What Are Your Favorite Fantasy Films ?

GAROVORKIN

Most of the films I'd mention have already been mentioned several times here, so I'll go with one that hasn't...

A few people brought up Hellboy, so I'll nominate the sequel, The Golden Army, which felt like a mix of the first film and Pan's Labyrinth, another fantastic fantasy/horror film (from the same director, Pappy McPoyle).  I thought it was generally better than the first film despite being a worse adaptation of the source material.  I'd certainly be far more likely to rewatch the sequel.  Just a lot of fun and some great visuals to boot.

A shame del Toro never got to take a third crack at Hellboy.  He was perfect for it.

Just now, briantw said:

Most of the films I'd mention have already been mentioned several times here, so I'll go with one that hasn't...

A few people brought up Hellboy, so I'll nominate the sequel, The Golden Army, which felt like a mix of the first film and Pan's Labyrinth, another fantastic fantasy/horror film (from the same director, Pappy McPoyle).  I thought it was generally better than the first film despite being a worse adaptation of the source material.  I'd certainly be far more likely to rewatch the sequel.  Just a lot of fun and some great visuals to boot.

A shame del Toro never got to take a third crack at Hellboy.  He was perfect for it.

I wish we had gotten a third film.

There have been one or two animated Hellboy films .

14 hours ago, briantw said:

I love the two Hellboy films of del Toro. He has the best touch with fantasy these days.

I like Mimic , tho I think there del Toro sort of was more 'family friendly' since this was his first 'Hollywood' film.

Was only disappointed in the recent Crimson Peak.

I like Pacific Rim but I am not interested in another rejiggered 'anime' story from him , don't plan to see Pacific Rim II.

The Shape of Water looks good , I hope he comes through on this one.

Maybe it should be noted that del Toro was set to direct the Hobbit movies (when there were two!) but had to leave when production was severely delayed. He did co-write all the films.

1 hour ago, boojam said:

I like Pacific Rim but I am not interested in another rejiggered 'anime' story from him , don't plan to see Pacific Rim II.

He's not doing Pacific Rim II anyway.

I can't believe how blatantly The Shape of You is getting away with being an Abe Sapien film without being an Abe Sapien film. It seems utterly shameless.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

He's not doing Pacific Rim II anyway.

I can't believe how blatantly The Shape of You is getting away with being an Abe Sapien film without being an Abe Sapien film. It seems utterly shameless.

That's right , tho he is one of the producers. All the more reason for not seeing it.

Actually I have to say I only kind of liked Pacific Rim , some touches by del Toro made it more entertaining, would rather he had done something else. (Not Crimson Peak.)

On 11/12/2017 at 1:40 AM, Eggegg said:

Well obviously Lord of the Rings.. but that is too obvious. There are a few others, mainly that I loved growing up

- Legend ( Ridley Scott)
- Willow
- Labyrinth
- Dark Crystal
- Krull
- Beastmaster
- Conan the Barbarian
- Red Sonya
- Excalibur
- Never Ending story
I'm more than happy to admit that almost all of them except maybe Labyrinth are deeply flawed and possibly a bit shit. However they appeared at a time in my childhood where there were really no other outlets for fantasy, so I hoovered up anything that I could find. I guess the 90's pretty much killed these kind of movies as I can't recall many after that.. maybe that goddawful D&D movie.

Recently I guiltily enjoyed the Warcraft movie on some level.

Great list and Legend is genuinely a Fantastic movie. Depends which version you watch (I love them both) but the Goldsmith score and UK cut is absolutely BRILLIANT fantasy. 

I have nothing but love for Legend

80's fantasy movies are just the best and my favourites 

Labyrinth, Legend, Neverending Story, Princess Bride, Dark Crystal, Willow, Ladyhawke 

And then of course Pan's Labyrinth

I LOVE Stardust, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Cat Returns, (basically all Ghibli) and gonna reiterate everyone mentioning Hellboy 

LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE one of my favourite movies, Company of Wolves (fairy tale horror) ahhhhhh I LOVE THIS TOPIC and I posted a similar one to a movie group a few months back which garnered some good discussion but I left the group because of drama and it's closed  (facebook) so don't know if I can access it again

Anyway 

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, 

Wings of Desire, Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Juliet of the Spirits 

44 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I haven't seen this but the title reminds me of Brotherhood of the Wolf (though it's unlikely that it'l bee anything like Company of Wolves in anything but title). That film was good.

Company of Wolves is an adaptation of the Angela Carter short story which is part of her fairy tales collection ; The Bloody Chamber

Cracking stuff 

Surprise you havent said beasts of the southern wild!!! (Unless you did lol I think I missed a page in my excitement)

57 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I haven't seen this but the title reminds me of Brotherhood of the Wolf (though it's unlikely that it'l bee anything like Company of Wolves in anything but title). That film was good.

I really enjoyed Brotherhood of the Wolf.  The mystery of the Beast of Gevaudan is very interesting.

Your mention of this reminded me of Jeunet et Caro's The City of Lost Children, another film I thoroughly enjoyed, although complete different. A bit steampunk and not traditional sword and sorcery fantasy.

I forgot to mention Clash of the Titans, the 1981 version with Harry Hamlin. Cheesy, with horribly dated special effects, but I still love it.

56 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I really enjoyed Brotherhood of the Wolf.  The mystery of the Beast of Gevaudan is very interesting.

I do really like Brotherhood of the Wolf, although it's probably more historical fiction with a bit of weirdness than a fantasy film.

On 17-11-2017 at 2:38 AM, Leofric said:

Dragonslayer is definitely on my list of top fantasy movies and Vermithrax Pejorative is one of the best dragons in movies. 

Others on my list:

The Princess Bride

Willow

Conan the Barbarian

Shrek

The 13th Warrior

Highlander

Ladyhawke

Stardust

There it is, 13th Warrrior, another film that greatly appeals to me.

I'll second Highlander as well. Then again who doesn't like Highlander, it need not be seconded. Kurgan and Vader might be the best movie villains.

23 hours ago, briantw said:

There is another Hellboy film coming out next year, but not by Del Toro. New lead actor as well.

Anyway, I agree , second film is way better than the first, largely due to the Elven Prince. I also really liked the scene with the gargantuan tree creature that emerges from a magical bean :)

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

You know, I remember seeing that one in the theater and liking it but feeling like I heard no one else talk about it good or bad and have virtually never heard of it since...like never on TV or anything.  What's the deal with that?

I don't know. I love that film, it's definitely my favorite take on Arthurian Legend. Mads Mikkelsen is brilliant in it, and so many of the characters and setpieces work for me, as does the whole atmosphere in that film. It is sooooo much better than this year's Guy Ritchie film. But that said, it also seems to be a film that not that many are fond of. 

Tristan and Isolde is another such film from that period that few people seem to know. I liked that a lot  as well, though not as much as King Arthur ( r-rated, I believe).

15 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I do really like Brotherhood of the Wolf, although it's probably more historical fiction with a bit of weirdness than a fantasy film.

Let me third the recommendation of Brotherhood of the Wolf. I would not think of it as a Fantasy film  but I'll take any chance I can to point out to people that this a great film to watch. This film just kicks ass.

Archived