Video Games: May the force of your wallet be with you

Corvinus85

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

You've got quite a while to wait. Squadron 42 might sneak it out before the end of the year as a single-player game but Star Citizen itself still hasn't got its netcode properly sorted, which is a bit of a weakness for an MMO.

We might get the new Bethesda game (whatever it is) this year if they pull another Fallout 4 on us (announce and release 3 months later) but Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't sound too likely for this year (E3 might tell us more though). Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be out in a few months which might scratch that open world RPG itch for a while and Phoenix Point sounds like it will be an autumn release.

Hey Wert, I don't think we've had direct communication in years man. It's Sivin, if it rings a bell. 

I'm not particularly hopeful for SC or S42 really, I've been hoping for a Bethesda stealth release like you mentioned as I wonder if studios could get marketing costs under control by making a single big explosion of interest rather than a sustained fire. I have been keeping an eye on that Kingdom Come game, as well as the new Battletech game from Paradox. 

I could also give that Ubisoft game a chance if it's not full of Ubisoft, but we'll see. I really needed to upgrade my rig, it's about 5 years old now and I've been unfortunately rough on it in my exodus. I'm breaking a sweat with Fallout 4, occasionally the screen completely freezes for up to 15 seconds, and the sound card is on the fritz. 

It truly is a dark age. 

On 1/2/2018 at 2:20 PM, Fez said:

I will get the new Zelda eventually; lotta games to get through first (and for now the Switch is specifically only for gaming while traveling). Does the Master Sword also degrade or is it a unique exception (or is it not available for regular use)? It'd be pretty lame if it also breaks.

Finished my replay of Portal and Portal 2; those are still fantastic games, and it's a real shame Valve doesn't make actual, new games anymore. Next up: Cosmic Star Heroine.

I also picked up a Switch for the holiday and I've loving Zelda so far.  The Master Sword does degrade, but in a different way.  Its attack damage decreases instead of its durability.  Not using it for about 5 mins with recharge the AD.  If you get the expansion there is a Master Sword challenge, I cant remember the name, but if you finish the it you double the AD for the Master Sword.

19 hours ago, WinterFox said:

Hey Wert, I don't think we've had direct communication in years man. It's Sivin, if it rings a bell. 

I'm not particularly hopeful for SC or S42 really, I've been hoping for a Bethesda stealth release like you mentioned as I wonder if studios could get marketing costs under control by making a single big explosion of interest rather than a sustained fire. I have been keeping an eye on that Kingdom Come game, as well as the new Battletech game from Paradox. 

I could also give that Ubisoft game a chance if it's not full of Ubisoft, but we'll see. I really needed to upgrade my rig, it's about 5 years old now and I've been unfortunately rough on it in my exodus. I'm breaking a sweat with Fallout 4, occasionally the screen completely freezes for up to 15 seconds, and the sound card is on the fritz. 

It truly is a dark age. 

Holy Shit!   I remember some good sivin discussions.

How's life?  

32 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Holy Shit!   I remember some good sivin discussions.

How's life?  

What's up man! Life is life, you know? Donald Trump is president, so that's taken up a fair amount of my time. But hey life's a garden man. Oh and I'm a chick now, so that's also been going on. 

Played the Life is Strange Before the Storm in one big binge now that its all out. I enjoyed it, way better than it had any right to be though it didn't reach the overall heights of the first season for me the second episode was one of my favourite of the whole series.

Though the third episode, like the 5th of the first season felt a bit sloppy and rushed out the door and was definitely the weakest of the three.

Spoiler

For example a lot of weird scenes that seemed out of place like the unnecessary stalker showing up to slow down the plot in a story that really didn't need a secondary antagonist + the whole destroying evidence and stealing from the DA felt just off to me.

And the final conversation with Rachel's mother was strange I kept on expecting the conversation to end with Chloe waking up for real and finding the OD'd body, but nope.

The prequel series for me was at its best when Chloe and Rachel were interacting so to have the later only be present for about 20-30 minutes in a 3+ hour long episode felt like a misstep and it showed to me.

