Jon is not in the line of succession

1 hour ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Agreed. Even barring all of that there are ways to get out of the NW. They were going to allow Maester Aemon out to be King because he was next in the line of succession. 

Robb was going to buy out Jon from Night's Watch, by giving instead of him 100 other men. Add this with case of Aemon, and it seems that there are ways out of NW, even for living people.

There's no need to even argue about the possibility of leaving the NW. We have this from the author himself:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Nights_Watch_Oath

The second concerns the oaths of the Night Watch, Maesters, King's Guard, silent sisters, etc. Both Robb and Stannis, and presumably Robb's great lords, thought it was possible that Jon could be released form his oaths. Other than the precedent established by Joffrey with Ser Barristan, is there any other past precedent with any of the other organizations were the members swear poverty, celibacy, etc. to be honorably released from their vows? I ask because if the NW has been around for 8000 years, and many great lords and/or their families may have joined (not entirely willing in some cases), there seems to be a lot of potential for "exceptions" to develop as time went on.

Yes, there have been a few other cases, but they have been very rare. Such vows are taken very seriously.

So we know from the author that is it possible (but rare) to be released from an oath. Those saying that there is no possible way for Jon to be (legally) released from his NW oath are blatantly wrong.

10 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Jon will never be legally free of the oaths that he took.  If he should come back to life he will be expected to honor those oaths.  What I find silly is the double standards that Jon's fans are claiming.  That Jon will be relieved of those oaths if he gets resurrected is false.  

I do not believe R+L=J, so you and I will disagree. 

The vows Jon swore have a massive loophole in them. No one is expecting someone to come back from dying because death is the most final thing there is. 

That said though, and me being a Jon fan, the way I see it is that he may no longer be part of the Night's Watch after he is brought back, but he will never be completely free of his vows because he will still stand with the Night's Watch when the time comes to fight the Others. I don't see him bailing or washing his hands off this. He started something as lord commander and he will see it through. He may leave the Wall, he may rule the north, he may discover this new family, he may play the game, but his priority will still be the Wall and the long night.

I don't know what more he could do as lord commander. Meanwhile, the north is vulnerable and needs to be ready for what's to come.

We go around in circles with this discussion. There is a simple solution actually, and all might be right.

Right now, with all the informations we have, Jon is not in the line of succession, no matter if he is Rhaegars son or not. He is, in consideration of all the informations we have, a bastard and therefore not in the line of succession. 

But this may (not must) change in the future books. We have no idea which new informations GRRM will put in future books. Did we knew about Young Griff until book 5? Did we had him in consideration as a potential successor until this book? No, it was impossible to predict that. GRRM won't just lineary write down the series with everything just moving forward as it is right now. There are gonna be twists in the story, that no one can predict, simply because that is the nature of twists. If GRRM is planing to make Jon the heir for the Iron Throne, he will reveal something in the next books that we can't possibly know right now. 

We just have to wait and see, where this story is heading. Discussions are a great thing, and I also love participating, but this topic is of such nature, that we simply can't say who may be right and who may be wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

Right now, with all the informations we have, Jon is not in the line of succession, no matter if he is Rhaegars son or not. He is, in consideration of all the informations we have, a bastard and therefore not in the line of succession. 

:agree:

Until George says otherwise Jon is a bastard who has no claim to Winterfell or the Iron Throne so cannot be in the line of succession for either. 

I don't know why we are bitching over succession as the situation currently stands. Lets not forget that the DodD 2.0 is still to come not to mention the second Long Night. The power dynamics could drastically change between those two events.

As far as personal opinion goes, I don't think that Jon will actually sit the Iron Throne but rather that he will fulfill the duty of a king as per Davos: " And I know that a king protects his people, or he is no king at all." And lets not forget Varys's story about power lying where people believe it lies.

1 hour ago, Dragonsbone said:

We go around in circles with this discussion. There is a simple solution actually, and all might be right.

But this may (not must) change in the future books. We have no idea which new informations GRRM will put in future books. Did we knew about Young Griff until book 5? Did we had him in consideration as a potential successor until this book? No, it was impossible to predict that. GRRM won't just lineary write down the series with everything just moving forward as it is right now. There are gonna be twists in the story, that no one can predict, simply because that is the nature of twists. If GRRM is planing to make Jon the heir for the Iron Throne, he will reveal something in the next books that we can't possibly know right now. 

