US politics: Alabama Jones and the Temple of Moore

IheartIheartTesla

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s absurd to suggest that Franken has to resign over this. What he did was wrong, but on the sliding scale of bad behavior this seems to be on the minor end.

Seconded. This is crazy talk. This is akin to"lock her up" based on the bullshit deflections the GOP is making regarding Hillary. To equate this to what Moore is accused of is insane.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s absurd to suggest that Franken has to resign over this. What he did was wrong, but on the sliding scale of bad behavior this seems to be on the minor end.

One thing it does is it blows any future GOP excuse out of the water for not investigating Moore if he ends up getting elected.

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

One thing it does is it blows any future GOP excuse out of the water for not investigating Moore if he ends up getting elected.

Reality blows up GOP excuses every nanosecond. Doesn't stop them.

Again, do stuff if it is right and proper, not because it will leave you vulnerable to GOP criticism (they'll make up something to trash you anyway) or because you think it'll make them look hypocritical (in Republican brains, "hypocrisy" is an oath doctors take). 

Decadesof evidence that trickle down is bullshit hasn't stopped these motherfuckers from peddling it, do you think Al Franken resigning will somehow shame the Pussygrabber Party into acting right?

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

New Fox poll has Jones up by 8 pts over Moore.

But wheren't these da same pollz that had Shillary winning by 2 to 3 points in teh popular vote!?

U liberalz never stop trying to distert teh trooth!

Not sure if I missed someone posting this, but Menendez (D-NJ) trial resulted in a hung jury and a mistrial, so there is no chance he will have to step down prior to Christie leaving office.  Thus, taking away the possibility of Republicans picking up a 53rd seat. 

I haven't been following the details of the case that carefully.  After the Bob McDonnell conviction was thrown out, it is pretty obvious that bribery of politicians is no longer illegal in this country.  So if this went to trial and got even some of the jury convinced, he probably did it.  I hope he gets primaried. 

27 minutes ago, Mexal said:

New Fox poll has Jones up by 8 pts over Moore.

The one part that gives me pause is that they also tested a hypothetical Jones-Strange head-to-head, and Jones is leading that by 10 points. 

Strange is not popular in Alabama either and its possible Moore supporters throw a fit when given a poll without him as an option, so maybe that's legit. But it also possible that the poll just has too many Democrats in it. I wish they had also tested Jones-Sessions head-to-head, since Sessions is extremely popular in Alabama. If Sessions was winning that in a blowout, I'd feel more confident that the poll is right about Jones-Moore.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

:rofl:

I think Zelt is pretty keen, but on this one he doesn't have the right of it.

I agree with what Mudguard said in the Scandal thread:

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

Franken is guilty at least of sexual harassment... And if Franken's fingertips were touching her breasts, that's sexual assault.

No matter what, it's sexual harassment. Only if his hands made contact with her is it groping too.

With what I know at this point I don't want Franken to resign over this. I want there to be some repercussions towards him for this though. Exactly what, I don't know. Also, yes if the scandal and accusations worsen it will be time for him to start thinking resignation.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Everyone should resign so we can just start over.

Reboots are all the rage right now.

37 minutes ago, Fez said:

The one part that gives me pause is that they also tested a hypothetical Jones-Strange head-to-head, and Jones is leading that by 10 points. 

Strange is not popular in Alabama either and its possible Moore supporters throw a fit when given a poll without him as an option, so maybe that's legit. But it also possible that the poll just has too many Democrats in it. I wish they had also tested Jones-Sessions head-to-head, since Sessions is extremely popular in Alabama. If Sessions was winning that in a blowout, I'd feel more confident that the poll is right about Jones-Moore.

It does make you wonder if there terrible polls are an attempt to get him to drop out, not that it would ever work with Moore.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Pretty much already have Collins, Johnson and Corker against this bill. Hard to see how it passes at this stage.

I actually think McCain is more likely to vote against the bill than Corker.  Reminder:  McCain was one of 3 (then 2) Republicans to vote against both the Bush tax cuts.  Pretty sure Collins is a hard no, especially as long as the mandate repeal is in there. 

That being said, I think it's wrong to count Johnson as a hard no.  He's essentially Paul-lite in terms of being contrarian and cantankerous.  Remember he was the one grandstanding by intensely arguing with McConnell on the floor during the July healthcare vote, only to vote yay minutes later.  I suspect they can get his vote with minor concessions.

Murkowski is definitely a yay due to good old fashioned logrolling - they've tied opening up ANWR to the bill.  Should be noted that could harden McCain's position, who has always been against it.  So, I think Collins is a definite nay and McCain likely.  I'd venture to guess that means it will boil down to either Corker or Flake.  The good news is both have reason to just say fuck you to Trump along with a lack of reelection incentive.

55 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I haven't been following the details of the case that carefully.  After the Bob McDonnell conviction was thrown out, it is pretty obvious that bribery of politicians is no longer illegal in this country.  So if this went to trial and got even some of the jury convinced, he probably did it.  I hope he gets primaried. 

Yep, pretty much this. Between Trump's obvious violation of ethics and Menendez, basically the only way you can be bribed is if you specifically get something of value for a very specific, noted action, and kept a receipt. If you want to get away with it, simply give the person tons and tons of stuff, and then at some point ask for favors without a specific gift. Thanks again, SCOTUS. 

Also, David Frum's viewpoint of the autocracy of the US continues to be on point over and over - scandals get leaked on both sides, everyone just hates politics and has no enthusiasm, everyone's "just the same", etc.

Pretty much. The Supreme Court has gone insane on this. You need to have someone handing a big bag of money to the politician and him signing a contract or get caught on tape saying he is doing this official act in exchange for this bag of money. The only thing that is saving us is that it's still illegal to bribe judges, FBI agents, etc. I'd watch closely for the corruption to spread downward in our country. It worries me immensely.

I had a Mexican American roommate, and he told me about flying back to his country and he had this TV he was going to give someone. And the soldiers were harassing him to give it to them. He broke the TV.

10 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

That being said, I think it's wrong to count Johnson as a hard no.  He's essentially Paul-lite in terms of being contrarian and cantankerous.  Remember he was the one grandstanding by intensely arguing with McConnell on the floor during the July healthcare vote, only to vote yay minutes later.  I suspect they can get his vote with minor concessions.

Agreed. It's also important to keep in mind that this is absolutely going to a conference committee, so they can make promises now of future changes. 

Archived