been able to explain to me why there is a problem with both contributing and listening. There is no reason you can't do both- in fact that's how normal discussion is supposed to work.

Would you ever say "women should just shut their fucking mouths and listen"? Is it that outlandish to treat men and women equally?

8 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I was specifically referring to white men in the God-fearing South during the 50's, 60's, and early 70's. Get 'em young, groom them till they're legal and marry them. Bonus points if the parents are on board. 

But sure, let's conflate them with something else. Again. You clever fox.

Bloody hell, I thought I was actually backing your point up! I thought you were talking about rock stars, I don't think it was clear that's what you meant specifically. This is getting bizarre now.

56 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Yep its pretty backwards. But only by todays western standards. At pretty much any other time and place in history it would be more than normal, and it made a lot of sense. 

It only makes sense when you disregard women as people; (as girl children are the most affected by child marriage) and you view girl children as inherently sexual or ~sexually mature~ because apparently all women are. I know why it's practised, for various reasons outside of just wanting to have sex with a child; but all the economic or political reasons and even much shorter life expectancy all have to operate within this belief that girl children have no body autonomy and so for the good of their family, and as part of familial duty they should marry young. 

And that doesn't make sense to me. And I don't think it's normal. Because as a woman I view other women as human beings. So let's not try to paint this as an okay practice that fragile modern western snowflakes are only unhappy about!!! 

1 hour ago, Eggegg said:

Sizemore wouldn't surprise me at all, the guy seems to be a total mess, and god knows what drugs and mental states he was in.

Doesn't matter what freakin drugs or mental state he was in. An ELEVEN YEAR OLD child is an eleven year old child. No amount of shit is going to make you genuinely forget or not realise THAT. 

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It only makes sense when you disregard women as people; (as girl children are the most affected by child marriage) and you view girl children as inherently sexual or ~sexually mature~ because apparently all women are. I know why it's practised, for various reasons outside of just wanting to have sex with a child; but all the economic or political reasons and even much shorter life expectancy all have to operate within this belief that girl children have no body autonomy and so for the good of their family, and as part of familial duty they should marry young. 

And that doesn't make sense to me. And I don't think it's normal. Because as a woman I view other women as human beings. So let's not try to paint this as an okay practice that fragile modern western snowflakes are only unhappy about!!! 

Well thats by todays standards. In many cultures you are an adult as soon as you hit puberty and are sexually ready at that point as well. We don't see things like that any more for a variety of reasons. I don't think it has anything to do with not viewing women as people at all, that is a strange spin on it IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Doesn't matter what freakin drugs or mental state he was in. An ELEVEN YEAR OLD child is an eleven year old child. No amount of shit is going to make you genuinely forget or not realise THAT. 

Drink and drugs can make people do some absolutely terrible things, I've seen it in real life. Its hard to say whether it brings out a side of someone that was already there or whether it just creates these effects on its own. 

1 hour ago, Eggegg said:

Since most of us are living in todays western societies, those are the only standards applicable.

2000 years ago (hell, even 200 years ago in some of the western societies) it would be normal to have slaves and you know what? Quite a few people thought that made a lot of sense, too.

It's funny how it always "makes sense" to the people benefiting from it, while those affected most are not even asked about it.

24 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

This might amaze you, but sometimes men actually have opinions on things as well, and aren't just arguing for the sake of debate.

Still no one has been able to explain to me why there is a problem with both contributing and listening. There is no reason you can't do both- in fact that's how normal discussion is supposed to work.

Would you ever say "women should just shut their fucking mouths and listen"? Is it that outlandish to treat men and women equally?

oh,  for fuck's sake. 

I am through with you and those like you. 

evolution cannot be forced. 

23 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Well thats by todays standards. In many cultures you are an adult as soon as you hit puberty and are sexually ready at that point as well. We don't see things like that any more for a variety of reasons. I don't think it has anything to do with not viewing women as people at all, that is a strange spin on it IMO. 

Drink and drugs can make people do some absolutely terrible things, I've seen it in real life. Its hard to say whether it brings out a side of someone that was already there or whether it just creates these effects on its own. 

How is that a strange spin on it? I already said girl children already received already reflected most by the practise of child marriage. And hitting puberty makes them sexual ready??? Ready for what???? Reproducing and having children??? So...essentially what I already just said then.

Also sounds a lot like you'e excusing someone for potentially molesting an 11 year old child because he possibly "on" something. 

55 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

This might amaze you, but very often our opinions are actually knee-jerk reactions based on a deeply ingrained culturally influenced view of how the world works. And we end up arguing without trying to understand the issue first.

22 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

How is that a strange spin on it? I already said girl children already received already reflected most by the practise of child marriage. And hitting puberty makes them sexual ready??? Ready for what???? Reproducing and having children??? So...essentially what I already just said then.

