Video Games: May the force of your wallet be with you

Corvinus85

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

After feeling overwhelmed sorting out my level 50 characters.  I stepped back and got on the Sith Sorcerer at level 13.  Once I get the hang of that, I will continue the others.

@Ferrum Aeternum Do companions not have their own armor any more?  My big ugly guy could equip a weapon and a character customization, but didn’t seem to have armor slots.

They can equip for cosmetic purposes, but they no longer have stats. Your "Presence" stat which is still present on a few items will boost their power a bit. Apart from that, they've all got a baseline power level and similar basic abilities to fulfill any of the 3 roles. They're also massively OP compared to how useful they were before. 

ETA: Just read the "big ugly guy" part. :lol:  A few comps don't have cosmetic armor customization either, Khem Val being one of them. You can customize the look of the human and near-human ones (with some exceptions, namely certain comps you get in the expansions).

Last of Us 2 panel at PSX was underwhelming. No new content, which isn't surprising I guess considering the trailer from the other month, but was still holding out hope for something. Druckmann confirmed E318 will be the next content drop.

Spellforce 3 was released this past Thursday. I don't recall playing the first one, but I did play the second one, which I quite enjoyed. I think I'll try this one out, but later, when it's on sale, as the game is reportedly buggy now. Has anyone tried it?

More information on Thrones of Britannia, including the campaign map and some of the factions.

I think Creative Assembly have made a big mistake here. Clearly no-one knows what the hell "A Total War Saga" is and a lot of people have written it off as DLC for Attila. They should have just called this Britannia: Total War.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

More information on Thrones of Britannia, including the campaign map and some of the factions.

I think Creative Assembly have made a big mistake here. Clearly no-one knows what the hell "A Total War Saga" is and a lot of people have written it off as DLC for Attila. They should have just called this Britannia: Total War.

You linked an interview from July, where they explain what a TW Saga is, but there is no info on Britannia. I would say anyone who takes the time to read the interview should not be confused about what they're trying to do here. 

Considering that now CA has the personnel capacity to both move forward with new projects, and backwards with additional content for old stuff, I think fans, in general, will be pleased with all this extra content. The one thing that would be really annoying is if this stand-alone game turns out to have DLCs of its own. 

And that being said, cry-baby fans have been upset with recent delays for Warhammer II DLCs.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Seems like a money spinner for them, I wonder if it’s stand alone because Rome 2 was so bad and Attila didn’t sell enough to justify making a dlc for it ( I don’t know if that’s true btw)

either way I don’t especially like the idea, if it’s anything like Age of Charlemagne then it’s a waste of time, that was the least inspiring expansion I’ve experienced since playing the game.. and I’ve beem playing since shogun 1!

Excellent!

You can get Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (which a lot of people seem to rate as the best one) for free for the next few days from Ubiplay.

You can also get Grim Fandango Remastered (one of the best adventure games ever made) for free from GoG for the next few days as well.

Shantae: Half Genie Hero DLC pack #2 is out! This one is more puzzle-y, kind of a Lost Vikings vibe where you have to switch between three characters (Bolo, Rottytops, and Sky), each with different abilities.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Any recommendations on what controllers or accessories to buy and what to avoid for the Switch?

I bought an extra set of Joy Cons and a controller base to slide them in that also doubles as a charging station.  Super handy.  Has a micro USB to plug it in I think.

Ive thought about buying an extra TV base for it to hook up to another TV so I can move it to other rooms when I want, but have not done it yet.

Yeah a controller adapter thing that charges the joy-cons is recommended if you're gonna play for long periods in docked mode. I've had one of the joy-cons die a few times. 

The only thing I'd say to avoid is that third party dock that was messing up people's systems. 

20 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Any recommendations on what controllers or accessories to buy and what to avoid for the Switch?

The Joycons are very good and even superior for some games (Splatoon 2, sometimes Mario Odyssey) but I really enjoy having the Pro Controller- I even bought two. They're very comfortable with excellent battery life, basically everything I want from a controller.

