Upcoming TV Series of 2018/2019 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'm certainly interested and hope it's good, but I suspect the fact that it's something that has no visuals attached to it (besides the concept art George shared) keeps people from thinking too much about it.

Besides that, the creative crew -- who do not include GRRM, as he notes -- are not people that inspire great enthusiasm based solely on track-records. They're pros, but as with most pros, they are involved in hits and in misses both. Finally, for my part, my chief apprehension is how you turn a slim novella into an on-going series. So few shows manage to stretch their source premise very well -- the Netflix House of Cards is notably inferior to the original in large part due its decompression of the original's story and then its extension through to its own new material; I find Amazon's The Man in the High Castle unbearably padded out in relation to Dick's short, famous novel -- so I admit that's the main thing tamping down my enthusiasm. OTOH, if they somehow extend the story to be able to explore the Thousand Worlds setting, that may be something.

So, we'll see.

I'm not saying that people should think it's going to be great - I have no idea what it's going to be like, with so little info - but I'd expect a bit more talk about it on this forum.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm not saying that people should think it's going to be great - I have no idea what it's going to be like, with so little info - but I'd expect a bit more talk about it on this forum.

Yes, but a corollary as to what I was saying is that there's practically nothing to actually talk about. One bit of concept art and one casting announcement (of a fairly unknown actress) is too little to go on. :(

I think once there's more casting and more of a sense of how they're making a series out of it, we'll definitely see more talk.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:07 PM, Ran said:

Yes, but a corollary as to what I was saying is that there's practically nothing to actually talk about. One bit of concept art and one casting announcement (of a fairly unknown actress) is too little to go on. :(

I think once there's more casting and more of a sense of how they're making a series out of it, we'll definitely see more talk.

Well, the casting news are here now: https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/01/nightflyers-gretchen-mol-to-star-in.html

I have lots of thoughts... and very mixed feelings. Most of them in the vein of "sigh. Well, that was expected, I guess". Though a least a couple of castings seem spot-on.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:07 AM, Ran said:

The cast as been announced :

Syfy has officially ordered its planned adaptation of “Game of Thrones” author George R.R. Martin’s novella “Nightflyers” to series and revealed the key cast.

The show will star Gretchen Mol is set to star as Dr. Agatha Matheson, alongside Eoin Macken as Karl D’Branin, David Ajala as Roy Eris, Sam Strike as Thale, Maya Eshet as Lommie, Angus Sampson as Rowan, Jodie Turner-Smith as Melantha Jhirl, and Brían F. O’Byrne as Auggie.

edit : Yup 30 min too late lol

Very interesting. Love Gretchen Mol, so excited by that. Not fond of the name changes -- Karoly becomes the much more boring Karl, Royd becomes Roy... oh well. Wonder who these various named characters represent.

Seven characters, not counting Royd, means they're dropping two of the characters, I suppose? Or haven't yet cast them. 

ETA: Oh, wait, they explicitly name 8 scientists and a telepath. So that's nine. Guess they aren't ready to announce all the casting.

24 minutes ago, Ran said:

Very interesting. Love Gretchen Mol, so excited by that. Not fond of the name changes -- Karoly becomes the much more boring Karl, Royd becomes Roy... oh well. Wonder who these various named characters represent.

Seven characters, not counting Royd, means they're dropping two of the characters, I suppose? Or haven't yet cast them. 

ETA: Oh, wait, they explicitly name 8 scientists and a telepath. So that's nine. Guess they aren't ready to announce all the casting.

It looks like bickering couple of linguists aren't included in the roles they already announced. Most of the name changes are pretty obvious - Roy is Royd, Karl is Karoly, Rowan is Rojan Christopheris, Agatha's last name has also been changed, Lommie and Thale retains their first names (and after googling them, the actors look spot on). The only weird one is "Auggie" - and it seems that they've turned Alys Northwind into a man, unfortunately.
Which is one changes that make me roll my eyes but that's not unexpected, just confirming that apparently a 1980 novella is still too unconventional in its characterizations and gender roles for a 2018 SyFy adaptation.

Of course they change the names into modern English names (because humans thousands of years into the future are all going to have those kind of names, clearly). Of course they cast a hot 30-something as Karoly/Karl, who's supposed to be an older guy. The novella is notably lacking in classic hot young male heroes - Roy(d) is definitely not that, and the 3 supporting male characters even less so, so Karoly was the obvious one to fix that way. And they take a look at Alys - the xenotech/engineer who's described as someone who only eats and works with machines and never bathes or takes off her overalls, except for sex, "and even then only briefly" - and decide "we can't have a woman like that, let's turn her into a guy".

