US politics: Alabama Jones and the Temple of Moore

IheartIheartTesla

It's a bit like 'thoughts and prayers' after a shooting. Republicans love to pay lip service to veterans. They will praise veterans to the high heavens in public and demand that everyone else does too. But when it's time do actually do something of substance, well, that's a horse of a different colour. 

It also gets rid of the "New Markets Tax Credit" that encouraged investment in poor areas and the individual deduction for high medical expenses.

But it will be a good thing! Close those loop holes!

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/BREAKING-NEWS/On-Page-254-of-Republican-Tax-Reform-Plan-br-i-A-line-item-that-puts-the-screws-to-military-veterans-i-3023331

50 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

The thing to understand about chickenhawks is: They love the idea of war.

Cleaning up the aftermath of war? Well not so much.

45 and the R's love to tell us that the tax reform bill will create jobs.  I guess they have to destroy jobs in order to save them.  

wait.......

I've heard such as that before, didn't work that time either.

The Guardian took a look at cases in which Judge Moore dissented as an Alabama Supreme Court judge, and found 10 interesting cases where he challenged the protection courts give to under-age victims of sexual assault.

It's almost as if he wanted to pave the way for a defense of being lured by them 16 year old temptresses....

I guess all those clergy members who said those children and youth seduced them should have their cases reviewed.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/14/roy-moore-alabama-law-rape-victims-judge

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The Guardian took a look at cases in which Judge Moore dissented as an Alabama Supreme Court judge, and found 10 interesting cases where he challenged the protection courts give to under-age victims of sexual assault.

It's almost as if he wanted to pave the way for a defense of being lured by them 16 year old temptresses....

I guess all those clergy members who said those children and youth seduced them should have their cases reviewed.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/14/roy-moore-alabama-law-rape-victims-judge

These little minxes can be very alluring.

I imagine Moore got very hot under the collar at the thought that two fifteen year old girls were having an affair with each other.

51 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

45 and the R's love to tell us that the tax reform bill will create jobs.  I guess they have to destroy jobs in order to save them.  

wait.......

I've heard such as that before, didn't work that time either.

The entire notion of praising “job creators” needs to end immediately. It’s such a joke.

I noticed that Republicans are studiously avoiding the term 'trickle down' a debunked concept, yet surely this is the central theme of the tax changes?

I've heard various objections to provisions in the proposed legislation, yet I have not heard anyone speak against removing the alternate minimum tax provisions, which leaves me kinda speechless.

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I noticed that Republicans are studiously avoiding the term 'trickle down' a debunked concept, yet surely this is the central theme of the tax changes?

I've heard various objections to provisions in the proposed legislation, yet I have not heard anyone speak against removing the alternate minimum tax provisions, which leaves me kinda speechless.

This has rather shocked me as well, and I made the point in a post in a previous thread that Rachel Maddow's scoop on DJT's 2005 tax summaries that were much-maligned at the time shows us that Trump stands to benefit immensely by the repeal of the AMT. He claimed around $150m in income that year, but only would have owed around $4m in taxes, until the AMT kicked in and brought his tax bill up to around $35m.

Trump stands to benefit bigly from tax reform.

I knew there'd soon enough be stories coming out about alleged sexual harassment/assault by sitting members of Congress, and that some of those members would be Democrats.

I'm still disappointed to find out that Al Franken is one of them. There's even a photo.

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

This has rather shocked me as well, and I made the point in a post in a previous thread that Rachel Maddow's scoop on DJT's 2005 tax summaries that were much-maligned at the time shows us that Trump stands to benefit immensely by the repeal of the AMT. He claimed around $150m in income that year, but only would have owed around $4m in taxes, until the AMT kicked in and brought his tax bill up to around $35m.

Trump stands to benefit bigly from tax reform.

Sort of. The AMT removes the deductions for State and Local taxes, miscellaneous itemized deductions, as well as adjusting for depreciation. Donald Trump would owe more tax based on losing the deductions for State and Local taxes. 

Since the tax plan removes the deduction for State and Local taxes, this is the rationale for removing the AMT. 

3 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

Sort of. The AMT removes the deductions for State and Local taxes, miscellaneous itemized deductions, as well as adjusting for depreciation. Donald Trump would owe more tax based on losing the deductions for State and Local taxes. 

Since the tax plan removes the deduction for State and Local taxes, this is the rationale for removing the AMT. 

You know what? In Canada we have never been able to deduct municipal and provincial taxes and we still have minimum tax laws.

11 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

Perhaps, but we will never really know until he actually releases his tax returns. Plus I doubt that DJT actually paid $31m in SALT that year.

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Sen. Al Franken accused of sexual assault in 2006 while on a USO tour.

Really hope this isn't true.

Kinda hard to deny when there are pictures.

He'd better apologize pretty quickly or there will be demands for his head.

There's a long tradition of doing things to sleeping soldiers, sleeping anyone, sleeping drunks, like shaving off half a mustache or half a head of hair.

The question is, did he actually fondle her or did he just put his hands in front of her? My expectation is that he didn't actually fondle her, but that may be wishful thinking.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There's a long tradition of doing things to sleeping soldiers, sleeping anyone, sleeping drunks, like shaving off half a mustache or half a head of hair.

The question is, did he actually fondle her or did he just put his hands in front of her? My expectation is that he didn't actually fondle her, but that may be wishful thinking.

They were on a USO tour, so I'm wondering if it's a skit rehearsal or something like that. I've seen some chatter that this woman is on Hannity from time to time because she worked/works for Fox Sports, so there could be an agenda at work here.

Waiting to hear response from Franken and really curious to hear what the picture taker has to say.

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

She's wearing a kevlar vest in that photo? Good luck touching anything there.

Honestly I’m not surprised by this at all. Comedians are probably the group most likely to do things like this, and Franken has some other things in his past to suggest that he’d find something like this to be funny. He caught a lot of flak during his 2008 campaign for a rape joke he told in the 90’s.  

Archived