If you think you'll be downloading lots of games and apps, you'll need a micro-SD card for storage. I bought a 64 gig one and haven't used it yet, but I'm sure it'll be useful one day.

In terms of games to get: Zelda and Mario are the big ones, of course. I can't stress enough how much I loved both games. Zelda in particular is one of the best games I've played in years and years, and it'll eat up many hours of your life. 

For multiplayer, there are some great options available. Mario Kart 8 is the best local multiplayer game available. Splatoon 2 is fantastic, a very fun online shooter (and this is coming from someone who usually hates shooters) but there is no local multiplayer, which was a huge downside for me. Rocket League is available for $20 and was an obvious purchase for me; I loved it on PC, and having it with the convenience of the Switch is fantastic. And then, of course, there are the Jackbox party games, which are silly fun.

Other games... well, there are ports of Skyrim and LA Noir, both of which are supposed to be fine, but LA Noir doesn't interest me and I can't justify buying Skyrim again for less than 10 bucks. Mario vs. Rabbids is supposed to be a great tactical strategy game in the vein of X Com, if you're into that sort of thing. The most recent big game is Xenoblade 2: I really enjoyed the first one, and it's gotten very good reviews, but it's a giant, cheesy JRPG with insanely complicated battle systems, and clearly not for everyone (I watched the beginning of a Let's Play and decided the voice acting and general anime-ness was too much for me).

But one of the Switch's greatest strengths is how great it is to play indie or smaller games on. Something like Sonic Mania I couldn't really imagine sitting in front of the TV to play- but handheld, in bed or in a comfy armchair, it's perfect. Definitely see if there's anything on the E-Shop that appeals to you.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:58 AM, Kalbear said:

The pro controller is an excellent controller - it's basically an xbox one. That's my choice for playing docked - it's far more comfortable than using the joycons in a grip.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:58 PM, Kalbear said:

No firsthand experience yet but I'm thinking of picking up one of the 8bitdo controllers that looks like an SNES controller, the word of mouth on them is good: https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SN30-Controller-Windows-macOS-Android/dp/B0748S1VDC/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1513423267&sr=1-4&keywords=8bitdo&th=1

EDIT: I ended up buying a 2-pack right after I posted this. $50 for one, $68 for 2.

3 hours ago, Inigima said:

No firsthand experience yet but I'm thinking of picking up one of the 8bitdo controllers that looks like an SNES controller, the word of mouth on them is good: https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SN30-Controller-Windows-macOS-Android/dp/B0748S1VDC/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1513423267&sr=1-4&keywords=8bitdo&th=1

EDIT: I ended up buying a 2-pack right after I posted this. $50 for one, $68 for 2.

That's awesome!!!!!!!  I've never seen those.  Let me know how they work.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:29 AM, Rhom said:

That's awesome!!!!!!!  I've never seen those.  Let me know how they work.

Oops... I got my order today and, um, accidentally ordered a 2-pack of the older ones that don't have the analog sticks or secondary L/R buttons. I'll let you know in a few days when the correct one arrives. These feel nice though, just like an SNES controller.

EDIT: The "wrong" ones did properly pair with my desktop PC, and it feels great.

Alright, made a list of the games im getting in 2017, gotta finish Digital Devil Saga 1 first (optional boss included) and might get DDS2 before the end of the year.

1. Soul Calibur 6

2. Dragon Ball Fighter Z

3. Bloodstained

4. Code Vein

5. Nioh (out already, I know)

6. Street Fighter Anniversary collection

It's gonna be fun.

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Trailer for the Tomb Kings DLC for Warhammer II. They have a giant Egyptian statue which fires lasers from its eyes, and to be fair is that not what we wanted all along?

Fuck, yes!!! To be fair, the game already had a dinosaur shooting a laser bolt from atop its back, so this is just continuing the tradition. :P

Archived