Plus I've always liked the band Daughter so the soundtrack was a treat.

Now I'm torn between Night in the Woods, Hyperlight Drifter or just going back to the ol reliables of Total War Shogun 2 or Stellaris

In Witcher 3 I got to Kaer Morhen, completed most of the stuff there and now have the quest to raise my allies to fight the Wild Hunt. 53 hours in, all side-quests (that I've found) done, just a couple of outstanding contracts that I might do now for the hell of it. I've got a lot of treasure hunts still to do but they seem a bit unnecessary as my current gear is the shit anyway.

Is it a good idea to do the Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine expansions within the Witcher 3 storyline or is it better to finish the base game first and then do them? I think I'm not far from the bit where you have to make that decision and it cuts you off from doing stuff not related to the game's finale.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

In Witcher 3 I got to Kaer Morhen, completed most of the stuff there and now have the quest to raise my allies to fight the Wild Hunt. 53 hours in, all side-quests (that I've found) done, just a couple of outstanding contracts that I might do now for the hell of it. I've got a lot of treasure hunts still to do but they seem a bit unnecessary as my current gear is the shit anyway.

Is it a good idea to do the Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine expansions within the Witcher 3 storyline or is it better to finish the base game first and then do them? I think I'm not far from the bit where you have to make that decision and it cuts you off from doing stuff not related to the game's finale.

I'd say finish the base storyline first and then do the expansions.  Blood and Wine pretty much wraps up the series.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

I don't want to get too spoiler-y, but the Kaer Morhen fight against the Wild Hunt is not the game finale. You will get additional chances to wrap up any contracts or treasure hunts later, before the actual finale.

I also found treasure hunts to be fun for their own sake, regardless of the actual in-game value of their loot, since most of them feature interesting locations and fun bits of lore.

2 hours ago, Gorn said:

I don't want to get too spoiler-y, but the Kaer Morhen fight against the Wild Hunt is not the game finale. You will get additional chances to wrap up any contracts or treasure hunts later, before the actual finale.

Yeah, the game goes on for a surprisingly long time after that. It was not what I expected when I was playing through it.

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

Hearts of Stone you could do whenever, it's like a (longer/better) Bloody Baron style questline that doesn't tie into the main quest. Blood and Wine is like a conclusion for Geralt, so do that last.

18 hours ago, Rhom said:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Batman Telltale Series are both free for PS+ members this month.

Well then, I'd best get them. Not a fan of FPS, but why look a free, well reviewed, story based gift horse in the mouth, aye?

Is it important, recommended or irrelevant to have played DX HR before playing mankind divided?

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well then, I'd best get them. Not a fan of FPS, but why look a free, well reviewed, story based gift horse in the mouth, aye?

Is it important, recommended or irrelevant to have played DX HR before playing mankind divided?

Wondering the same before I fire it up.

55 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'd say somewhere between important and recommended.  Mankind Divided is basically a direct sequel with the same main character and some of the same supporting characters.

I believe Mankind Divided does have a long video you can watch to catch you up on the events of the first game, although it's been ages since I played it so I may be mistaken.  Always wondered why more games don't do a "Previous On" segment at the start, considering it's often several years between installments.

I'd say yes. DX HR is the slightly better game. More importantly, it tutors you in how the game works much better than DX MD does. The sequel does seem to assume that everyone who has played it has already played the first game and it can be a bit steep without that experience.

Just make sure you get the Director's Cut version, which radically improves the game and fixes some problems with the original release.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'd say yes. DX HR is the slightly better game.

Interesting. I haven't seen as gushing praises about Mankind Divided and was under the impression that the opinions were more divided (pun intended). Good to hear it's still actually quite good - or are you of the opinion that Human Revolution was just OK ?

I think MD is just as good - it's just not just as new. They took the best parts of the lessons learned from the Director's Cut and made them excellent choices, and the game is significantly more free-form and open to options that matter. 

The two flaws against it are that the story isn't nearly as good and it's short. The combat is better, the bosses are significantly better, and the flow of the game works a lot better than before.

Archived