We just have to wait and see, where this story is heading. Discussions are a great thing, and I also love participating, but this topic is of such nature, that we simply can't say who may be right and who may be wrong. 

Agreed. My stance is only that there is plausible ways Jon could be in the line of succession. What drives me crazy is when people say he can not be, no possible way. When we know there are possible ways. Will they happen? Maybe, maybe not. Even if they do I don't think Jon will sit the IT. 

Also I don't even understand why the line of succession in the Targ dynasty matters when a "Baratheon" sits the throne & anyone who wants it is going to have to take it by right of conquest. Now it may matter to whom ever conquers the 7K. For instance if Dany were to conquer the 7K & take the IT to find out fAegon &/or Jon actually have the better claim it may matter to her but as it stands it really doesn't 

9 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Agreed. Even barring all of that there are ways to get out of the NW. They were going to allow Maester Aemon out to be King because he was next in the line of succession. 

Although with Maester Aemon, it was his maester vows that they were getting ready to release him from. 

But your point stands. This is essentially another order that serves for life that would have had to bend its rules and the High Septon offered to absolve him of his vow. 

I find that putting it like this does put things in a different perspective, especially when we start talking about legitimacy and whatnot.

10 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Aemon wasn't in the NW when they wanted him to become King. If i'm remembering that right.

On 23.11.2017 at 10:38 PM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Like @Ygrain said a marriage to Daenerys

<- How to add to post this red thing with nickname? Can't find how to do this :unsure: Help.

19 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

If not for Joffrey's and Cersei's stupidity, he'd most likely still be in King's Landing serving Tommen, had they not fired him and shamed him in public.

It was Varys' suggestion to free Barristan. Even Tywin later was surprised why did they "fired" him, and that it was a stupid thing to do.

But if Barristan is a secret Blackfyre, and Varys is working for Blackfyres, then by what Varys did, he made it easy for Barristan to get away from KL, and go to Essos and join with Blackfyres loyalists.

Who knows, with Daenerys currently missing and her whereabouts unknown he could get word that Rhaegar's son is in Westeros fighting for the Throne and seek him out for a spot in his KG. Maybe he's going for some type of record?

He pledged to 1. Aegon V, 2. his son Jaehaerys, 3. Aerys II, 4. Robert, 5. Joffrey, 6. Dany.

But when he was leaving KL, he said that he's going to look for his real King. Not a Queen. Thus I think that Jon will be his lucky number 7. His real King.

I think that he may be a Blackfyre, and like some of Blackfyres/Targaryens he has a gift of premonition, see visions, etc. And he had a revelation, that to find his real King he has to go to Essos, and pledge to Daenerys Targaryen, and eventually she will lead him to his King. Also Dany's mission is to bring dragons and Blackfyre sword to Jon.

It's basically the same thing as was told to Dany - "To go north, you must go south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow." In Barristan's case, to find his King, he had to go and find a Queen, and then this Queen will find for him his King.

22 hours ago, Megorova said:

I meant that fAegon's contribution to main event of the ASOIAF (the war against Others) will be to leave the sword for Jon to take it, when fAegon will be eliminated.

hmmm, ok, I'll bite. And how do you see this going down then?

Option 1 (simple version): fAegon will die. Either he is a pretender, maybe a Blackfyre or maybe not, but not a real Aegon Targaryen. Dany's dragons will burn him, when he will lie to her that he is her relative. Or he is real, but he will die anyway, in a battle against Lannisters. 

So after his death, the Blackfyre sword will be left without a master. Maybe Dany will give it to Barristan. And after it will become known that Jon Snow is the real Aegon Targaryen, the VII (because Elia's son was going to be crowned as Aegon VI), then the sword will be given to Jon.

In this scenario Barristan could be a Blackfyre, or not.

Option 2 (complicated version): in this one Barristan is a Blackfyre. Furthermore there are a few more other Blackfyres, and each of them have their own goals. Some of them want to gain power, to seize Iron Throne and 7K. Others believe in the prophecy about the PTWP, and they want to fulfill it. Some of them believe that the PTWP is a Blackfyre (fAegon), others believe that it's a Targaryen and not a Prince, but a Princess - Dany. Others (like Barristan) believe that the PTWP is someone else, though the way to him/her is either thru fAegon or thru Dany. Others believe in The Dragon (like Illyrio), and some of them doesn't care to which dragon to bend the knee, as long as he/she will give them what they want/need. But others think that it is neccessary to unite Blacks and Reds, to make sure that the prophecy will be fulfilled. If they will help one of the Dragons, but it will turn out that they have chosen the wrong person to support, and real PTWP, without help from others, won't be able to realise his/her potential, and thus will fail to save the world from Others. So to stay on the safe side, they should marry two dragons, and support them both. 

