What Are Your Favorite Fantasy Films ?

GAROVORKIN

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

80's fantasy movies are just the best and my favourites 

Labyrinth, Legend, Neverending Story, Princess Bride, Dark Crystal, Willow, Ladyhawke 

And then of course Pan's Labyrinth

I LOVE Stardust, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Cat Returns, (basically all Ghibli) and gonna reiterate everyone mentioning Hellboy 

Princes Bride is so unique, nothing else quite like it.

I thought The Dark Crystal had some great imagery but was not taken by the story.

Ladyhawke is a great story, but the movie is ruined by a godawful , insane, music sound track.

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE one of my favourite movies, Company of Wolves (fairy tale horror) ahhhhhh I LOVE THIS TOPIC and I posted a similar one to a movie group a few months back which garnered some good discussion but I left the group because of drama and it's closed  (facebook) so don't know if I can access it again

Cocteau's  LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE  is the best Beauty and the Beast, totally extraordinary and absolutely Non-Disney.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I don't know. I love that film, it's definitely my favorite take on Arthurian Legend. Mads Mikkelsen is brilliant in it, and so many of the characters and setpieces work for me, as does the whole atmosphere in that film. It is sooooo much better than this year's Guy Ritchie film. But that said, it also seems to be a film that not that many are fond of. 

I liked it. Hell of a cast. I’m not sure about the timeline, but I wonder if that movie helped get Ray Stevenson the role of Pullo on Rome? 

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Great list and Legend is genuinely a Fantastic movie. Depends which version you watch (I love them both) but the Goldsmith score and UK cut is absolutely BRILLIANT fantasy. 

I have nothing but love for Legend

Somehow I've never actually seen Legend. But the Goldsmith score is a transcendent masterwork. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I didn't, but I totally should have.

Well there ya go :P

4 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Howls Moving Castle    An absolutely extraordinary  animated fantasy film  by Hayao Miyazaki.  B)

Yep. I didnt wanna list all the Ghibli's but they're all so wonderful.

5 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

Somehow I've never actually seen Legend. But the Goldsmith score is a transcendent masterwork. 

There' a version with a tangerine dream OST and one with goldsmith - the goldsmith film is the better one absolutely. It's a great fantasy film.

7 hours ago, boojam said:

Cocteau's  LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE  is the best Beauty and the Beast, totally extraordinary and absolutely Non-Disney.

One of my favourite films it's just gorgeous. 

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Oh, how is The Golden Compass?  I recently read the book for the first time, but I feel like I recall the film not being too well-received.

And is it mostly just the first book as opposed to the trilogy?

Film isn't great.

Love the books. 

6 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I can't believe I forgot about Clash of the Titans.  I spent a lot of time in my backyard recreating almost every scene in that movie.  I don't even care about the dated special effects I love it.

Ooh of course can't believe I forgot clash of the titans and Jason and the argonauts and sinbad.

7 hours ago, boojam said:

Princes Bride is so unique, nothing else quite like it.

I thought The Dark Crystal had some great imagery but was not taken by the story.

Ladyhawke is a great story, but the movie is ruined by a godawful , insane, music sound track.

I can agree with all these assessments.

15 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Let me third the recommendation of Brotherhood of the Wolf. I would not think of it as a Fantasy film  but I'll take any chance I can to point out to people that this a great film to watch. This film just kicks ass.

Yes! I totally forgot this movie existed! I haven't seen it in like 10 years and wonder if it still holds up? I gotta find this ASAP.

The Fall is a good one that should fall under fantasy. I have to rewatch this one too but remember enjoying it. 

2 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Oh my gawd, Theda, Sindbad and the eye of the tiger was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.  Can't believe I forgot that.  Another one that I will still watch and love today even with it's janky special effects.

Boy just about any  Ray Harryhausen film, some are not always so great but that's usually not his fault. 

Compare the perky Jason and the Argonauts with his last Clash of the Titans , VFX are great but the story is ponderous. Compare the first film's jaunty Olympus to the mechanical crawl of the 2nd film. The cast playing the gods was matchless , they deserved a much better staging , I don't know why the film made it as dull as dirt.

It's not something I've rewatched as an adult, but when I was a child I loved the animated Flight of the Dragons film.

10 hours ago, Triskele said:

Oh, how is The Golden Compass?  I recently read the book for the first time, but I feel like I recall the film not being too well-received.

They were planning to do a film trilogy but the mediocre box office prevented any sequels. The film does have some good points, I think they did an excellent job of portraying the daemons (and the bears), and it had a good cast. However, overall it was a bit disappointing, it felt as if they were trying to cram in too many plot points into the running time and it lost its way in the second half. They also cut the last scene from the story which means it ends on a completely different note to the book.

I think the BBC are still planning a TV adaptation which should hopefully do the full story and do it better.

8 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Mirrormask anyone? I only watched it once but it seemed interesting

I don't remember it all that well now, but I remember enjoying it.

On 17. 11. 2017 at 3:01 PM, Eggegg said:

Actually looking at the wiki page it lists a number of fantasy movies that I wouldn't tend to put in there, like Toy Story or Groundhog Day. But it does show the lack of decent options in the 90s compared to the 80's. I think LOTR really sparked a revival in the 2000's, but still they always seemed to be mostly cheap knock-offs of what made LOTR so great. Just look at the Narnia movies which are as flat and uninteresting as you can imagine and are almost entirely forgotten.

I see the Narnian movies need some defence here. I really like Prince Caspian still. I wish there were more of them (Magician's Nephew!).

10 hours ago, Triskele said:

I remember being very disappointed with it. It is really just the first book, and it is quite different from the book too.

21 minutes ago, williamjm said:

They were planning to do a film trilogy but the mediocre box office prevented any sequels.

They actually got a really good box office abroad but the silly bastards at New Line sold all the foreign rights for a relatively small lump sum in advance and therefore saw a grand total of none of those takings. A move which killed them as an independent entity.

6 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I see the Narnian movies need some defence here. I really like Prince Caspian still. I wish there were more of them (Magician's Nephew!).

I remember reading that there's now a plan to do The Silver Chair.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

They actually got a really good box office abroad but the silly bastards at New Line sold all the foreign rights for a relatively small lump sum in advance and therefore saw a grand total of none of those takings. A move which killed them as an independent entity.

That does sound familiar. I think there were also some problems with church groups advocating boycotts in the US because it was anti-religious, although I don't know if there's any evidence about how effective that was.

I agree with numerous posters that have mentioned "Pans Labyrinth" its a fantastic movie.

Also enjoyed "Sucker Punch".

The last 3 "Batman's.

A newer one i'll add that I havent noticed mentioned. would be a pretty entertaining movie I saw tonight on HBO, "The Great Wall". I would recommend this one if anyone hasnt seen it yet.

11 hours ago, williamjm said:

I remember reading that there's now a plan to do The Silver Chair.

Oh right. It has been so long since I read anything about it that I assumed the plan was cancelled. Eh, The Silver Chair is the least interesting book.

Archived