Also sounds a lot like you'e excusing someone for potentially molesting an 11 year old child because he possibly "on" something. 

Mothers were incredibly important parts of society, they were certainly viewed as people. Peoples roles were different back then I agree, but your view of it doesn't quite tie into mine. Either way this is an entirely off topic conversation and I find your tone quite aggressive so I'm just going to leave that there and choose not to respond.

12 minutes ago, Seli said:

This might amaze you, but very often our opinions are actually knee-jerk reactions based on a deeply ingrained culturally influenced view of how the world works. And we end up arguing without trying to understand the issue first.

I agree, completely. And I am trying to understand the issues better. I linked one video by this Youtuber earlier, here is his channel- https://www.youtube.com/user/rebelliouspixels

I've watched most of these videos, and they really have made me examine things differently.

I'm not asking anyone not to challenge my "deeply ingrained culturally influenced view of how the world works", I'm asking people to debate with me in a normal way, not tell me to shut up because I've got a dick.

To have a productive debate, both sides have an open mind, the idea that they might not fully appreciate every angle, every viewpoint. I'm not sure that's the case on here. A lot of people post in quite a "black and white" style- this is good, this bad, this right, this is wrong, absolutely. If anyone disagrees, they must be mocked and insulted.

If you look back on the last thread we had, someone came in and defended Donald Trump's comments on women. I went through and refuted their points, as politely as I could. Why? Because I believe that's how people actually change their mind about things. I don't think anyone has ever changed their mind about something because someone told them to "shut the fuck up". I grew up in a conservative environment, and I used to hold a lot of views I now see as bigoted, like homophobia. I don't think anyone shouting at me ever made me reconsider anything. I think that educating myself and having polite discussions led to a gradual reversal of that position.

34 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Mothers were incredibly important parts of society, they were certainly viewed as people. Peoples roles were different back then I agree, but your view of it doesn't quite tie into mine. Either way this is an entirely off topic conversation and I find your tone quite aggressive so I'm just going to leave that there and choose not to respond.

Yeah and I'm sure that all the children that were married chose to be wives and mothers. I'm not saying mothers aren't human beings and aren't deserving of respect; I'm saying just viewing women as potential wives and mothers and taking the body autonomy and choices away from them is Not A Good Thing. Women are people and should have the same opportunities and choices as men. So I disagreed with your initial point that this was normal because even though it was commonplace in some areas of the world and still is today I don't really view it as normal. 

But you DID choose to respond though...so I'm not at all sure what that snide remark about my tone was meant to accomplish. 

But granted; this is a bit of a tangent from the main topic but I dont think it's without credit. 

1 hour ago, mankytoes said:

I agree, completely. And I am trying to understand the issues better. I linked one video by this Youtuber earlier, here is his channel- https://www.youtube.com/user/rebelliouspixels

I've watched most of these videos, and they really have made me examine things differently.

I'm not asking anyone not to challenge my "deeply ingrained culturally influenced view of how the world works", I'm asking people to debate with me in a normal way, not tell me to shut up because I've got a dick....

It is not the job of other people to challenge our deeply ingrained prejudices, that is our own job. People are not telling others to shut up because they have dicks, but because they behave like dicks and refuse to examine their own biases and knee-jerk reactions.

This is a subject (as many others) that has to be about introspection and dialogue, not debate and convincing others.

40 minutes ago, Seli said:

It is not the job of other people to challenge our deeply ingrained prejudices, that is our own job. People are not telling others to shut up because they have dicks, but because they behave like dicks and refuse to examine their own biases and knee-jerk reactions.

This is a subject (as many others) that has to be about introspection and dialogue, not debate and convincing others.

Well it isn't my "job", but when I hear someone saying sexual assault is ok, I do think it's important to challenge them, because I don't want them to commit those acts, and I don't want them spreading that idea to others. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have examined my own biases, I gave you a specfic example of where I did that. Or more recently, looking at James Bond, I always thought there were things in there about women that seem stereotypical and outdated, but I never really thought about the wider effects that has.

Again, it isn't one or the other. I have no idea why you would be against convincing others if you think they have harmful views, though. You'll have to explain that one to me.

WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK CESSPOOL????

Are y'all seriously defending child marriage and asking for a pat on the back because you no longer want to stone the gays????

WHAT?  WHAT?  WHAT?  

Arguing AGAINST "don't rape people" education for boys????

WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCKING FUCK???

:hands de-victimisation spray back to KaIr and Theda and Kelli and DP.:

SHEEEIT.  I'm going to work.  FUCK YOU GUYS.  THIS THREAD IS A GODDAMN FILTHY TOILET AND YOU AREN'T FUCKING EVEN WORTH IT.

Archived