When they will eliminate each other, or will forge a peace for the sake of the greater good, then Jon will come on the main stage. He will get Dany, dragons, Blackfyre sword, defeat the Others, and be crowned as King of 7K, Aegon VII The Savior.

And for those that think, that it is utterly ridiculous, that Barristan Selmy could be a Blackfyre, because he has served to Targaryens, was their Kingsguard; loved Rhaegar; saved Aerys from his imprisonment at Duskendale; nearly died while fighting for Targaryens in the battle at Trident; killed Maelys I Blackfyre in single combat, ending the male line of the Blackfyre Pretenders; so what?

In history of Westeros there was another Blackfyre loyal to Targaryens, who even killed for their sake his own kin, 4 other Blackfyres (Daemon I Blackfyre, his twins Aegon and Aemon, and his fifth son Aenys Blackfyre) - Lord Bloodraven, Brynden Rivers.

Barristan Selmy could be a Blackfyre.

37 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Aemon wasn't in the NW when they wanted him to become King. If i'm remembering that right.

You are correct & I was thinking he was in the NW. He didn't go to the NW until after he was offered the crown. But as @Widow's Watch said it is still an order that serves for life, oaths are taken to serve. So the point still stands. Thanks for correcting me though :)

13 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

You are correct & I was thinking he was in the NW. He didn't go to the NW until after he was offered the crown. But as @Widow's Watch said it is still an order that serves for life, oaths are taken to serve. So the point still stands. Thanks for correcting me though :)

Do the Maester serve for life though? If a Maester wanted to leave the order they could though and members can get kicked out. You don't get kicked out of the NW, you get beheaded. Oaths are taken and there similar to NW but I don't think they serve for life with the fear of death if they leave the order. 

10 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Do the Maester serve for life though? If a Maester wanted to leave the order they could though and members can get kicked out. You don't get kicked out of the NW, you get beheaded. Oaths are taken and there similar to NW but I don't think they serve for life with the fear of death if they leave the order. 

You may be right. I guess I assumed they served for life but with Qyburn we know they can lose their chain without losing their head. I guess that makes that example pretty null & void. 

I do still think that asoiaf shows us there can always be an exception to the rule & rules are bent/changed in certain circumstances. So I still believe Jon can be relieved of his NW vows in a plausible manner if that's the direction Martin chooses to take the story. 

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

And lets not forget Varys's story about power lying where people believe it lies.

Absolutely!  If Jon becomes King, it will be because he has earned it, either through conquest or deeds.  And his supporters will use any plausible connection to the Targaryens to justify his crowning.  That also goes for anyone else who gets crowned. 

There are a lot of claimants, and no single "rightful" claimant, for just about any position worth having, because that's the way the author has set things up.  Lines of succession and the like are pretty much meaningless at this point.  They are too tangled to make much sense of, which is a deliberate choice of the author.

2 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

You may be right. I guess I assumed they served for life but with Qyburn we know they can lose their chain without losing their head. I guess that makes that example pretty null & void. 

I do still think that asoiaf shows us there can always be an exception to the rule & rules are bent/changed in certain circumstances. So I still believe Jon can be relieved of his NW vows in a plausible manner if that's the direction Martin chooses to take the story. 

Yeah, I agree Jon can be relieved of his NW vows. It's just hard to say how that will happen with how the NW vows are and without ever hearing someone leaving the NW freely with his head still on. Theres a first time for everything, I guess. The KG use to serve for life too until Barristan. Like you said though, George will find a way if thats the direction he wants to go.

18 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I don't think the example is null and void.

The maesters are like the NW and the KG, they swear to take no wives, hold no lands and father no children. If they don't serve for life, then there's no need to have them forswear all that stuff. And they might have some kind of Hippocratic oath that goes with the rest of their vows since they are also healers. 

Cressen is like eighty when he dies, and Archmaester Walgrave had dementia or Alzheimer's and they leave him his title even though he can't perform his duties. Maester Aemon was blind for years and 102 years-old when he died, and he was still performing his duties. And there's also Grand Maester Pycelle.

