Cleganebowl question

Rewatching this episode again and something struck me.  I'm sure that this has been posited plenty of times, but is it possible that Sandor's ultimate act of redemption will be killing Gregor?  "What have they done to you?"  That somehow Sandor finds love of family, not his because Gregor is horrific, but through empathy and decides to end his life (by fire, it has to be by fire), to be merciful, something he has always lacked? Gregor is a complete asshole, but I don't think anyone deserves what he was turned into. It would be an interesting arc for Sandor. 

I'm sure there are plenty of ideas already about this, but I'm really bad at the search function.  Always comes back with exactly what I wasn't looking for. Please point me to threads that discuss already if you know.  

Thank you. 

1. Cleganebowl is happening, so whatever it takes to get there, D&D will do it to appease the fans.

2. I think personally, the Hound's character arc in the book is done with the gravedigger. It makes sense for him in the books and for him to come back doesn't make a great character arc. Now could D&D do something as you describe to bring it full circle, yeah that is a way to go. It's kinda cliche, the family member killing the other out of love even though they were treated poorly. But it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
But as far as the book goes, I think he is done so whatever the show does, is purely them coming up with stuff (hence why I think Cleganebowl will happen.)

• 1 month later...

Cleganebowl!  Fucking confirmed.  Get hype.

Midway through season five this show started becoming bad and season seven was absolute garbage.  Beautiful, entertaining garbage, but equally infuriating.  I don't care how it happens or what it means to the characters, it is the most important thing to me to see in season eight.  That, and a character acknowledging that Danerys has never explained what she means by breaking the wheel and that actually everything she has ever done was extremely self serving.  But i'll settle for Cleganebowl.  I don't believe it will be a redemption thing though.

Agreed with @btfu806 on the books, Sandor is not coming back.

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Agreed with @btfu806 on the books, Sandor is not coming back.

So then why show this character in the books? Seems an odd choice to add the grave digger and have it be the Hound if you aren't doing something with him later. I have no interest in the fight since it likely means nothing in the grand scheme.

• 4 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 12:54 AM, dbunting said:

So then why show this character in the books? Seems an odd choice to add the grave digger and have it be the Hound if you aren't doing something with him later. I have no interest in the fight since it likely means nothing in the grand scheme.

I haven't read the books in a little while, but last we left in SOS, Arya was letting him die under a tree. 
Then in Feast, we hear/read rumors that he is leading a pack of outlaws and killing tons of people, also that he joined Beric's brotherhood. We learn later his helm was taken and it's not really him. So as a reader, we have no idea what the hound is doing, if he died, if he is still killing lots of people or what. Instead, we get the gravedigger to show that the violent past of his life is done and he is at peace now. To me it's perfect GRRM, he doesn't come out and say The Hound is ok and alive don't worry. He leaves us enough hints and clues to figure it out. 

Well, I am one of the ones that wants to see the Clegagne bowl, however, looking at the books and the whole story... poor Sandor suffered the most horrific injuries by his brother and their father did nothing... Very much like what Tywin did with his children.  I guess if someone had burnt Tyrion he wouldn't had complained too much either.  Slightly out of topic but I find bad parenting (as in attrocious) a fascinating theme in this series.  

Still looking at what we got, not saying that there are attenuating circumstances, but several times it is mentioned that Gregor suffered from impossible headaches (not sure at what medical condition we are looking at here or what George is hinting at, but he is hinting at something).

If the whole idea is that Sandor has calmed down maybe he sees that his brother had, I don't know getting creative here ( a brain tumour or some condition such) and furthermore than he is now an undead and walk away, or finish him for good.  Hard to say which one but this story needs a resolution! whether is forgiveness or mercy... (in the Arya way)

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2018 at 9:00 PM, Byfort of Corfe said:

Clegane bowl, really?  How often has GRRM given the fans the truly epic fight they want.  Single combat is few and far between.  Grudge matches? Very rare.  Grudge matches the fans want going the way the fans want?  Even rarer.

GRRM has nothing to do with the TV show anymore. Its D&D we're dealing with here, and they will absolutely give in to fan demands. 

• 7 months later...

So, what if the battle at Winterfell is lost by the living and the survivors head south on their teleporters to escape. That could at least get the Cleganes in the same area. Also gets Cersei close to her younger brothers (or brother if one dies). And the younger more beautiful queen candidates nearer the throne.

I'd say then the Golden Company breaks their pact with Cersei and swoops in to save the day and the living end up winning the war. Clegane bowl happens, Cersei dies at Jaime's hand, to stop her from using the wildfire under the red keep, just like when he killed the Mad King?, and Dany or Sansa, or in my dreams, little Lady Mormont!, takes the throne. Of course that's probably all wrong!

Archived