Corvinus

Video Games: May the force of your wallet be with you

406 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2017 at 1:17 PM, Proudfeet said:

They will just make "expansions" instead. You can't complain if the expansion is required to play in the first place and they just need to maintain the playerbase until they release their next rehash.

They have already promised (and detailed out what is coming) that all DLC will be free for Battlefront 2.  Its to stop what what happened in the last game where it fractured the player base, so expansions won't be coming.  My guess is they will just get rid of all pay to win elements in the loot boxes and then put them back in.  I'm actually pretty impressed though that they got rid of it even temporarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Slurktan said:

They have already promised (and detailed out what is coming) that all DLC will be free for Battlefront 2.  Its to stop what what happened in the last game where it fractured the player base, so expansions won't be coming.  My guess is they will just get rid of all pay to win elements in the loot boxes and then put them back in.  I'm actually pretty impressed though that they got rid of it even temporarily.

No season pass this time then?

Anyway, I didn't think they would care about fracturing the player base seeing as this is what they did for their Battlefield games as well. They just reskin and release a new game to repopulate their the player base. Rinse and repeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Proudfeet said:

No season pass this time then?

Anyway, I didn't think they would care about fracturing the player base seeing as this is what they did for their Battlefield games as well. They just reskin and release a new game to repopulate their the player base. Rinse and repeat.

There is no season pass.  Battlefield 1 was a simple reskin was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

There is no season pass.  Battlefield 1 was a simple reskin was it?

Simple? No. Is it still substantially the same game? Seems like it. I don't buy EA games anymore. The last game I played was Battlefield 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Simple? No. Is it still substantially the same game? Seems like it. I don't buy EA games anymore. The last game I played was Battlefield 3.

I would say that there are elements present in Battlefield One that would make me say it's an appropriately different game than BF4 or 3 or Bad Company2 or Bad Company.

The operations mode (which is pretty much the only way I play) is pretty cool. The best way to describe it would be Rush on the scale of conquest with an evolving map. I'm not even sure if it would really work in a much different era of warfare, as WWI was pretty typified by thousands of men clawing their way through mud and rubble one inch at a time.

So, in short. I would contend that BF1 carries its weight as an independent entity, though I would never say the same of the other titles I mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Jace. BF4 was just the same game as BF3, but BF1 has enough differences to be considered a different game. Sure it still plays in a very similar way, and if you've played a recent BF game you'll understand everything almost immediately, but there's enough there to call it a different game in the same series, rather than a clone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got around to beating Sleeping Dogs, a 2012 release I have owned since early 2013. It is SO GOOD. Imagine if someone made a GTA game with characters and a story you cared about and stripped out most of the juvenile stuff. Absolutely loved it. It was so good I watched the credits.

Edited by Inigima

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing AC: Origins and it's pretty great. I haven't followed the last few games after not enjoying 3 and Revelations very much (nor Black Flag outside of the ship content) but this has been fun. The standout is the world design and setting, which is the best they've done. It reminds me of The Witcher 3 in terms of its size and detail. 

The downside is that there hasn't been a single interesting assassination yet. Every one has been "climb wall > jump assassinate the target". I'm getting Skyrim flashbacks where every quest seemed to be "walk into cave > stab guy/monster until dead". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. EA could actually be changing. I probably still won't play their games, but I might give them at least a look now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Inigima said:

I finally got around to beating Sleeping Dogs, a 2012 release I have owned since early 2013. It is SO GOOD. Imagine if someone made a GTA game with characters and a story you cared about and stripped out most of the juvenile stuff. Absolutely loved it. It was so good I watched the credits.

It's a very solid game. I enjoyed it a lot. Of all the GTA-alikes it's probably the best since the original Mafia, and certainly blows the likes of Watch_Dogs out of the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Inigima said:

I finally got around to beating Sleeping Dogs, a 2012 release I have owned since early 2013. It is SO GOOD. Imagine if someone made a GTA game with characters and a story you cared about and stripped out most of the juvenile stuff. Absolutely loved it. It was so good I watched the credits.

I started it yesterday (despite owning it for almost a year I think). It reminds me a lot of that GTA-like game (on PS2 era) that was set on New York, where you play a cop...
Only on Hong-Kong and without the issue of a too large city that was plaguing the New York thing.

EDIT: Ok, now I feel dumb. The game I mentioned is True Crime: New York. And actually Sleeping Dogs was supposed to be True Crime: Hong Kong... So, no wonder.

Edited by Pliskin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 1:50 AM, Eggegg said:

Yeah steamrolling has always been an issue in TW games. Once your empire is big enough its just easy and mostly it gets really boring to complete. They have made numerous attempts at fixing this, with the Vortex in WH2 for instance, but the issue still remains. It should be that large empires are hard to maintain and so end up being prone to civil wars and breakages, and I guess they have tried to do that before as well.

I know it sounds silly but I prefer these games when they aren't just about endless wars or building massive empires. I've enjoyed wood elf campaigns where I've sat in my little forest and tried to go out and fight evil forces without expanding for instance. Anything to play the game differently.

