Upcoming TV Series of 2018/2019 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

Another interesting one slated for summer 2018 on the Paramount network.It' called Yellowstone and it's a western starring Kevin Costner written and directed by Oscar-nominated Hell or High Water and Sicario screenwriter Taylor Sheridan.

Cast:
Kevin Costner, Josh Lucas, Wes Bentley, Kelly Reilly, Luke Grimes, Cole Hauser, Kelsey Asbille, Dave Annable, Danny Huston, Gil Birmingham, Jefferson White, Gretchen Mol, Jill Hennessey, Patrick St. Esprit, Ian Bohen, and Denim Richards.

Ancalagon, you are a beast.  Please keep posting these threads, you put so many shows on my radar.

Just yesterday, I was watching Godless (and loving it ) and thinking that I probably would not have found it if not you had posted about it like six months ago :) .

Much thanks!

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Could this be their second success next to The Expanse?

Huh?  The Magicians has been more successful than The Expanse, and Killjoys has nearly the same number of viewers.  And based on the critical reception 12 Monkeys is right there too, it just hasn't pulled the same viewership as those other three.

On 02/12/2017 at 7:57 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Another interesting one slated for summer 2018 on the Paramount network.It' called Yellowstone and it's a western starring Kevin Costner written and directed by Oscar-nominated Hell or High Water and Sicario screenwriter Taylor Sheridan.

Costner and Taylor Sheridan working on a western. Sold, sold and sold. His recent film was the sleeper film of the year for me despite the title escaping me. Set in the cold with Jeremy renner

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Wind River 

Knew it was "something" River! I was on my phone with limited bandwidth so was at a loss. The film was far more memorable for me than the title it seems.

But I think Sheridan could do great things with a longer format. His style of writing suits a TV budget too - that of small time crime. I often think if there was one good thing "Sons of anarchy" did was inspire this guy to take his screenwriting seriously. He was pretty good as the deputy sheriff in the show and I recall when he wuit the show he justified it by saying it was a "now or never" decision. A pretty good decision in hindsight as that show nosedived by season 3.

I also agree with the sentiment that Ancalagon is my "google news" of genre tv shows. No idea how he seems to know of all this stuff before websites do but it's always appreciated.

The City & The City (BBC Two)  Intrigued to see how this will work

Maniac (Netflix) - probably worth it to see whether cary was the genius behind True detective S1 or whether it was one of those gestalt efforts

The Alienist (TNT/Netflix) - excellent cast and i like the time period

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Netflix) - six-part Western anthology from the Coen brothers. Western and coen brothers - I'd be a fool not to watch.

Counterpart (Starz). This passed me by! While it sounds similar ground to Fringe and Man in the high castle - Starz have impressed me with their genre efforts. Probably more a "wait until I hear some buzz on the forum and have a few episodes to watch.

True Detective (HBO/Season 3). For all intents and purposes a new show. The addition of David Milch is a good lure and those rumours of Rust Cohle maybe appearing are tantalising. Although it wouldn't be a new show them.

Britannia (Sky Atlantic/Amazon) - I was interested until I saw the most recent trailer. Now I'm not bothered.

Troy: Fall of a City (BBC One/Netflix). This could be good and BBC are often good with miniseries.

The Passage (FOX). Where did this come from? I'm finishing the final book at the moment and last I heard it was being developed as a film. I think TV will allow a more faithful adaptation. Although if it's a "Fox" show I'm skeptical. An FX show could be just what the show needs and may be karmic balance for them doing that awful "the strain". I guess we have to take Fox productions with a pinch of salt with them potentially selling off to Disney or whoever offers them the most cash. I could see a lot of in development shows disappearing if such a sell-off occurs.

Lost in Space (Netflix). HArd to imagine it as anything other than camp which is fine. Toby Stephens is selling this just off his performance in "Black Sails" for me.

Too Old To Die Young (Amazon) This could be amazing or it could be an absolute trainwreck. Brubaker has an excellent track record in comics (and did a good job on Westworld) and Refn is a great director but I think you can get away with "art" over "story" much more easily in a film than in a long TV show (hence my frustration with season 2 of "Mr Robot"). But hopefully Brubaker can reign in some of Refn's excesses.

Castle Rock (Hulu) Hopefully this will achieve what the "Dark Tower" utterly failed to.

The Romanoffs (Amazon) I'd much rather it be about the actual Romanovs!

Trust (FX) the plot doesn't grab me put the writer/director team does.

Escape at Dannemora (Showtime) Not really that struck by it from the team/story.

Snowpiercer (TNT) Jennifer Connelly is in it :)

Hard Sun (BBC One/Hulu/ZDF)  Again it's a BBC show so usually trustworthy with short seasons and pre-apocalyptic sounds curious.

I agree with others saying Altered Carbon and Watership Down are two properties I'm really looking forward to assuming they are faithful to the books. Although I was worried when Netflix said they aren't aim to scar a new generation of kids at easter.

