Upcoming TV Series of 2018/2019 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

On 2/23/2018 at 2:11 PM, SpaceChampion said:

http://deadline.com/2018/02/culture-book-series-consider-phlebas-tv-series-adaptation-amazon-by-plan-b-dennis-kelly-1202297416/

I don't know if anyone listed all the projects Amazon is doing, but this article lists some sf/f ones, including:

1. The Lord of the Rings
  2. Consider Phlebas / The Culture
  3. The Wheel of Time
  4. The Dark Tower
  5. Ringworld
  6. Snowcrash

That's the first mention I've seen of Snow Crash. I suspect, given the success of Altered Carbon, that Snow Crash might get prioritized, as I doubt all of these titles will go to full production. If I'm not mistaken, this would be the first adaptation of a Neal Stephenson novel. Here's hoping Cryptonomicon is next on the list! 

Haven't seen any mention of the Finnish show Bordertown, which released on Netflix last spring. I believe season 2 filmed over the summer, so we could see it in April or May of this year. 

Below the Surface: Trailer - BBC Four

The hijacking of a subway train in Copenhagen sets in motion a chain of events that unfold across eight days, with the whole of Denmark in thrall to the hijackers' next moves and the fate of the 15 people they hold captive.

A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS Season 2 Trailer #3

RELLIK Official Trailer (HD) Cinemax Suspense Series

15 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

The trailers for Krypton look abysmal. 

I'm staying away from it (after it's on for a while if I hear glowing reviews I'll reconsider).

Dafne Keen (Laura/X23) from Logan has been cast to play Lyra in the BBC's series version of His Dark Materials

Something I was apathetic towards now has raised my interest with Keen's casting. I want to see what she can do with the role and if she really is that talented and enchanting of an actress or if Logan was just a fluke with the aid of good story, good directing, and excellent co-stars.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/his-dark-materials/news/a850153/his-dark-materials-bbc-tv-series-trilogy-filming/

His Dark Materials is planned as a five-series, 40-episode juggernaut, with its first series based on Pullman's first instalment of the trilogy, Northern Lights.

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I'm staying away from it (after it's on for a while if I hear glowing reviews I'll reconsider).

I will say this for it, the visuals are stunning (film quality for television), but everything else looks like crap.

On 21/03/2018 at 3:49 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

The trailers for Krypton look abysmal. 

some of the reviews for the pilot episode were quite positive and consensus seems to be that this is more Game of Thrones (in terms of various houses fighting one another) than superman. Those who've seen the first few episodes say it also moves at a refreshingly brisk pace.

That said, it's going to have to receive crazy positive reviews for me to tune in. I'm talking "westworld" kind of buzz. There's just too much stuff to watch.

That's the first mention I've seen of Snow Crash. I suspect, given the success of Altered Carbon, that Snow Crash might get prioritized, as I doubt all of these titles will go to full production. If I'm not mistaken, this would be the first adaptation of a Neal Stephenson novel. Here's hoping Cryptonomicon is next on the list! 

Altered Carbon was not a massive success. It got a relatively low number of streamings and Netflix have not yet renewed it (despite "amberlighting" preliminary work on a second season a while ago). However, Netflix apparently did it to themselves because it launched just after they stole its thunder with the Cloverfield Paradox thing, and that cannibalised the audience. As far as I can tell from industry insiders, it's maybe 60-40 if it will be renewed, and if so it may be with the requirement of a budget cut.

Think i'll give the Troy from the Spartan perspective a view, its now on Netflix in this region.

Billions next season set to begin any day on Showtime.

Still eagerly awaiting the 2 Westerns, I see Yellowstone to go in Summer, but have heard no date for The Ballad of Buster S.....?

Collateral is interesting, its now available here on Netflix, im half thru the mini series.

On 25/03/2018 at 3:02 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Think i'll give the Troy from the Spartan perspective a view, its now on Netflix in this region.

It's mainly from the Trojan perspective unless you include Helen as spartan. The spartans/greek collective are largely acting as the antagonists in this version. It's ok - not mindblowing but good enough to keep me on board.

Dangit. Was going to finally start Peaky Blinders after I finished Jessica Jones but Better Call Saul S3 is out on Netflix US now... And I never finished Manhunt: Unabomber. Priorities, priorities #firstworldproblems

42 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Troy: Fall of a City isn't available in the US until April 6th, right?