They did cast a black actress for Melantha, who is black in the novella (and it's sad that George wasn't even sure that was going to happen and contacted them to make sure if that's what they're doing, after she was whitewashed twice in the 1980s), though her body type doesn't match the description (tall, large-breasted, muscular), because Hollywood can only cast very thin women in roles of women who are main characters and supposed to be desirable and attractive. Small victories, I guess. They've also cast a black actor as Roy(d) - but now I'm worried that they'll enlarge Karl's and Agatha's roles at their expense, because those two are played by well-known white actors rather than lesser known black actors.

Huh. This makes me realize I have not read the extended "Nightflyers" with the characters given names. The version(s) I read were the earlier where everyone was just their title, besides Melantha, Royd, and Karoly.

ETA: Or... wait, no, I ended up looking at my old anthology and not Dreamsongs which has the version with all the names. Okay. Anyways, carry on! Will re-read it to refresh my memory.

On 11/13/2017 at 5:35 PM, Mark Antony said:

Gomorra season three for sure. Starts this month in Italy but I’m sure I won’t be able to watch it in the states till 2018.

Glad I stumbled upon this thread - there are so many shows I’ve never heard of. If you’re recommending it I will definitely check it out. 

On 12/6/2017 at 9:24 AM, Calibandar said:

The Nightflyers show by SyFy, based on Martin's novella, is getting its first season and GRRM says it debuts in July 2018.

https://grrm.livejournal.com/555986.html

Could this be their second success next to The Expanse?

Just saw a blurb about Nightflyers on Facebook today. Im hoping it’s good. 

The expanse is now on my list as well. 

Saw the trailer for Westworld season two today - it looks good! 

The one show I’m not entirely looking forward to is TWD when it’s back on :( I may be giving up on that one. 

MISS SHERLOCK (HD) HBO Asia Original Series, premieres on HBO across 20 countries in April 2018.

MOSAIC (HD) Steven Soderbergh HBO Series.The five-night limited series premieres January 22, on HBO

Patrick Melrose || Benedict Cumberbatch SHOWTIME/Sky Atlantic Series

Our Cartoon President | Stephen Colbert SHOWTIME Series

FAHRENHEIT 451 Official Teaser Trailer (2018) HBO Series

McMAFIA (AMC) .What does it take to corrupt you? Get a first look at AMC’s new global crime thriller, premiering February 26.

HARD SUN Official Teaser Trailer (HD) Hulu Crime Series.Two detectives with opposing viewpoints are forced to work together in a pre-apocalyptic criminal world.Coming March 7.

THE OATH Official Trailer #2 (HD) Sean Bean Crackle Series

This gritty drama series starring Sean Bean (Game of Thrones) and Ryan Kwanten (True Blood), and executive produced by Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, explores a strange breed of criminal gang—one made up of the very men and women sworn to uphold the law. Streams March 8.

DIRTY MONEY Official Trailer (HD) Netflix True Crime Documentary Series

From the creators of Enron and Going Clear comes an all-new Netflix Original Documentary Series exposing the greed, corruption, and crime spreading through our global economy. Dirty Money, only on Netflix January 26.

KIRI - Hulu Drama Series,One child abducted. Two families torn apart. premieres April 4th on Hulu .Kiri is a four-part British television crime drama miniseries starring Sarah Lancashire. It began airing on Channel 4 on 10 January 2018.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:51 PM, Lady Olenna said:

Glad I stumbled upon this thread - there are so many shows I’ve never heard of. If you’re recommending it I will definitely check it out. . 

I do recommend it. First two seasons are on Netflix. It is pretty brutal at times just so you know going in. 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, Corvinus said:

No announcement yet. It will be later than season 2, to avoid competing for air time with the Winter Olympics.

11 hours ago, Pecan said:

Oh yes, those darn Olympics. Oh well. 

Season 3 filming wrapped in early December, so it will probably be a while still before the premiere on SyFy.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-expanse/262947/the-expanse-season-3-news

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Season 3 filming wrapped in early December, so it will probably be a while still before the premiere on SyFy.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-expanse/262947/the-expanse-season-3-news

And if last year is an indicator even longer until it’s on Netflix. I just hope it is actually 2018 and not 2019 before the U.K. get it!

Archived