What Are Your Favorite Fantasy Films ?

GAROVORKIN

16 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

A newer one i'll add that I havent noticed mentioned. would be a pretty entertaining movie I saw tonight on HBO, "The Great Wall". I would recommend this one if anyone hasnt seen it yet.

The one with Matt Damon? This is sarcasm right?

On November 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

The one with Matt Damon? This is sarcasm right?

Also has the Red Viper from Thrones and this Director:

Zhang Yimou is a Chinese film director, producer, writer and actor, and former cinematographer. He is counted amongst the Fifth Generation of Chinese filmmakers, having made his directorial debut in 1987 with Red Sorghum.Wikipedia

^^^ Who Directed some of my favorite Chinese films ever, like "Raise the Red Lantern" and "To Live", which both starred Gong Li and are 2 amazing classic films. Yimou is the real deal, so no, not sarcasm. I enjoyed "The Great Wall" quite a bit, even with the seemingly miscast  Matt Damon and Pedro P.

The original Conan the Barbarian is like a second father to me. That is a criminally underrated movie, especially its score. 

Honourable mentions go to:

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring/The Two Towers

Excalibur

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Sword of the Stranger

Conan the Destroyer

Red Sonya

The Labyrinth

Pan's (other) Labyrinth

On 11/19/2017 at 1:21 PM, Fiddler said:

Oh my gawd, Theda, Sindbad and the eye of the tiger was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.  Can't believe I forgot that.  Another one that I will still watch and love today even with it's janky special effects.

I love all those harryhausen stop motion films - great stuff :D

2 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Harryhausen's  films had better writing and were far more imaginative then many of todays special effects driven films.  And they are more fun to watch.B)

They had a lot of heart and care put into them. :)

2 hours ago, nathalie29109 said:

We aren' talking about THAT kind of fantasy...

4 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Harryhausen's  films had better writing and were far more imaginative then many of todays special effects driven films.  And they are more fun to watch.B)

The 'Haryhausen - part' of "Haryhausen" films, you do know that Haryhausen did not write or direct any of those movies? 

The only thing good about:

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) 
It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955) 
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) 
20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) 

Is the VFX by Harryhausen. (Some say Earth vs the Flying Saucers has a good story, not that I could ever tell!)

Not until Seventh Voyage of Sinbad did someone put a decent 'film' around Harryhausen.

The best film with Haryausen FX and a good story was Jason and the Argonauts. Films around that were had a lot of mediocre stories. Especially disappointing was Clash of the Titans, once again great Harryhausen FX but thudding ponderous narrative.

12 hours ago, boojam said:

The 'Haryhausen - part' of "Haryhausen" films, you do know that Haryhausen did not write or direct any of those movies? 

The only thing good about:

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) 
It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955) 
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) 
20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) 

Is the VFX by Harryhausen. (Some say Earth vs the Flying Saucers has a good story, not that I could ever tell!)

Not until Seventh Voyage of Sinbad did someone put a decent 'film' around Harryhausen.

The best film with Haryausen FX and a good story was Jason and the Argonauts. Films around that were had a lot of mediocre stories. Especially disappointing was Clash of the Titans, once again great Harryhausen FX but thudding ponderous narrative.

I know he wasn't a writer but even so , those  films of which he was involved  with are a damned sight better then a lot the crap they're doing now.  The 1981 Clash of the Titans film  is far better and far more imaginative and enjoyable then the Sam Worthington lead remake .  

You might want to add this film to you List. The First Men in the Moon  1964 directed by Nathan Juran, Haryhuasen did many of the creature effects  the ruling cast of Selenite inhabitants of the Moon.  and the giant Mooncalfs (Caterpillars).  He didn't do the writing but it benefited from an excellent script   by jan Read  and Nigel Kneale, the later famous for the Quatermass series.

4 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

I know he wasn't a writer but even so , those  films of which he was involved  with are a damned sight better then a lot the crap they're doing now.  The 1981 Clash of the Titans film  is far better and far more imaginative and enjoyable then the Sam Worthington lead remake .  

You might want to add this film to you List. The First Men in the Moon  1964 directed by Nathan Juran, Haryhuasen did the many of the creature effects  the ruling cast of Selenite inhabitants of the Moon.  and the giant Mooncalfs (Caterpillars).  He didn't do the writing but it benefited from an excellent script   by jan Read  and Nigel Kneale, the later famous for the Quatermass series.

Yeah should have noted First Men in the Moon, I think that is my second favorite 'Harryhousen' after Jason and the Argonauts. H G Well got pretty good adaptations War of the Worlds (1953) (a nifty smartly done 'modern setting' , a very crisp film compared to the  2005 version, I wish Spielberg had left that alone.) The 1960 Time Machine , even The Invisible Man and The Island of Doctor Moreau.

Nigel Kneale was a wonder of a screen writer , Quatermass and the Pit is a science fiction film gem.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I'll also nominate Tarsem Singh's stunning looking "Immortals".

Found it significantly better than the two Clash of the Titans films of the last years.

Its certainly a good looking movie, and better than Clash of the Titans (god I forgot about them), but like Singhs other movie (the fall), I felt like it was hugely style over substance. It barely has any level of plot or character, its script is basic and somewhat silly. But it does look great. His movies look like 2hour perfume commercials.

9 hours ago, Consigliere said:

The Neverending Story. I watched this as a kid and loved it but never attempted a rewatch for fear that it will simply not hold up. Other than that, LoTR gets my nod. Fantasy films don't really pique my interest so I'm quite limited in my experience.

Ive seen the Neverending Story a few times ,Its a great film . The sequel film wasn't bad. There was 3rd film which was horrendous.

Archived