Yeah April 6.

The Rain | Netflix SF Series

After a brutal virus wipes out most of the population, two young siblings embark on a perilous search for safety. The Rain, a Netflix original series. Coming May 4th.

IMPULSE Official Trailer (HD) Youtube Original Sci-Fi Series

First Look: BBC Two’s ‘King Lear’ Adaptation

BBC Two has released a first look image from their upcoming King Lear adaptation, which is set to premiere this Spring.a co-production with Amazon Studios, who retain U.S., German and second window UK rights.

King Lear is set in the present day and follows the eponymous ruler, presiding over a totalitarian military dictatorship in England. Sir Anthony Hopkins stars in the title role. Rounding out the cast is Emma Thompson, Emily Watson Florence Pugh, Jim Broadbent, Andrew Scott, John Macmillan, Jim Carter, Christopher Eccleston, Tobias Menzies, Anthony Calf and Karl Johnson.

BBC One Sets Premiere Date For ‘Ordeal By Innocence’

BBC One’s three-part Agatha Christie adaptation Ordeal By Innocence will premiere on Sunday April 1st at 9pm, it has been announced.

The drama, which is based on Christie’s 1958 novel, stars Bill Nighy, Catherine Keener, Matthew Goode, Eleanor Tomlinson, Anthony Boyle, Christian Cooke, Luke Treadaway, Morven Christie, Crystal Clarke, Ella Purnell and Alice Eve.

Stellan Skarsgård & Emily Watson To Star In Sky Atlantic’s ‘Chernobyl’

Stellan Skarsgård (River) and Emily Watson (A Song For Jenny) have been tapped to star in Chernobyl, Sky Atlantic’s five part miniseries which is set up as a co-production with U.S. premium cable network HBO.

Chernobyl tells the story of the unprecedented man-made tragedy, and the brave men and women who made incredible sacrifices to save Europe from unimaginable disaster in 1986. The project is the first to come from a $250 million co-production deal between Sky and HBO.

The miniseries is being penned by Craig Mackin and is set up at Sister Pictures and The Mighty Mint. Breaking Bad helmer Johan Renck is the director. Production gets underway in Lithuania this Spring for a late 2018 premiere.

Spielberg and Javier Bardem are to make a 4 episode miniseries about Spanish invader Cortes for Amazon. Doubt we'll see it before 2019 but it sounds really promising. Odd given Spielberg's recent comments on TV Vs cinema movies

On 25/03/2018 at 0:03 AM, Werthead said:

Altered Carbon was not a massive success. It got a relatively low number of streamings and Netflix have not yet renewed it (despite "amberlighting" preliminary work on a second season a while ago). However, Netflix apparently did it to themselves because it launched just after they stole its thunder with the Cloverfield Paradox thing, and that cannibalised the audience. As far as I can tell from industry insiders, it's maybe 60-40 if it will be renewed, and if so it may be with the requirement of a budget cut.

That's a shame. Although I guess for the money spent it should have not just looked great but have everything else operating to a similar level.

I know it's never a case of one in one out but I wouldn't hesitate in my choice of sense8 or altered carbon.

I guess the lesson is don't spend that kind of money on a show unless it's a tested franchise (lotr, star wars, potter). People (or studios) seem to forget that GOT had a tight budget for season 1 - it was only 3 onwards that escalated. That's how you need to approach if your goal is to make a multi season hit.

Altered Carbon could easily exist as a long movie at least. 

On 27-3-2018 at 8:30 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The Rain | Netflix SF Series

First Look: BBC Two’s ‘King Lear’ Adaptation

BBC Two has released a first look image from their upcoming King Lear adaptation, which is set to premiere this Spring.a co-production with Amazon Studios, who retain U.S., German and second window UK rights.

King Lear is set in the present day and follows the eponymous ruler, presiding over a totalitarian military dictatorship in England. Sir Anthony Hopkins stars in the title role. Rounding out the cast is Emma Thompson, Emily Watson Florence Pugh, Jim Broadbent, Andrew Scott, John Macmillan, Jim Carter, Christopher Eccleston, Tobias Menzies, Anthony Calf and Karl Johnson

That is quite the cast there for King Lear.

Archived