Can you complete the campaign that way? I got a decent amount of amber through military alliances, but objectives, quests and missions kept making me venture out. And you can't get enough Amber do all the research you want and have all the strongest units in your armies. I tried to limit my expansionist activities to only having buffer zones. But then The Empire AND Dwarf factions both declared war on me for no reason, so I ended up going on a vengeful rampage.

Even if you stay more or less confined to Athel Loren the rest of the factions will all pretty much fall to the Chaos Hordes. And if you wait for Chaos to arrive at the borders of Athel Loren you are pretty much toast. Though I suspect if Chaos goes after the Dwarf factions first they may get stopped in their tracks. They are tough SoBs and may be the only AI faction that can actually defeat Chaos. But even then you kinda need to play a faction that very much either supports them or stays out of their way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Empire: Total War campaign reached a spectacular moment when the entire game could have turned on the course of two turns. I nearly lost the Indian theatre when Persia invaded but managed to strike back, retook my lost city and then forced peace treaty on Persia they weren't keen on.

A turn later my war against Sweden nearly went balls-up when Sweden outflanked me and conquered Copenhagen in a lightning assault, knocking my Danish allies out of the fight. Fortunately I noticed that the Danes had put up one hell of a fight and the Swedish hadn't won by much, so I was able to capture Copenhagen in turn with a daring seaborne raid. This was just before France and Hanover declared war and drove off my fleet. Copenhagen has been assaulted four times by Hanover but I've managed to hold the city. My second army in Norway then knocked out a Swedish army in a brutal, evenly matched fight which I turned with a judicious flanking move. I rolled up their army but took some pretty heavy casualties. I besieged Stockholm but noted that the defending army was mostly citizen gunmen who are pretty weak but numerous.

It all came down to a final assault on Stockholm which went to the wire. I very nearly lost but managed to seize the fortress square and just about put them to rout. And then it turned out that Finland had rebelled, so Sweden was destroyed altogether, which has allowed me to consolidate and prepare to take on France. Phew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Werthead said:

My Empire: Total War campaign reached a spectacular moment when the entire game could have turned on the course of two turns. I nearly lost the Indian theatre when Persia invaded but managed to strike back, retook my lost city and then forced peace treaty on Persia they weren't keen on.

A turn later my war against Sweden nearly went balls-up when Sweden outflanked me and conquered Copenhagen in a lightning assault, knocking my Danish allies out of the fight. Fortunately I noticed that the Danes had put up one hell of a fight and the Swedish hadn't won by much, so I was able to capture Copenhagen in turn with a daring seaborne raid. This was just before France and Hanover declared war and drove off my fleet. Copenhagen has been assaulted four times by Hanover but I've managed to hold the city. My second army in Norway then knocked out a Swedish army in a brutal, evenly matched fight which I turned with a judicious flanking move. I rolled up their army but took some pretty heavy casualties. I besieged Stockholm but noted that the defending army was mostly citizen gunmen who are pretty weak but numerous.

It all came down to a final assault on Stockholm which went to the wire. I very nearly lost but managed to seize the fortress square and just about put them to rout. And then it turned out that Finland had rebelled, so Sweden was destroyed altogether, which has allowed me to consolidate and prepare to take on France. Phew.

Dope, man. I demand more updates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, As Jim Sterling said in a recent Jimquisition video 2017 is the year of the lootbox.

It seems that no only is it the year lootbox "gambling" became a favourite persistent revenue stream for most major publishers, but it also looks like 2017 is the year that lootbox gambling has got the serious attention of some regulators, because it seems corporations did what corporations always do in an unregulated environment: they take things too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This delightful video:

Would You Fuck an Alien?

made me want to play Mass Effect. I'm not sure if I trust old Rusty Rig to run them and I don't like M&K, but god only knows if my xbox still works. Wish me luck, folks. 

And yes, I would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to feel old, know that the original Mass Effect was released ten years ago today (er, yesterday, but still).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Destiny 2 continues to be a good time. Gotten kinda hooked on the cycle of it despite the repetitiveness. Do the weekly milestones, watch the numbers go up, grind the raid to try and get the full raid armor sets etc. I'm almost at the power level hard cap on all three characters now, and with today being reset day I'll be able to make a bit more progress tonight before I go out of town the rest of the week. Here's hoping to hit 305 on at least one of them. 

I am really looking forward to new raid content in the first DLC though. The current one becomes pretty trivial once you've done it a couple times since it's not really combat focused at all. Still fun to run through it though especially when you've got first timers in the group. 

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

If you want to feel old, know that the original Mass Effect was released ten years ago today (er, yesterday, but still).

Oh god that was my freshman year of university too...why would you do this? :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any of you played the Playstation VR?  Wondering how it is.  Especially Skyrim.

My brother is talking about getting it soon.  Curious if people think its worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Have any of you played the Playstation VR?  Wondering how it is.  Especially Skyrim.

My brother is talking about getting it soon.  Curious if people think its worth it.

Several places in the UK are selling it £100 cheaper this week, ibcluding VR Skyr, so I ordered it.  Will update wheb I get it in a few days.  Looking forward to trying It with Elite Dangerous :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.