Video Games: May the force of your wallet be with you

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Um, plug it into a power socket, plug the HDMI cable into the TV, done. I'm not sure how much easier it can get. If you have the Switch dock already connected to the TV then yes, it is much easier to connect Switch to the TV. But if you are taking the whole thing to a new location to play it on another TV, then wouldn't Switch and PS4 have pretty much exactly the same level of technical savvy required to set up?

It is true, PS4 is not designed for portability. Indeed if you lug it around too much you are likely to cause some internal damage and break it. I'm guessing that in the interests of saving on cost and weight, some components of the PS4 are a bit fragile, because you are expected to plug it into a TV and leave it there for its entire useful lifetime. Switch is no doubt engineered to be able to take a bit more of a beating than PS4 (or Xb one), because you are expected to take it to exotic locations and expose it to all sorts of stresses that a home console is not intended to experience. But to suggest that connecting PS4 (or Xb one) to a TV is challenging in any way is rather overstating things.

I am more thinking about the lug it around part of it, not the act of connecting it to the TV.  I should have been clearer.

1 hour ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I am more thinking about the lug it around part of it, not the act of connecting it to the TV.  I should have been clearer.

The lugging around part?  Seriously?  That 5 pounds is oh so taxing.  The 5 pounds that fits easily into a knapsack or grocery bag plus two cords and a controller.  My god what a struggle that is to move around.  You are right the switch has less to carry around than that.  (It doesn't)

1 hour ago, Guy Kilmore said:

That's true, kind of. The whole comparison isn't really apples to apples from a portability perspective. It's kinda pointless to compare any home console to Switch in terms of portability, unless you are talking about lugging around the Switch docking station as well as the Switch itself, ie using it in its home console function not in its handheld function. In that respect I think the "easier" portability of the Switch is likely to be a sort of placebo effect. People view the Switch as a portable console, therefore they perceive the more or less same process of unplugging, packing up, lugging around, un-packing and plugging in with a normal home console and a Switch docking station as being easier to do with Switch. But in fact it's all pretty much the same.  

4 hours ago, Slurktan said:

The lugging around part?  Seriously?  That 5 pounds is oh so taxing.  The 5 pounds that fits easily into a knapsack or grocery bag plus two cords and a controller.  My god what a struggle that is to move around.  You are right the switch has less to carry around than that.  (It doesn't)

Not heavy, delicate.  But yeah, the ps4 is sold for it's portability.....?

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's true, kind of. The whole comparison isn't really apples to apples from a portability perspective. It's kinda pointless to compare any home console to Switch in terms of portability, unless you are talking about lugging around the Switch docking station as well as the Switch itself, ie using it in its home console function not in its handheld function. In that respect I think the "easier" portability of the Switch is likely to be a sort of placebo effect. People view the Switch as a portable console, therefore they perceive the more or less same process of unplugging, packing up, lugging around, un-packing and plugging in with a normal home console and a Switch docking station as being easier to do with Switch. But in fact it's all pretty much the same.  

I have both, it really isn't.  I can move the switch around with more ease and certainty than the ps4.  But neither are difficult.  Just, as you said, the PS4 is more delicate.

Eta: The docking station is also not delicate and very light.

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's the whole point.  It's not apples to apples because the Switch is built to be more portable.  It is its main selling feature that rips into a multi-billion dollar mobile gaming market, while also competing in a multi-billion dollar console market.  You can play it on a big TV, pause it, then take it with you and continue your game on the bus.  No console does that.  No handheld does that.  It is a fact that it's more portable than a PS4, and arguing against that fact is kind of stupid.

Archived