Theory how Barristan Selmy could be a secret Blackfyre.

(This is slightly connected to main topic, because Barristan will (could) be the one, who will give Blackfyre sword/Lightbringer to Jon, and he will also crown Jon as next King of 7K, and he will marry Jon and Dany, solidifying Jon's claim of Iron Throne.)

Could be that House Selmy were loyalists of Blackfyres, and one girl from Blacks, was lover of their Lord, and Barristan's mother.

Spoiler

In 233 AC, Aenys Blackfyre came to 7K, to attend Great Council at King's Landing. If he arrived to Westeros together with his daughter or niece, then before going to KL, he left her at Harvest Hall, Selmy's castle. Maybe she was daughter of Calla Blackfyre and Aegor Rivers - Bittersteel Blackfyre, founder of Golden Company.

There she fell in love with Lyonell Selmy, and in 236 or 237 gave birth to his son, Barristan. She stayed at Harvest Hall after death of Aenys, because the weather was too dangerous for a return journey to Essos.

"Aegon's reign began during a harsh winter which lasted from 230 AC until 236 AC."

"In 233 AC, during the Great Council in 233 AC, Daemon's uncle, Haegon's younger brother, Aenys Blackfyre, had tried to make his claim, and travelled to King's Landing, but he was arrested and killed on the orders of Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers.[3] This caused the enmity of the exiles in Essos to harden, instead of lessen. As a six-year, cruel, winter was ending, Daemon decided to make the crossing.[1] "

Or she stayed because she fell in love. Or because she was waiting for other Blackfyres to arrive to 7K, and avenge death of Aenys.

"The end of winter saw the return of the Blackfyre Pretenders, with the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion taking place in 236 AC. Daemon III Blackfyre attempted to seize the Iron Throne with the Golden Company, but few rallied to his side. Aegon and his sons rode to meet and repel the invaders, and Duncan the Tall slew Daemon in single combat, ending the rebellion. Aegor Rivers, known as Bittersteel, managed to flee with the remnants of the Golden Company across the narrow sea."  

Then either she died after giving birth to her son. Or she left the baby with Lord Selmy, when she went back to Essos, together with Aegor Blackfyre. Later she gave birth to her second son Daemon, who may be Barristan's half-brother from another father, or maybe second son of Lyonell Selmy.

"He was a cousin of Maelys I Blackfyre and a captain-general of the Golden Company."

"Daemon fought with his cousin, Maelys, over the command of the Golden Company. Maelys killed Daemon's destrier with a single punch, and then twisted Daemon's head until he tore it from his shoulders."

So when Barristan killed Maelys during War of the Ninepenny Kings, it was revenge for death of his brother/half-brother Daemon.

"During the War of the Ninepenny Kings Barristan slew Maelys I Blackfyre in single combat, ending the male line of the Blackfyre Pretenders. Selmy had to cut a bloody path through the Golden Company just to reach him.[13][10][8][16] The remaining members of the Band of Nine had little to no interest in conquering Westeros, and soon returned to their own domains."

Why House Selmy and House Swann (where Barristan served as squire) could be loyalists of Blackfyres (and members of House Swann, maybe even Blackfyres themselves):

Spoiler

1. House Selmy and House Swann are from Dornish Marches, and marcher lords supported Blackfyres:

"After Dorne joined the Seven Kingdoms peacefully, King Daeron II Targaryen raised Summerhall in the Dornish Marches. Resentment by the marcher lords toward the Dornish influence at Daeron's court was one of the causes of the First Blackfyre Rebellion.[23]

King Maekar I Targaryen was slain fighting a rebellious lord on the Dornish Marches[24] during the Peake Uprising.[25]"

"Anguy, a commoner from the marches, wins the archery competition at the Hand's tourney.[26]" <- This Anguy guy is Blackfyres' spy. They are using tournaments as a cover for their secret meetings. Same thing was done prior Blackfyres' Second Rebellion. They used wedding/tournament at the castle Whitewalls, to gather Blackfyres' loyalists and prepare them for overthrowing Targaryens.

At the Hand's tourney, besides Anguy other frequent participants of various tournaments were Balon Swann, and Jalabhar Xho, an exiled prince from the Summer Isles (descendant of "Xhobar Qhoqua, an exiled prince from the Summer Isles who was one of the infamous Band of Nine during the War of the Ninepenny Kings."