My own addition to the list would be "The Forgiving Earth" by hugo Blick about war crime prosecutions. Blicks made some excellent shows with the BBC. It seems that BBC and Netflix are pretty tight these days.

After really enjoying "Dark" on Netflix - I'll be keeping a much closer eye out for any non english speaking country productions coming out over the year.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

After really enjoying "Dark" on Netflix - I'll be keeping a much closer eye out for any non english speaking country productions coming out over the year.

Have you watched Jordskott? it's pretty great imho,a mix of nordic mystery/fantasy/myth.Season 2 is airing on ITV Encore at present.Shudder in the US and Canada.

On 6-12-2017 at 8:46 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Huh?  The Magicians has been more successful than The Expanse, and Killjoys has nearly the same number of viewers.  And based on the critical reception 12 Monkeys is right there too, it just hasn't pulled the same viewership as those other three.

What I meant was critical success, and admittedly I assumed that because I think Killjoys and Magicians are woeful, that they were not critical successes.

• 4 weeks later...

A show i did not hear about before, but one which piqued my interest as it's a sequel to the 1992 film Romper Stomper (Russell Crowe in an excellent role!) and is set 25 years after the events in the film.

Romper Stomper is an Australian television series that was released on video streaming service Stan on 1 January 2018. International broadcast rights for the series covering Asia, parts of Europe, Latin America and northern Africa were sold to SundanceTV Global.

The Killing Times Frankly Bursting-At-The-Seams, Weighed-Down-With-Mince-Pies 2018 Crime Drama Preview

Some really interesting shows in the list above.

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Season 2 teaser.Out on March 30th

The End of the F**king World | Netflix

TEOTFW (referred to as The End Of The F***ing World in UK advertisements and TV listings) is a dark comedy drama television series. The show is based on the comic series The End Of The Fucking World by Charles S. Forsman. The eight part series premiered on Channel 4 and All 4 in the United Kingdom on 24 October 2017. The series will be available as a Netflix Original internationally on January 5, 2018

Cast:
James (Alex Lawther – Black Mirror, The Imitation Game)
Alyssa (Jessica Barden – The Lobster, Ellen, Penny Dreadful)
Wunmi Mosaku (Damilola Our Loved Boy) and
Gemma Whelan (Game of Thrones, The Moorside).

On 09/12/2017 at 6:54 PM, Calibandar said:

What I meant was critical success, and admittedly I assumed that because I think Killjoys and Magicians are woeful, that they were not critical successes.

The Magicians is quite comfortably the worst scripted television show on air at the moment, absolutely bar none. It makes Shannara look like a work of rare and subtle genius in comparison.

In addition, in the US it may get higher ratings than The Expanse but worldwide The Magicians airs in a fragmented fashion on local channels whilst The Expanse is locked on Netflix. Worldwide, The Expanse is comfortably a much bigger success story (thank fuck).

Den of Geek has a good run-down on some of the stuff coming out in 2018.

War of the Worlds will almost certainly be a 2019 release. Good Omens could sneak it out in late 2018 (they're wrapping up shooting now). Hard Sun starts this Saturday.

World on Fire looks really good if they can pull it off. It tells the story of WWII with each season telling a story of the year of the war, so Season 1 opens with the invasion of Poland and ends with the Battle of Britain. They only just greenlit that so that's unlikely to appear this year.

Weird that we're on an ASOAIF forum, yet nobody is mentioning the upcoming Nightflyers adaptation on SyFy as something they're excited about? Are you not having big expectations, or has this been so low profile that even George R.R.Martin fans are unaware/forgetting about it?

To be fair, there's very little info so far, except that it's airing in 2018, and that Jodie Turner-Smith has been cast in the lead role of Melantha Jhirl. I'm not even surprised that George was excited just because they have not whitewashed the character as they had in the 1980s, twice (in book cover and in the movie) and even contacted the production team (even though he's not involved due to his deal with HBO) to make sure it wouldn't happen again. http://www.georgerrmartin.com/nightflyers-casting-done-right/

What's funny is that they still haven't actually cast an actress who matches the description from the story. She's clearly supposed to have more of a Serena Williams body type, while Jodie Turner-Smith is very thin, as Hollywood likes actresses to be

I'm certainly interested and hope it's good, but I suspect the fact that it's something that has no visuals attached to it (besides the concept art George shared) keeps people from thinking too much about it.

Besides that, the creative crew -- who do not include GRRM, as he notes -- are not people that inspire great enthusiasm based solely on track-records. They're pros, but as with most pros, they are involved in hits and in misses both. Finally, for my part, my chief apprehension is how you turn a slim novella into an on-going series. So few shows manage to stretch their source premise very well -- the Netflix House of Cards is notably inferior to the original in large part due its decompression of the original's story and then its extension through to its own new material; I find Amazon's The Man in the High Castle unbearably padded out in relation to Dick's short, famous novel -- so I admit that's the main thing tamping down my enthusiasm. OTOH, if they somehow extend the story to be able to explore the Thousand Worlds setting, that may be something.

So, we'll see.

Archived