Of all the Targaryen names...

Angel Eyes

Why name Jon "Aegon"? 

First of all, Rhaegar already has a son named Aegon, and having this boy named Aegon makes Rhaegar look like an even bigger jerk because this means that the elder Aegon, son of Elia, is being replaced.

Second: There are other options. For example:

• Viserys: Rhaegar wanted three children "The dragon must have three heads", and his two children seemed to have a theme: Rhaenys and Aegon, two of the three conquerers of Westeros. Presumably, Rhaegar needs a "Visenya". Since the child with Lyanna was born a boy, you use Viserys. 
  • Jaehaerys: Jaehaerys I was the greatest King of Westeros.
  • Aemon: Aemon the Dragonknight was the greatest knight of his time, while Rhaegar's great-great uncle (is that the right terminology?) was Maester Aemon, with whom he corresponded frequently.

I don't like it either and I agree that they should have chosen another name. Not Viserys or Aemon though, because they were alive as well and afaik the Targaryens never named anyone in the family after someone who was still alive. Could be wrong about this though. I'd personally like Aemon, but Viserys still feels off to me because Rhaegar's brother was more or less the same age so not technically of the same generation but somewhat too close.

It might have been Lyanna's decision to name him Aegon after his dead brother if she knew about it. An attempt at honoring him in a way. Wouldn't be her only bad choice.

I don't get it either. I got severely pissed when his name was revealed to be Aegon. Are they assuming show watchers aren't familiar with the lore, i.e. Rhaegar already having two children, one of whom is named Aegon as well? I wonder if they will even give an explanation to that in season 8.

5 hours ago, Zapho said:

I don't like it either and I agree that they should have chosen another name. Not Viserys or Aemon though, because they were alive as well and afaik the Targaryens never named anyone in the family after someone who was still alive. Could be wrong about this though. I'd personally like Aemon, but Viserys still feels off to me because Rhaegar's brother was more or less the same age so not technically of the same generation but somewhat too close.

It might have been Lyanna's decision to name him Aegon after his dead brother if she knew about it. An attempt at honoring him in a way. Wouldn't be her only bad choice.

Targaryen’s aren’t afraid to name people after others while they’re still alive. Ex:

• Viserys son of Rhaenyra (later Viserys II) was probably named for Viserys I; the last Viserys was tortured to death by Maegor the Cruel
  • Daeron the Drunk was probably named for Daeron II

Perhaps it was a mistake? 

Or maybe they wanted to use a name that would be somewhat familiar, but none of the main characters have had on the show?

They probably figured that show watchers wouldn’t know rhaegar’s other son’s name, if it was mentioned at all in the show. If it was, they probably figured that people have forgotten already. 

32 minutes ago, 4 Eyed Crow said:

Perhaps it was a mistake? 

Or maybe they wanted to use a name that would be somewhat familiar, but none of the main characters have had on the show?

They probably figured that show watchers wouldn’t know rhaegar’s other son’s name, if it was mentioned at all in the show. If it was, they probably figured that people have forgotten already. 

Was the name of Rhaegar's son with Elia ever mentioned on the show?

16 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Was the name of Rhaegar's son with Elia ever mentioned on the show?

Only once. If you zoned out, you would have missed it. 

S3E4
"House Clegane was built upon dead children. I saw them lay Prince Aegon and Princess Rhaenys before the Iron Throne."
— Thoros of Myr

I forgot (and likely zoned out as well) and had to look it up. Maybe the writers also forgot they mentioned the name in the show. 

On 11/18/2017 at 1:46 PM, 4 Eyed Crow said:
Only once. If you zoned out, you would have missed it. 

S3E4
"House Clegane was built upon dead children. I saw them lay Prince Aegon and Princess Rhaenys before the Iron Throne."
— Thoros of Myr

I forgot (and likely zoned out as well) and had to look it up. Maybe the writers also forgot they mentioned the name in the show. 

Or maybe they hoped the audience didn't bloody remember?

On 11/27/2017 at 11:43 AM, btfu806 said:

I think they just kinda picked the name. I don't see GRRM naming Jon, Aegon. Doesn't make sense. As 4 Eyed Crow said, they don't reference child Aegon a lot so maybe they thought the Audience would forget.

The Audience Remembers...

Also, there's another option: 

Daeron: Daeron I conquered Dorne for four years, and Daeron II was one of the best Targaryen kings, who had ... questionable parentage. Could have nice foreshadowing of Robb's fate when Jon discussed Daeron I in AGOT.

16 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Also, there's another option: 

Daeron: Daeron I conquered Dorne for four years, and Daeron II was one of the best Targaryen kings, who had ... questionable parentage. Could have nice foreshadowing of Robb's fate when Jon discussed Daeron I in AGOT.

I agree that this audience remembers. I watch the show with non book readers or just, what I would call "casual" fans and they don't remember much in the name of details. Now of course, my small group of friends isn't indicative of everyone that watches it, just my sample size.

Forgot about Daeron, I will have to go back and research it but that is interesting! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2017 at 5:15 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Well, I didn’t remember. You didn’t remember. Judging by the internet, most of the audience don’t remember if the show mentioned it. (But I’ve rarely met GOT fans in real life, so I don’t have a live sample size.) I think the most likely explanation is because the writers forgot. 

9 hours ago, 4 Eyed Crow said:
Well, I didn’t remember. You didn’t remember. Judging by the internet, most of the audience don’t remember if the show mentioned it. (But I’ve rarely met GOT fans in real life, so I don’t have a live sample size.) I think the most likely explanation is because the writers forgot. 

I think either replacing the elder Aegon or honoring him is more likely than that the writers forgot. Else, why call him Aegon? Not only has it been mentioned in the show, it's been in the lore featurettes and the family trees given online and printed with the DVD/Blu-Ray sets. Also, they may want to invoke the "Aegon" that's shown up in the books.

• 2 months later...

I think they are making a parallel with Aegon the conquerer.  At the end of the show, the people who are allied with Jon  and dany will be the people ruling.  The North would most likely go to Sansa.  The Reach most likely will go to Sam or his sister.  The iron islands will go to either Yara or Theon.  The Vale to Robin.  The Riverlands to Edmure.  The Westerlands to Tyrion.  The Stormlands to a legitimized gendry.  Don't know about Dorne.  Of course that is asumming they all survive.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question is why he even has a name recorded?  I'm pretty sure Ned Stark didn't register at the local Maester's office.  If Rhaegar left a will or something, then everyone would know that Lyanna was pregnant with his child and it wouldn't be a secret.

Archived