Both of them are from Summer Isles, and their names are also similar: Jalabhar Xho - Xhobar. Thus - they are relatives.)

2. House Swann was mentioned by Blackfyres' loyalist, Eustace Osgrey, among other houses that was, or could have been supporters of Blackfyres:

"The Osgreys were a prominent family who intermarried with such great families such as the Florents, Swanns, Tarbecks, Hightowers and Blackwoods."

"According to legend, the Florents, the Balls, and the Peakes descend from the three husbands of Florys the Fox."

It isn't known to whom Florents were loyal during Blackfyres' Rebellions, though other two houses - Balls and Peakes rebelled against Targaryens.

"Ser Quentyn Ball, better known as Fireball, was the master-at-arms at the Red Keep during the reign of King Aegon IV Targaryen. Aegon promised to name Quentyn to the Kingsguard, but he died before he could fulfill that promise. When a spot opened during the reign of his son, King Daeron II Targaryen, Quentyn was passed over. This was the major contributing factor to Quentyn siding with Daemon Blackfyre during the First Blackfyre Rebellion."

"Lord Gormon Peake was a fierce supporter of Daemon I Blackfyre and was considered one of the finest knights during the reign of King Daeron II Targaryen. After they chose the side of House Blackfyre in the failed First Blackfyre Rebellion, they had two of their castles stripped from them, leaving them only Starpike.[2] Gormon was a part of Daemon II Blackfyre's entourage at the Whitewalls wedding tourney in 211 AC, and was subsequently executed for treason.[1][2]

The Peakes rose against the Iron Throne in the Peake Uprising in 233 AC. King Maekar I Targaryen's helm was crushed by a rock hurled from the battlements of Starpike."

So if two houses out of that legend, were against Targaryens, it's more than likely that third of them also was against Targaryens. Also this third House, Florents, married one of their ladyes, Selyse, to Stannis Baratheon, 2 or 3 years after Robert's Rebellion. So I wouldn't say that they could be loyal or ever were loyal to Targaryens.

"Before marrying King Maegor I Targaryen, Lady Jeyne Westerling was wed to Lord Alyn Tarbeck." <- Targaryens stole fiancee from Lord of House Tarbeck.

"Ser Eustace Osgrey recalled that scions of House Osgrey married Tarbecks, and that during the First Blackfyre Rebellion the Tarbecks supported both sides."

"The Hightowers were strong supporters of the greens against the blacks during the civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons.

Three of the Hightowers' bannerhouses (the Costaynes, Mullendores and Beesburys) fought for the blacks, however."

"Lady Melissa Blackwood was the sixth mistress of King Aegon IV Targaryen and the mother of three Great Bastards, Mya, Gwenys, and Brynden Rivers, the last of whom became known as Lord Bloodraven." <- even though Brynden was loyal to Targaryens, I don't think that House Blackwood was Ok with King dismissing Lady Melissa from his court, even though she gave birth to three of his children.

3. Barristan was squire of Lord Swann, even though he could have served at one of three other castles, that were closer to Harvest Hall, Selmy's castle, than Swann's castle, Stonehelm - Ashford, Blackhaven and even Summerhall. Or at any other castle in Westeros. So probably there was a reason why Barristan went specifically to Lord Swann. Maybe because both, Selmy family and Swanns, were supporters of Blacks? And for Barristan, who himself was half-Blackfyre, it was a good place to stay.

"Ser Barristan Selmy squired for Ser Manfred Swann as a boy. Barristan later rescued Lady Jeyne Swann and her septa from the Kingswood Brotherhood."

4. On Swann's sigil there's white and black swans. Black swan is white swan's reflection. Like in a mirror. So the meaning of Swann's sigil, is that at heart they are Blacks.

5. Lord of House Swann pretends to be ill, but sends both of his sons to support different sides of conflict, during War of Five Kings.

The same thing was done by Lord of House Butterwell, during First Blacks' Rebellion. And during Second Rebellion, he hosted rebels in his castle.

"The Butterwells attempted to keep one foot in each camp during the First Blackfyre Rebellion.[1] Lord Ambrose's eldest son fought for Daeron while his second son fought for Daemon."

"In the War of the Five Kings, Gulian pleads illness and takes no part. Having participated in Robert's Rebellion, Gulian has no intention to committing more lives to future wars.[5] His sons represent Stonehelm in several causes, however.

The heir to the house, Ser Donnel, is first with Renly Baratheon and then with Stannis."

