Video Games: May the force of your wallet be with you

Corvinus85

17 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Fallout 4  is really a FPS set in the Fallout universe, which is absolutely fine. It just needed to have been advertised as such and not as an RPG, which it isn't.

Thats exactly what it is. The problem is that its not a very good FPS ( I tend to play with VATS mostly anyway) and its a pretty horrible RPG. It still manages to have enough elements that mean I enjoy the game and I like the world they created, but it could have been so much more.

I will say that putting the game on Survival mode revolutionised Fallout 4 for me. It was far tenser and many of the elements they introduced actually made sense. Suddenly creating bases was a good idea and was useful for instance.

Picked up a Steam Link in the sale. It arrived today and given I paid virtually nothing for it (it was £3.50 in the sale plus P&P which took it up to about £10, but I had Steam trading cards which I flogged to reduce the entire package to £1.50), it's a pretty impressive bit of kit. I was shocked they even threw in a HDMI cable for free with it. I streamed my PC desktop to it wirelessly and have full access to my music library, apps and games on my big TV and soundbar. I'm seriously tempted to save money by cutting my TV box (which I primarily use for Netflix anyway) since I can now stream Netflix to the TV from my PC with this instead.

The other big feature, playing games from elsewhere in the house, works really well if the link can be hooked up with a network cable (using the powerline as a LAN works pretty well with it, although that adds to the cost). Wirelessly the lag is too high to allow the playing of RTS or FPS games, but it works pretty well for turn-based games.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Three years after release, players in Elite: Dangerous have visited 18,800,000 stars in the galaxy. Or about 0.0047% of the total.

Wait, so that thing that No Man's Sky lied about having already existed in another game!?!

I hate to treat you like a personal google, but what's up with that Star Citizen game? I thought it was supposed to hit beta.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Wait, so that thing that No Man's Sky lied about having already existed in another game!?!

I hate to treat you like a personal google, but what's up with that Star Citizen game? I thought it was supposed to hit beta.

No Man's Sky has more stars than Elite: Dangerous but they are far more boring and they are not arranged in their correct astronomical position. OTOH, they have lots of whacky space aliens and wildlife in their game, which E:D doesn't (yet).

Star Citizen is on its third pre-release version. At the moment it looks like we're going to get the single-player campaign Squadron 42 in about a year's time and Star Citizen itself in 2020 (which is six years behind schedule). The game recently passed $160 million in funding, because people are idiots.

I think it's really cool that Elite: Dangerous maps out the stars in their correct locations within the galaxy (as much as they can) and update systems to match real-life exoplanet discoveries.

Also, I was the first player to visit an un-visited star over the weekend... no monumental achievement since they're not too hard to find, but still neat.  It was a boring binary system with no planets

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Last of Us remastered. 

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This.  You can thank us later.

Also, feel free to join us in the general Video Games thread.  Great discussion and recommendations in there.

Playing now. So guuud! I'm normally not super interested in remasterings, but the game really benefits from the PS4's power.

Playing now. So guuud! I'm normally not super interested in remasterings, but the game really benefits from the PS4's power.

It was my first game for the PS4 and still my favorite by far.  The story hits you in the feels and I loved sneaking up on dudes like a post apocalyptic Jack Bauer.  :D 

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

It was my first game for the PS4 and still my favorite by far.  The story hits you in the feels and I loved sneaking up on dudes like a post apocalyptic Jack Bauer.  :D 

I kill people and don't fuck around with it. But it hurts, 'cause deep down I'm just human.

I've been researching PS4 games for my son ahead of Christmas but I'm not finding a great range for his age.  At age 11 he has outgrown the Lego* games now but he isn't ready for the mature nature of most of the biggest titles; plus we want to play couch co-op style, which already limits the selection of games.  Over the past few months he has played Gauntlet: Dark Legacy with me on the PS2 and really enjoyed the simple fun of an arcade dungeon crawler with a variety of settings, bosses and monsters in each round, leveling up the character with experience points and a variety of loot and special weapons.

I took a look at the new Gauntlet for PS4 but it looks far too dark and gloomy and much less fun in the combat.  I think Diablo III and Viking Wolves of Midgard could be a good fit, and he thinks Broforce looks hilarious.  I thought he might like Metal Slug, but he prefers Broforce for some reason.  Besides those, I've looked at reviews and youtube samples for dozens of other games without seeing anything that would fit well.  The Final Fantasy series and similar seem to emphasize style and anime graphics over actual play experience (which hasn't changed since my original exposure to Final Fantasy VII a loooong time ago).  Ratchet and Clank looks too similar to the Lego games.  He's not enough into sports for Fifa, Madden or NBA games. 

*We have Lego Star Wars TFA, Lego Marvel Avengers, Lego Marvel something else -- all well made and great fun for young players, but very basic game-play to just solve a series of puzzles.

Any other suggestions?

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It would appear that I made a monster mistake not grabbing a PS4 on Cyber Monday. Saw one as low as $200, now it's back to $399. 

Lame!

I did the same mistake , Hate myself for it.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Is Last of us open world ? 

I kill people and don't fuck around with it. But it hurts, 'cause deep down I'm just human.

