US politics: Alabama Jones and the Temple of Moore

IheartIheartTesla

23 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

The problem is we are never going to get spending in control because there are not many actual deficit hawks in Congress, just a lot of fake ones. Our politics of the last few decades has basically been cycles of Republicans insisting on austerity during the time of Democratic administrations. Then, during Republican control of Washington they allow the Republican President to pull out the credit card for wars and tax cuts, along with massive payments to the military industrial complex.

Yup. It's why I hate that the concept of a "tax and spend liberal" has been so ingrained in the American public's mind while nobody ever points out that Republicans have essentially become "tax cuts and sp end conservative." 

Also, you've got to start @ing people when you don't directly quote them, otherwise they might miss your responses.

Also, you've got to start @ing people when you don't directly quote them, otherwise they might miss your responses.

What is @ing people? Am I quoting wrong? I just basically paste in people's comments, then highlight them, then hit quote. Thanks. I didn't really take much time to learn the board, I just started using it.

5 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

What is @ing people? Am I quoting wrong? I just basically paste in people's comments, then highlight them, then hit quote. Thanks. I didn't really take much time to learn the board, I just started using it.

The quote is sufficient if folks have notifications turned on. Otherwise you could use @Martell Spy, which serves the same function, methinks.

32 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I think Zelt is pretty keen, but on this one he doesn't have the right of it.

I agree with what Mudguard said in the Scandal thread:

No matter what, it's sexual harassment. Only if his hands made contact with her is it groping too.

grope
ɡrōp/  
verb
verb: grope; 3rd person present: gropes; past tense: groped; past participle: groped; gerund or present participle: groping
  1. 1.
    feel about or search blindly or uncertainly with the hands.
    "she got up and groped for her spectacles"
    synonyms: fumble, scrabble, fish, ferret, rummage, feel, search, hunt
    "she groped for her glasses"
    • search mentally with hesitation or uncertainty for (a word or answer).
      "she was groping for the words which would express what she thought"
    • move along with difficulty by feeling objects as one goes.
      "she blew out the candle and groped her way to the door"
  2. 2.
    informal
    feel or fondle (someone) for sexual pleasure, especially against their will.
    "he was accused of groping office girls"
    synonyms: fondle, touch; More
    informalpaw, maul, feel up, touch up
    "one of the men started groping her"
noun
noun: grope; plural noun: gropes
  1. 1.
    an act of fondling someone for sexual pleasure.
    "she and Steve sneaked off for a quick grope"

A guy standing in front of a woman pretending to touch her breasts for a picture is not 'groping'. If he touched her, even accidentally, that could be an assault. But to suggest it was a sexual assault under criminal legislation is far fetched.
    There has to be some groping actually going on for it to be groping. There has to be intent.

Archived