He gets a name Ser Donnel the Constant:

"Renly, Stannis, Joffrey, Tommen how did he come to omit Balon Greyjoy and Robb Stark? He might have been the first knight in the realm to swear fealty to all six kings."

Second brother Swann "Balon supports Joffrey in King's Landing during the War of the Five Kings."

6. Balon Swann is connected to two people, that under suspicious circumstances tried to kill two Lannisters: Mandon Moore - Tyrion Lannister, Gerold Dayne - Myrcella Baratheon. Both murder attempts failed, supposedly by pure accident, and intended victims were only wounded. Tyrion thinks that Cersei ordered to Moore kill him. And Cersei thinks that Gerold is a catspaw of Tyrion. But I think that both of them are working for Blackfyres. Same as Balon Swann. He was supposed to be with Tyrion, when Moore tried to kill him, but he wasn't there at that moment. Also according to his last known whereabouts, currently he is supposedly looking for Gerold, together with Obara Sand. Though he knows exactly where Gerold is, because they work together.

Also it's possible, that Barristan is father of fAegon:

Spoiler

fAegon's mother could be Jeyne Swann.

"Ser Barristan Selmy rescued Lady Jeyne and her septa from the Kingswood Brotherhood defeating the Smiling Knight and killing Simon Toyne.[1]".

After that the Brotherhood disbaned, it was in 281. Could be that this assault was staged by Blackfyres, to create an opportunity for Jeyne to seduce Barristan. And the morning after, they were wedded by the septa, that so conviniently just happened to be Lady Jeyne's fellow traveler. If Jeyne became pregnant, she could have given birth to her son, either in 281 or 282.

And Aegon Targaryen was born either in 281 or 282. So when real Aegon was killed in KL, Blackfyres just happened to have similar looking boy of the same age, thus Varys gave that boy to Jon Con, and lied to him that it is son of Rhaegar.

One member of Brotherhood is currently Brother of Night's Watch - ranger Ulmer. When Jon and Barristan will meet, Ulmer will recognise Barristan, because he killed leader of Brotherhood. And he will tell him that Jeyne Swann hired them to pretend attacking her, for Barristan to save her. Though originally they were supposed to run away, when they were confronted by Barristan. But their plan was ruined, because he was passing by that location not alone, but in a company of other Kingsguards.

Also could be that Barristan is a greenseer. And sometimes he can see the future, but only a few seconds ahead. That's how he managed several times, to avoid being killed, or saved others:

Spoiler

1. "In the end it was the young Barristan Selmy who cut a bloody path though the Golden Company's ranks to slay Maelys the Monstrous, the last of the Blackfyre Pretenders in single combat, and ended the threat to the Seven Kingdoms.[11][12][13]"

2. "Selmy disguised as a hooded beggar climbed the walls of Duskendale in the dead of night, walking through the town streets cloaked and hooded he approached the Walls of Dunfort, scaling the walls of the castle, and slaying a sentry before the man could raise the alarm. Selmy through stealth and courage found his way to the dungeons and freed Aerys and led him to the upper levels. During the escape attempt, Barristan slew two guards and Ser Symon Hollard, avenging the death of his sworn brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt. He and the King rushed to the stables, Selmy slaying all those who tried to intervene as the alarm was being raised. Selmy and King Aerys mounted on stolen horses charged out the Dunfort gates before they could be barred and raced through the streets of Duskendale to the towns walls eventually escaping.[19][13] Selmy, took an arrow to the chest during the rescue."

<- this arrow was going to hit his heart, but he saw it in a vision, and had a second to move away a bit. Or maybe this arrow was going to hit Aerys, and thus Barristan foreseen it, and got in its path.

3. "Wounded by arrow, spear, and sword at the Battle of the Trident."

<- all three attacks were supposed to be deadly, but his ability saved him again.

4. "Selmy enters the White Sword Tower to edit his White Book entry, dutifully recording his own dismissal.[13] Upon leaving the Red Keep, Janos Slynt orders his men to seize Barristan. Though he does not have his sword, Selmy kills the gold cloaks sent after him and flees the castle.[18][31][32]"

5. "when a Sorrowful Man attempts to assassinate Daenerys by presenting her with a box containing a manticore, Barristan knocks the manticore from her hands and kills it."

I know that this theory is pure :bs: , but the funny thing, is that so far in ASOIAF books, there's nothing that contradicts possibility of this events.

Archived