What if Robert listened to Ned's advice and sent Jaime to the wall

The Last Wolf

Jaime is the KG and hence cannot inherit. So it is possible that the story could've panned out about the same with a few changes. Maybe one child with Cersei instead of three. He could've still been out on some NW mission and met Brienne, lost his hand. But I don't think Tywin would've let it happen.

13 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

Tywin started a war because Tyrion was kidnapped. I can't imagine he'd meekly accept the dishonor of having his "good" son sent to the Wall.

Tywin did not "start a war" because Tyrion was kidnapped. He just sent Gregor Clegane to raid some villages in the Riverlands. They wore no banners, and no declaration of war had been done. He was just having his petty vengeance, testing the crown's reaction and whether Robert had enough support to deal with this situation. If Robert had been able to capture Gregor and justice him, Tywin would have just said that he acted on his own and without his knowledge.

Only when Robert died and Joffrey had been crowned king, Tywin dared to send an army against Riverrun.

I don't thing that at the end of Robert's Rebelion Tywin had enough power to confront the Iron Throne. Although he had not suffered loses during the war, he would be fighting alone against the entire realm (after what he had done to Rhaegar's children even the loyalists would be happy to side against him)

22 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Tywin did not "start a war" because Tyrion was kidnapped. He just sent Gregor Clegane to raid some villages in the Riverlands. They wore no banners, and no declaration of war had been done. He was just having his petty vengeance, testing the crown's reaction and whether Robert had enough support to deal with this situation. If Robert had been able to capture Gregor and justice him, Tywin would have just said that he acted on his own and without his knowledge.

Only when Robert died and Joffrey had been crowned king, Tywin dared to send an army against Riverrun.

I don't thing that at the end of Robert's Rebelion Tywin had enough power to confront the Iron Throne. Although he had not suffered loses during the war, he would be fighting alone against the entire realm (after what he had done to Rhaegar's children even the loyalists would be happy to side against him)

"Only when Robert died and Joffrey had been crowned king, Tywin dared to send an army against Riverrun." ...right, so he did start a war, and it was because Catelyn had taken Tyrion hostage.

I'm not saying Tywin would have challenged Robert directly, but they wouldn't have had the mutually beneficial arrangement that they had in canon had Robert punished Jaime. And that would have been a big deal, given Robert's spending habits.

1.  Jaime doesn't become LC because of the Stark/North relationship.  The Old Bear still gets elected, and Benjen is still the heir apparent.  Jaime likely becomes first ranger (he's older than Benjen and a former KG) or gets command of another castle, possibly opening a fourth.  More importantly, Jaime is actually happy at the wall.  The few times we see Jaime genuinely happy during the series, he's off campaigning during the WOT5K.  He likes to be around soldiers, and not just his own.  He likes and respects Steelshanks, makes Raff the Sweetling useful, and trusts Ser Addam Marbrand.  Jaime would fit in a purely military order, and enjoy the lifestyle, adding to his own legend in combat at the Wall.

2.  Tywin re-marries and has more children.  Even during the WOT5K, Tywin is still young enough to remarry and father children, and obviously still has functioning sex drive (caught by Tyrion fucking Shae).  Tywin obviously loved Joanna and doesn't WANT to remarry, but 14 years prior, with Jaime off to the Wall and Cersei married (or not) to Robert, Tywin would likely re-marry and have more children.  That's a great conversation:  If Tywin re-marries after Robert's Rebellion, to who would he wed?

4 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

1.  Jaime doesn't become LC because of the Stark/North relationship.  The Old Bear still gets elected, and Benjen is still the heir apparent.  Jaime likely becomes first ranger (he's older than Benjen and a former KG) or gets command of another castle, possibly opening a fourth.  More importantly, Jaime is actually happy at the wall.  The few times we see Jaime genuinely happy during the series, he's off campaigning during the WOT5K.  He likes to be around soldiers, and not just his own.  He likes and respects Steelshanks, makes Raff the Sweetling useful, and trusts Ser Addam Marbrand.  Jaime would fit in a purely military order, and enjoy the lifestyle, adding to his own legend in combat at the Wall.

You hit the nail on the head. I can definitely see Jaime as first ranger, and like you said, he enjoys the military life. The camaraderie among the Night's Watch would also probably end up working out for him, since fewer people would hold being the kingslayer against him. I could see him rising to Lord Commander eventually, but not until much later in life.

I fully believe Cersei still would have had an affair, just like I think she would have had an affair if she were married to Rhaegar. Cersei is a narcissist; she needs constant adoration, and neither Robert nor Rhaegar would have given her that. Chances are she would probably have had several lovers over the years, many of whom would have suffered convenient deaths once she grew bored of them. 

Tywin probably would have been forced to remarry, although I'm not sure to whom. Like his daughter, I get the impression that he preferred a wife who was as Lannister-esque as possible. Assuming he remarried within a few years of the end of Robert's Rebellion, I'm not sure who would have been available at that time. The Tully sisters are both married, Lyanna is dead, Arianne and Asha are too young. I suppose Tywin would likely end up marrying a noblewoman from a bannermen house. 

Once he produced another son, however, I think he would have sent Tyrion to the citadel. And honestly, Tyrion would have probably liked that. 

27 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

If Tywin re-marries after Robert's Rebellion, to who would he wed?

Doran adds him to the list of old men his daughter would never agree to marry for many reasons. However Tywin charms Arianne the same way he did Joanna right around the time Arianne concludes Doran is passing her over for her brother. She gets revenge on her father by marrying his sworn enemy and gets all the gold jewelry she wants as Lady of the Rock. They have 4 sons and 2 daughters. Both daughters are considered even more beautiful then Cersei, Robert takes notice when the eldest turns 17 and comes to King's Landing for a visit. 

Archived