There is actually one thing I would like Naught Dog to do with TLOU if they make a 3rd game, which was done for Metal Gear Solid 4 so not original. Make it so that it's possible to play through the entire game without killing anything that isn't one of the infected. I believe in MGS4 there was a trophy for getting through the game with zero kills.

It would put a new dynamic on playing a game, knowing that a specific goal is (or can be) to not kill anyone makes every kill a choice. It's easy to see killing in games as simply necessary actions in order to get through a game. If you don't kill the requisite number of people you can't get to the next part of the game.

We know it's possible to make enjoyable non-lethal games, after all I believe all the Arkham games involve Batman killing exactly zero villains, though I think some villains do die by other means. So it definitely can be done, and I for one am starting to enjoy games that require a lot of killing far less than I used to. Reduced murder rate games are my preference these days. 

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

There is actually one thing I would like Naught Dog to do with TLOU if they make a 3rd game, which was done for Metal Gear Solid 4 so not original. Make it so that it's possible to play through the entire game without killing anything that isn't one of the infected. I believe in MGS4 there was a trophy for getting through the game with zero kills.

It would put a new dynamic on playing a game, knowing that a specific goal is (or can be) to not kill anyone makes every kill a choice. It's easy to see killing in games as simply necessary actions in order to get through a game. If you don't kill the requisite number of people you can't get to the next part of the game.

Both Dishonored and Deus Ex have this as an option and is even rewarded. Dishonored 2 even has the choice to completely do the entire game without powers. 

These nonlethal runs are super hard and incredibly fun.

7 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I've been researching PS4 games for my son ahead of Christmas but I'm not finding a great range for his age.  At age 11 he has outgrown the Lego* games now but he isn't ready for the mature nature of most of the biggest titles; plus we want to play couch co-op style, which already limits the selection of games.  Over the past few months he has played Gauntlet: Dark Legacy with me on the PS2 and really enjoyed the simple fun of an arcade dungeon crawler with a variety of settings, bosses and monsters in each round, leveling up the character with experience points and a variety of loot and special weapons.

I took a look at the new Gauntlet for PS4 but it looks far too dark and gloomy and much less fun in the combat.  I think Diablo III and Viking Wolves of Midgard could be a good fit, and he thinks Broforce looks hilarious.  I thought he might like Metal Slug, but he prefers Broforce for some reason.  Besides those, I've looked at reviews and youtube samples for dozens of other games without seeing anything that would fit well.  The Final Fantasy series and similar seem to emphasize style and anime graphics over actual play experience (which hasn't changed since my original exposure to Final Fantasy VII a loooong time ago).  Ratchet and Clank looks too similar to the Lego games.  He's not enough into sports for Fifa, Madden or NBA games. 

*We have Lego Star Wars TFA, Lego Marvel Avengers, Lego Marvel something else -- all well made and great fun for young players, but very basic game-play to just solve a series of puzzles.

Any other suggestions?

Rocket League is a very different kind of sports game so that's worth considering even if you are not into sports games.  With the exception of perhaps Dragon Age games I've played more hours of Rocket League than any other game. And you can pay split screen with up to 4 players. If you are into irl sports then it could be a good fit, if you are not into sports irl or virtual then it might not be your thing.

Ratchet and Clank is still fun even if similar to Lego style games, I still enjoy playing them. But IMO the remake of the original game for PS4 (as a tie in for the abominable Ratchet and Clank movie) was my least favorite R&C game. You could also check out the Crash Bandicoot remake. It's the original PS1 Crash Bandicoot game fully remade for the PS4. Seems like it was a remake done right.

Towerfall Ascension is a good arcade game you can play with up to 4 payers.

If you are OK with blasting a whole swag of alien invaders then Alienation is a fun twinstick top down shooter that you can play coop.

There is also a Jak and Daxter trilogy remaster. One of my most favorite game series. Though if you still have a functional PS2 then you might already have the originals.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Rocket League is a very different kind of sports game so that's worth considering even if you are not into sports games.  With the exception of perhaps Dragon Age games I've played more hours of Rocket League than any other game. And you can pay split screen with up to 4 players. If you are into irl sports then it could be a good fit, if you are not into sports irl or virtual then it might not be your thing.

Ratchet and Clank is still fun even if similar to Lego style games, I still enjoy playing them. But IMO the remake of the original game for PS4 (as a tie in for the abominable Ratchet and Clank movie) was my least favorite R&C game. You could also check out the Crash Bandicoot remake. It's the original PS1 Crash Bandicoot game fully remade for the PS4. Seems like it was a remake done right.

Towerfall Ascension is a good arcade game you can play with up to 4 payers.

If you are OK with blasting a whole swag of alien invaders then Alienation is a fun twinstick top down shooter that you can play coop.

There is also a Jak and Daxter trilogy remaster. One of my most favorite game series. Though if you still have a functional PS2 then you might already have the originals.

Thanks for suggestions.  I saw Rocket League and wanted to stick with co-op rather than versus play.  I'll look at Crash Bandicoot.

I had looked at Towerfall Ascension and Alienation.  The both seem fun in gameplay (we have some classics like Galaga), but the graphics are basic that I doubt they'll feel cool to him.  They're reminiscent of 1980's arcade play.

I have not heard of Jak and Dexter, I'll check it out.

Archived