1,000 Lord Commander of NW

Castellan

So a portentous number in the history of the Nights Watch commanders is approaching. Jon is 998th Lord Commander - who will be the 1,000th?

I think its possible it will be Jon - if the numbering works that way. Presuming he will be assumed dead for a while (and his body kept on ice or something while he wargs Ghost) and he will be replaced. But the 999th Commander could be short lived (given present difficulties) so by the time Jon comes back he could become the 1000th as well as the 998th.

Jon has so far kept to his duty pretty well and I can't see him becoming King. Barring catastrophic happenings like the Wall melting and the NW being disbanded, I think he'll probably remain in the NW.

Who do you think will be the 1000th?

So far, we have

Jon

Barristan

Jorah

Sam

Jaime

Mance

A wight! - e.g. Jeor Mormonts

Bran - as the last Lord Commander

i wonder if there is a place for Thoros on the Wall - maybe as a 'maester' of fire magic.

I think the Wall falls ~permanently~ under the 999th Lord Commander Bowen Marsh.

It would give extra weight to all of those disagreements between Marsh and Jon and really, those conversations didn't need to be that extensively laid out if their sole purpose was to give Marsh a motive to take Jon out. The tensions over the Wildlings have been laid out since AGOT. Unless Marsh becomes LC, a lot of those discussions become filler for me, though not the worst of the filler to be found in ADWD.

Whatever happens after will make the NW obsolete. Either it won't be needed at all, or what's required to do the job will be completely different than the NW. Just too much about how the NW is dying since the beginning of the series for me to think it goes on much longer.

8 hours ago, Lollygag said:

I think the Wall falls ~permanently~ under the 999th Lord Commander Bowen Marsh.

I agree. There won't be a 1000th Lord Commander. The Wall will fall (via Horn of Joramun, probably), and either the others will be completely defeated, or some kind of Second Pact will be signed where humans and Others will agree to permanent peace.

Not my theory, read it a bunch of other places, but... Stannis Baratheon.

He's almost certainly going to sacrifice the only thing he loves, Shireen, in the mistaken belief that he's the PTWP.  The failure of that will destroy his desire for a throne, but his sense of duty will compel him to continue the fight against the Others.

Moreover, he's the only character thus listed who has any real connection to the Wall, and who makes sense.  Sam is going to be the maester who chronicles all this shit that's going down.  Mance is a turncloak and a traitor.  Jeor is dead, Jorah (assuming he even survives) has no cachet with the Watch, ditto Jaime.  Versus Stannis, who saved the Night's Watch in the past.  Who is known as a top military commander in Westeros.  Who has the noble name and lineage that would mark him out for high office within the Watch, without any of the associated baggage of a Jaime or a Jorah.  

• 2 weeks later...

Either Jorah or Jaime will be the first LC of whatever new order sprouts up from the ashes of the night's watch.  The night's watch will fold before a 999th LC is elected, either due to the Others wiping them out or outright infighting / fighting with the wildlings after Jon's death.

Interesting takes on this.  Please allow me to offer up Jorah Mormont as a potential candidate...if the Nights Watch and/or Wall survive.  

I see the NW as the opposite of the Kingsguard, black cloak/white cloak as it were.  The Kingsguard has only been around 300 years, but they are an unsavory bunch.  I wonder if this bunch of miscreants can expect an end to their order as well?  

I don't think the number is a coincidence, but I don't know what it will mean either. I'm not even sure if it is 999 or 1000 (or both) that will be special as both numbers could be considered portentous.

I think Jorah Mormont is an interesting choice from a symbolic perspective given the history with his father, but it is hard to see how he would end up there. I don't believe there is any chance of him becoming the 999th commander, but after that I guess it is possible, although still find it unlikely.

I also like the symbolism of Jaime Lannister joining the nightswatch, exchanging a white cloak for a black. My pet theory involves him currently being en-route to the wall as Catelyn's bargaining chip to release Jon Snow from his vows to become King in the North. And of course it is handy that she has the power to resurrect him.

Archived