Angel Eyes

Of all the Targaryen names...

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think it’s likely a show-only decision as Aegon is an established Targaryen name and there hasn’t been a character called Aegon appear in the show. It could also be a hint that his arc is somewhat combined with Book Aegon? But I’m not sure how likely this is.

Personally I think Jon being called Aemon is the biggest possibility. Those who think he would’ve been a Viserys because Rhaegar was going for a Rhaenys/Aegon/Visenya vibe with his children fail to remember that Visenya was the elder sister, not Rhaenys. Additionally, we see numerous examples of Aegons having Aemon younger brothers; the first two sons of King Jaehaerys I and Queen Alysanne; the first two sons of King Viserys I and Queen Alicent; the two sons of King Viserys II and Lady Larra; the third and fourth sons of King Maekar I and Lady Dyanna. I certainly think this is hinting something, and would make Jon’s thought of, “I’m not Aemon Targaryen” deliciously ironic. 

Edited by Jaehaerys Tyrell

The most commonly used Targaryan name is Aegon, it kinda gives Jon more prominence to be named so. It might also be that Rhaeger thought that his child with Lyanna is TPTWP instead of Elia's, like what he had previously thought, so he had to name him with the same name.

There is always a chance of Aegon the old and Aegon the young. Viserys kinda runs into the same problem as Aegon to a lesser degree.

Posted (edited)

They also mentioned "Doran Martell's youngest son" in season 2, and see how that turned out... and this wouldn't have been difficult to accomplish either. And they had Varys act against Daenerys in the early seasons... And early official Tyrell family trees showed Willas and Garlan. So them expecting everyone to forget about Baby Aegon is not unthinkable.
I can see it partially due to them having cut Faegon. Similarly to how they called Hodor "Willas" and Ramsays top bitch "Myranda".

Edited by Orphalesion