US politics: Alabama Jones and the Temple of Moore

IheartIheartTesla

15 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

They couldn't get there with pushing back the corporate rate reduction to 2019?

Nope.  They were just squeaking under the line before markup started. And there are some wildly unpopular revenue raisers in this version too.  The reports showing that most middle class people see almost no tax cut here (it's almost all corporate) have not been good from a PR perspective.

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yeah. But on the flip side, Republicans know (or knew early this year at least), that needed to keep most of the savings from the mandate repeal in reserve for whatever weak subsidy system they would use to eventually replace Obamacare with. If they use those savings just to finance tax cuts, they're admitting that they will never "repeal&replace" Obamacare.

Well, yes.  And that's what their base wants.  This basically throws healthcare into a dumpster and lights it on fire.

2 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Nope.  They were just squeaking under the line before markup started. And there are some wildly unpopular revenue raisers in this version too.  The reports showing that most middle class people see almost no tax cut here (it's almost all corporate) have not been good from a PR perspective.

Wow. I haven't paid as much attention to the Senate's bill other than the rate reduction postponement and the complete SALT repeal. I'll have to take a closer look.

The tax bill will trigger an automatic annual 25 billion Medicare cut under PAYGO.

but don't worry I'm sure democrat leadership will pledge to make republicans passing this bill easier and more likely by cooperating on repeal of paygo. Because democrat leadership is useless.

2 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

The tax bill will trigger an automatic annual 25 billion Medicare cut under PAYGO.

but don't worry I'm sure democrat leadership will pledge to make republicans passing this bill easier and more likely by cooperating on repeal of paygo. Because democrat leadership is useless.

Just like they made it easy for Republicans to pass ACA repeal three times this year? I agree leadership is... milquetoast, to say the least, but I think you might be exaggerating here. 

18 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Actually the Senate Bill is less offensive in a lot of ways than the House Bill (except SALT thing) - less gaudily focused on benefits to wealthy cronies.  That said, it's all a matter of degree.  

Speaking of SALT, how do you think the two Chambers will reconcile this major difference in their proposed legislation? It sounds like both sides are worlds apart on this issue, and if the Senate gets it's way then blue state Republicans in the House are going to get slaughtered in the midterms. 

2 hours ago, WinterFox said:

I don't know who Ball is, but the only base Donnie's ever made it to was the Republican party. 

LaVar is a loud mouth clown who is the father of a rookie in the NBA and two more sons that might make it there too. He makes outrageous claims like he could beat Michael Jordan in a one on one game and that his son Lonzo is already better than Steph Curry. He's uses these types of claims as a marketing technique to draw attention to his shoe company. He's very similar to Trump. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of SALT, how do you think the two Chambers will reconcile this major difference in their proposed legislation? It sounds like both sides are worlds apart on this issue, and if the Senate gets it's way then blue state Republicans in the House are going to get slaughtered in the midterms. 

From what I read, the proposed individual mandate repeal would give them enough room to match the House's compromise on property tax deduction. So it would still be a partial (read: almost entire) repeal of SALT rather than a full repeal.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

7 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

From what I read, the proposed individual mandate repeal would give them enough room to match the House's compromise on property tax deduction. So it would still be a partial (read: almost entire) repeal of SALT rather than a full repeal.

I think they end up with something relatively more generous on SALT that phases out when you hit certain income levels.  

9 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Maybe, but then you risk throwing the insurance markets into a crisis. This is a really irresponsible way to govern, no matter how you slice it, and it's being done for the sole purpose of getting a political "victory." 

More on Moore...

This is what really worries about this guy. As a US Senator he could imprint protection for sexual harassers and/or abusers into our law code. He could easily torpedo attempts to increase protections of these type. All he'd have to do is use hardball tactics, which he is shown he will use at all times. Any one Senator can hold up anything.

Uh, yeah it’s pretty shady that the Tax Foundation doesn’t make it’s model publicly available. This might be like a Heritage Clowndation situation.

And it’s pretty shady they apparently don’t model international capital flows.

And even if things go down sort of the way the Tax Foundation says, its probably unlikely we’ll start seeing factories springing up in the rust belt. More likely the additional investment will to areas where we already have comparative advantage and are doing well.

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/tax-cuts-and-the-trade-deficit

It’s a sad commentary on the state of affairs in America that we need to spend time debunking the Tax Foundation “model” of the effects of GOP tax cuts. But that model, with its extremely optimistic take on the growth and revenue effects of corporate tax cuts, is reportedly playing an important role in Senate discussions. So let’s talk some more about a point I’ve been trying to make: if you believe the TF analysis, you also have to believe that the Senate bill would lead to enormous trade deficits — and massive loss of manufacturing jobs.

So let me say this clearly: if you believe the Tax Foundation analysis, you should also believe that the Senate bill would reduce manufacturing employment by around 2 1/2 million. Yes, jobs would be added in other sectors. But it’s not exactly what Trump has been promising, is it?

Just for the sake of argument, lets say the Tax Foundations model is a good one. It's like been Rush Limbaugh approved and everything, so you know it's a good one! So yes labor would shift to the other sectors, eventually. But, per David Autor's paper it would appear there is quite a bit of friction in labor market adjustments and it might take quite awhile.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Guys - they need the scoring room.  It had to come from somewhere and it wasn't coming from increasing the corporate rate to 25%.

I'm not sure how much this really helps.  Sure, the most recent score has repealing the mandate saving $338 billion over the next decade, but they're still gonna have to sunset at least some of the provisions to make it work under reconciliation.  The mandate repeal seems more a political gambit to get certain conservatives on board (like, say, those who have mending ribs) than an actual budgetary maneuver.

Regardless, it's stupid and more likely to create more problems than be the key to 50 votes. 

23 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Republicans can't afford their tax cut habit.

America needs to get rid of its current  Republican habit.

Like Bubba Smith says to Al Bundy, they both need to be dropped like third period french.

23 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Best Orange Swamp Thing ever!

Archived