US politics: Alabama Jones and the Temple of Moore

IheartIheartTesla

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Agree with this. If Moore ends up winning, the Senate will at least vote to expel. Interesting scenario is what Fez laid out in response to my post, is whether Democrats abstain and force 2/3 of Republicans to remove him. 

Sorry for asking, where would be the benefit for Democrats for making it harder than necessary to expel someone who has has shown sexual predatory behavior towards underage girls?

I think those allegations are far too serious for Democrats to play games, and risk somehow getting (even indirectly) tied to this guy.

43 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

No way Sessions resigns as AG to go back to being an Alabama Senator. Right now he has the ability to directly influence outcomes in some of his pet issues like immigration and marijuana. As Senator he has much less ability to influence anything.

He won't jump into this race, but I suspect that he would in a following election if Moore is booted from the Senate or the election is voided. That kills two birds with one stone, and I've got to believe that being a Senator with a safe seat is far more desirable than being Trump's AG, even without the scandals. 

10 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

If Moore wins and the Senate votes to remove him, Democrats have to vote for removal.  It would look horrendous for Democrats to abstain on this type of vote.  They can't be bothered to vote out a pedophile?  The don't want to go on record to vote out a pedophile?  I don't think there is a good justification for abstaining on such a vote.

For Mudguard and Notone,

I'm not sure there would be a benefit which would accrue to Democrats by abstaining, and it would certainly be politically risky, but Democrats could try to thread the messaging needle of: "You created this monster, now you have to deal with him." 

If Democrats abstain and Republicans fail to remove Moore, and Democrats win the messaging battle (tall order, I know), then they can hang the Moore vote around the neck of every Republican incumbent up for election in the midterms.

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

For Mudguard and Notone,

I'm not sure there would be a benefit which would accrue to Democrats by abstaining, and it would certainly be politically risky, but Democrats could try to thread the messaging needle of: "You created this monster, now you have to deal with him." 

If Democrats abstain and Republicans fail to remove Moore, and Democrats win the messaging battle (tall order, I know), then they can hang the Moore vote around the neck of every Republican incumbent up for election in the midterms.

Alternately, they can get only 19 Republicans to vote to expel Moore and then hang the rest on the 'you chose to vote to keep a pedophile in the Senate'. That might be more damaging. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure it matters all that much if Senators condemn him. He can try to write it off as Washington big wigs trying to bully the people of AL into voting for an establishment candidate. The condemnation has to come from AL Republicans for it to really have an impact, and right now that isn't happening. 

Also, reporters who are polling people on the ground are saying a lot of Republican voters are still saying that Moore is better than Jones because Jones is pro-choice. 

It would definitely help if some Alabama Republicans abandoned Moore, and I think that might happen in the next couple of weeks.  If the reporting on Moore holds up for a week or so, which I'm very confident will be the case, I can see his support among Alabama Republicans begin to wane.  I can understand their unwillingness to immediately believe a story by the Washington Post, but if no one is able to poke holes in the story after a week, I think some of them will accept that the reporting was accurate.  Some of them appear not to care whether the allegations are true or false, but I don't think that's the position across the board.

As for the election, I'm not expecting that Republicans will vote for Jones, but if, say, 1 in 20 Republicans stays at home instead of voting, that might be enough for Jones to win.

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Alternately, they can get only 19 Republicans to vote to expel Moore and then hang the rest on the 'you chose to vote to keep a pedophile in the Senate'. That might be more damaging. 

If they can find 19 Republicans to expel Moore then the entire conference will vote to expel.him.

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

This is the more likely scenario, because I don't see Republicans keeping Moore in. If Dems abstain and Republicans remove Moore, then that gambit would have backfired. 

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He won't jump into this race, but I suspect that he would in a following election if Moore is booted from the Senate or the election is voided. That kills two birds with one stone, and I've got to believe that being a Senator with a safe seat is far more desirable than being Trump's AG, even without the scandals. 

I don't think so, and this article appears to bolster the idea of Sessions staying as AG. Sessions is where he wants to be and, more importantly, he knows that by resigning he will give Trump room to maneuver to fire Mueller. 

If Trump fires Mueller then all hell breaks loose, and Sessions comes under even closer scrutiny.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Only question now is, will any Republicans cross the previously-reserved-only-for-David-Duke-rubicon and endorse the Democrat?

So Jeff Flake is getting awfully close here...

Gadsden, AL residents say Moore's propensity for dating younger girls was an open secret.

He's toast. Really the only thing to do is wait on the polling. If Moore stays up in the polls, he stays on the ballot so a Republican can be appointed once he's kicked to the curb by the Senate. If he starts dropping, then it'll be a mad dash to get behind a write-in candidate.

I know this is a huge ask, but if anyone else was watching CNN the last few minutes and knew who the guy on the video call is I would greatly appreciate his name.

First political commentator I've seen appropriately refer to Putin as a Dictator, he's my new favorite person. I'm going to write in his name for president if I ever learn it. 

@Dr. Pepper Thanks for your words in the last thread. It's nice to know someone's out there getting a kick out of my antics. :) Sorry we never did that lunch. 

Moore was banned from a mall. Guess why.

He has just released the official statement that he doesn't know Beverly Young and never met her. That is pretty ballsy given the yearbook signature, and suddenly makes her whole claim a very black and white issue with the signature in the middle of it all.

I'd have to think that he's toast at this point.

13 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Moore was banned from a mall. Guess why.

He has just released the official statement that he doesn't know Beverly Young and never met her. That is pretty ballsy given the yearbook signature, and suddenly makes her whole claim a very black and white issue with the signature in the middle of it all.

I'd have to think that he's toast at this point.

From the link:

These people include five members of the local legal community, two cops who worked in the town, several people who hung out at the mall in the early eighties, and a number of former mall employees. 

If one of those cops interviewed is willing to go on the record, that may actually seal the deal (So long as they're white, it is Alabama after all).

In other news - Don Jr was in contact with Wikileaks openly for over a year, despite saying he hadn't been and no one in the campaign had been. 

https://shareblue.com/busted-don-jr-emailed-secret-plan-to-collude-with-wikileaks-to-entire-trump-campaign/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/13/16646310/donald-trump-jr-wikileaks-messages?utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

And on the mall thing, the "I should help run the country, says man not deemed mall material" had me laughing

https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/930218593169563648

26 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

In other news - Don Jr was in contact with Wikileaks openly for over a year, despite saying he hadn't been and no one in the campaign had been. 

https://shareblue.com/busted-don-jr-emailed-secret-plan-to-collude-with-wikileaks-to-entire-trump-campaign/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/13/16646310/donald-trump-jr-wikileaks-messages?utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

And on the mall thing, the "I should help run the country, says man not deemed mall material" had me laughing

https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/930218593169563648

And this tweet really puts things into perspective. I mean, shit, it's all right there, timestamped and gift-wrapped. I dunno what the official right-wing stance on cooperation with WikiLeaks is anymore, but this is pretty clear-cut and involves the Don himself.

Archived