Are the Greyjoys the comic relief of the series?

Frey Kings

Are the Greyjoys the closet we get to a comic relief of the series? We get it, Iron islanders, pirates, vikings, explorers, isolated, uninhabitable, inhospitable environment and hate the Westerosi main folk.

heh Balon's return to the 'Old Ways'

If the constant raping and pillaging done to another kingdom by a another kingdom, it would be a act of war.

How much longer would you tolerate it if the next door neighbor kept taking your delivery boxes?

ACOK Theon I

Aegon the Dragon had destroyed the Old Way when he burned Black Harren, gave Harren's kingdom back to the weakling rivermen, and reduced the Iron Islands to an insignificant backwater of a much greater realm. Yet the old red tales were still told around driftwood fires and smoky hearths all across the islands, even behind the high stone halls of Pyke.

AFFC The Kraken's Daughter

Your father had more courage than sense. The Old Way served the isles well when we were one small kingdom amongst many, but Aegon's Conquest put an end to that. Balon refused to see what was plain before him. The Old Way died with Black Harren and his sons.

There's some sane ones like Asha and her pals.

IF YOURE GOING TO GO ARRRRRRRRRGH PIRATING, DONT DO IT TO YOUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR

Lastly, I will take my blue shade of the evening, kick a dragon egg over, psychologically torture some mystic people tied up in my haunted cellar and leave you with this

But who would rule them? On the mainland, some urged Aegon to make the ironborn vassals to Lord Tully of Riverrun, whom he had named Lord Paramount of the Trident. Others suggested that the islands be given to Casterly Rock. A few went so far as to implore him to scour the isles clean with dragonflame, putting an end to the scourge of the ironborn for all time.

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

Comic relief is supposed to be entertaining, not boring and a waste of space.

So; nope.

:laugh:

3 hours ago, Freys Injustice said:

Are the Greyjoys the closet we get to a comic relief of the series?

Comic relief is supposed to break the tension. GRRM isn't all that big on comic relief. When it does come, it is from side-characters or even random common people talking about what's going on, how misinformed they are and what a lot of nonsense they find it all anyway. 

Well if they are meant to be the comic relief they have done a very poor job. I don't know that there is supposed to be a comic relief but there is some comedy in the series. Tyrion is comical at times, Dolorous Edd, Grenn & Pyp, even old Walder Frey has some good lines heh

I'm not sure what made you think the Greyjoys were meant to be comical but my opinion is a resounding NO. 

I first took them for a bunch of losers: Balon, Victarion, Aeron, Theon, even Asha. Quite boring too. Then you hear about Euron. And assume he is a loser too. But when you learn more...

IMO the sorry state of Theon's family is, in part at least, to disguise for as long as possible the importance of Euron.

1 minute ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I first took them for a bunch of losers: Balon, Victarion, Aeron, Theon, even Asha. Quite boring too. Then you hear about Euron. And assume he is a loser too. But when you learn more...

IMO the sorry state of Theon's family is, in part at least, to disguise for as long as possible the importance of Euron.

At least Asha knows she's a loser.

4 hours ago, Wolf of The Wall said:

If they are that means GRRM made a shit job at comic relief because non of the Ironborn chapters made me laugh. Especially The Forsaken.

Same here. I found nothing "comic" about the Ironborn at all. As others have noted, there are elements of humor scattered throughout ASOIAF, often in the most grim situations (that is, where needed most!) Characters like Dolorous Edd and Mormont's Raven, Bronn, Tyrion. Funnily, the court fools are often the most ominous and threatening of all: Patchface, Ser Dontos, maybe even Butterbumps. Even hardened, cynical killers like the Hound and Jaime Lannnister have a lot of great one-liners.

But the Ironborn? The only humor I recall was when Theon returned to Pyke and immediately started hitting on his own sister, who shamelessly led him on. (You can't help but love Asha.)

I wouldn't call it comic relief but rather creepy clown.  Victarion's thought processes in particular have seemed so absurd to make me laugh out loud at times.   Patchface is another clownish character, a jester dressed in motley with sinister aspect. 

Sooner or later, our heroes will have to put these clowns to the sword. And sometimes not even that stops them. Also take note that many of these clowns may or may not be completely insane and also commit their horrific crimes laughing crazily and frequently while acting in a very similar manner to an overgrown child.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MonsterClown

The Villainous Harlequin is the product of the popular view of The Jester, which is that of an idiotic buffoon. (This is despite the fact that The Jester was one of the most insightful members of a king's court, due to his position outside the usual social ranks.) Interestingly, in some Renaissance art Death itself is often portrayed dressed in motley, or "pied" clothing, which is often conflated with the true Harlequin outfit. The more danger a Villainous Harlequin poses to the protagonists, the closer he or she gets to Monster Clown.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainousHarlequin

On the contrary, I've found that the Greyjoys are often a source of tragedy. In some respects, they're a much less pathetic, more entertaining version of the Freys -- highly dysfunctional, but they get things done. 

Even though the Iron Islands' refusal to reform has led to their destitution, the crown didn't do anything to help bring them into the realm over the course of three-hundred years. No marriages with Ironborn families, no Ironborn council members, essentially no interest in the well-being of the Ironborn to begin with. The Ironborn may be difficult to rein in, but the Targaryens and other paramount families wasted every opportunity they had to improve relations between them and the mainland. 

3 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

The question of how come they are still living in the Iron Islands and not expelled from the Kingdom is anyone's guess and may be the only comical thing about them, IMO.

When Aegon conquered them I bet looking back he wished he didn't. :D

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

On the contrary, I've found that the Greyjoys are often a source of tragedy. In some respects, they're a much less pathetic, more entertaining version of the Freys -- highly dysfunctional, but they get things done. 

Even though the Iron Islands' refusal to reform has led to their destitution, the crown didn't do anything to help bring them into the realm over the course of three-hundred years. No marriages with Ironborn families, no Ironborn council members, essentially no interest in the well-being of the Ironborn to begin with. The Ironborn may be difficult to rein in, but the Targaryens and other paramount families wasted every opportunity they had to improve relations between them and the mainland. 

Bravo. Awesome post. 

8 hours ago, LynnS said:

I wouldn't call it comic relief but rather creepy clown. 

The Brave Companions would fit better for this role. But sure, GRRM has very creep clowns.

8 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

The question of how come they are still living in the Iron Islands and not expelled from the Kingdom is anyone's guess and may be the only comical thing about them, IMO.

Yes. It's my POV also. After the 3rd or 10th major problem, they should have been wiped out completely. Like Skane or the cities of the Dothraki Sea. But the Seastone Chair seems evil, pushing anyone near it to evil deeds.

Archived